Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Multiple tries - none of the SmartSound files will install
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
When I did my initial installation of PD's content, two sound files were flagged as missing. Now I've tried SS for the first time today - the library can't be accessed at all. "The SmartSound data base could not be properly accessed."

I did a thorough un-install, including registry cleaning. Started over. This time when I ran the content install, every single music file for SS came up as un-installable. Nothing works.

Any clues?

rbowser

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 20. 2011 21:09

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
My question is where did you get Powerdirector 9?

Did you buy from a non-supported source?

Please post the infomation about your computer:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Parts A and B. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: My question is where did you get Powerdirector 9?

Did you buy from a non-supported source?

Please post the infomation about your computer:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Parts A and B.

Hi, Carl - Thanks for replying.

I bought PD9 Ultra 64 through "The Download Crew" which is on the list of approved merchants. That was the first site I saw with PD9 info, their price was nice ($70) and a hard copy of the program is on its way to me also.

I have PD version 9.0.0.2930

I'm also attaching the DX files so you can take a look.

BUT we may need to wait on figuring this out, because there are issues coming up on this (virtually brand new, custom built) computer. Various installation errors are cropping up suddenly, so the problem I'm having with SmartSound might be due to that, rather than anything about the download I purchased.

For instance, it was through this forum that I was told my Nvidia card's driver was one version behind. But when I downloaded and installed the new driver, my display was so messed up I had to use a restore point - but that's also an iffy factor, since other people are having issues with the new Nvidia drivers.

For now - I'm focusing on the strange things happening with my computer. I might have to do a clean install of the OS and start over - we'll see.

Thanks again for your reply, Carl.

rbowser
 Filename
64rbowserDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
44 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
217 time(s)
 Filename
rbowserDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
79 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
209 time(s)
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The only thing I see that concerns me in your 64 bit dxdiag.txt is:

Drive: C:
Free Space: 91.9 GB

You should have 100 GB of free space on your C: drive, Powerdirector 9 is real picky about that.

And the sound device is USB audio. I don't know if that is a bad thing.
I prefer a built into the motherboard audio. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: The only thing I see that concerns me in your 64 bit dxdiag.txt is:

Drive: C:
Free Space: 91.9 GB

You should have 100 GB of free space on your C: drive, Powerdirector 9 is real picky about that.

And the sound device is USB audio. I don't know if that is a bad thing.
I prefer a built into the motherboard audio.

Hello again, Carl - Yes, it looks like I need to somehow free up more space on my C drive (only has programs and OS) - It's partitioned, so I'll probably need to do some partition shuffling to make it larger. There's nothing I can un-install from C, I need everything there.

But I doubt if not having the full recommended head room of 100 gigs would be preventing these sound files from being installed. I'm afraid these problems could very well be due to something messed up with my OS, and that's why we're in the middle of contemplating a wipe and clean OS install.

I use an external sound interface because my main occupation is producing music. Onboard sound cards are woefully inadequate for working in programs like Sonar - in fact, they don't work at all. So I have to keep my onboard card disabled so my interface is the sound device for all programs.

Thanks again.

rbowser
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi rbowser -

Which version of SmartSound QuickTracks is installed? Check in SmartSound > About

I've had various issues with the SS module, but never the one you've described.

One issue I had was resolved by downloading & installing QuickTracks from SmartSound Support http://back.smartsound.com/support/Quicktracks518.zip

... speaking of which, you'll find SS Support very helpful.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you, Tony - I couldn't see where to get info on Smart Sound>About-- But I downloaded the zip you posted. After running the two exe files (Quicktracks 5.1.8 exe and SmartSoundCommonData.exe)--it looked like everything was being installed.

But when I then tried to access SS through PD, the Windows Installer came up, trying to install the program again, but saying it can't find the .msi installer. This is the pop-up I get often now, things being unable to install correctly.

So - things are still as they were - Nothing from SS available in PD, because the install failed.

I'll try getting help from SS support - but first I have to continue investigating what's going on with my computer. Numerous things are failing, and all due to the Windows Installer not working right - Like I've re-installed my LightScribe software many times, and the log file says it's installed, but my computer can't find it - says it doesn't exist, even though I can see the program files there on the C drive. All very messy and discouraging.

rbowser

Quote: Hi rbowser -

Which version of SmartSound QuickTracks is installed? Check in SmartSound > About

I've had various issues with the SS module, but never the one you've described.

One issue I had was resolved by downloading & installing QuickTracks from SmartSound Support http://back.smartsound.com/support/Quicktracks518.zip

... speaking of which, you'll find SS Support very helpful.

Cheers - Tony
[Post New]
rbrowser;
Where have you installed PD9? The same location for all the installations and re-installations??
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: rbrowser;
Where have you installed PD9? The same location for all the installations and re-installations??

Ah - I posted the same DXDIAG files that I'd generated before I installed PD9. Hence the confusion, Fred - Here, I'm attaching new ones that I just now ran.

This afternoon I attempted a "repair install" of Windows 7 from disc. All was going fine until the very last minutes it went to a BSOD, I re-started, and I got the message "The upgrade was not successful. Your previous version of Windows is being restored."

There's something very wrong with my new machine, sorry to say.

rbowser
 Filename
rbowserDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
82 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
254 time(s)
 Filename
64rbowserDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
44 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
226 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 21. 2011 19:03

[Post New]
No confusion. I was asking if during the re-installs and uninstalls, etc, had you installed PD9 to different drives. DXDIAG wouldn't tell that.

None if this sounds like a PD9 issue and it sounds like you have some issues with the registry:
attempted a "repair install" of Windows 7 from disc. All was going fine until the very last minutes it went to a BSOD, I re-started, and I got the message "The upgrade was not successful. Your previous version of Windows is being restored."

That is certainly an unclear message. Sounds like the disc and your current Windows are different. I would try using the Recovery facility in Control Panel to find your OLDEST restore point (just MY suggestion) and try THAT! That will necessitate the re-installation of some of your programs, but the data should be intact.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Aug 21. 2011 19:26

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: No confusion. I was asking if during the re-installs and uninstalls, etc, had you installed PD9 to different drives. DXDIAG wouldn't tell that.

None if this sounds like a PD9 issue and it sounds like you have some issues with the registry:
attempted a "repair install" of Windows 7 from disc. All was going fine until the very last minutes it went to a BSOD, I re-started, and I got the message "The upgrade was not successful. Your previous version of Windows is being restored."

That is certainly an unclear message. Sounds like the disc and your current Windows are different. I would try using the Recovery facility in Control Panel to find your OLDEST restore point (just MY suggestion) and try THAT! That will necessitate the re-installation of some of your programs, but the data should be intact.

Thanks for the post, Fred - I see, I thought maybe you meant you couldn't find PD9 in that report. But it's good that I now have this current DxDiag up.

So, no, I've kept PD9 in my Program Files along with all my other programs on the C drive. I didn't move it. Project files and data I keep on a different drive.

I agree that what I'm experiencing isn't a PD9 issue. My new computer has been having install/un-install issues for a couple of weeks now. Anything that needs the Windows Installer has a problem.

Making it more clear what I did today - As per instructions on a Microsoft page, I tried to do a "repair install." I used the exact same Windows 7 disc the OS was originally installed from. Considering that the repair install was a failure, it does seem like the disc and my current Windows are different - but, they're not. Same disc.

I tried the repair install as the least aggressive way to repair what seems like a fouled up OS. Next thing will probably need to be doing a true wipe of C, and a new install of W7 - and then of course re-installing all my programs. I dread that like the plague. I've had this computer only 2 months, and I still haven't finished installing everything I need.

System Restore - that's something else that's stopped working. After having a total disaster with the new Nvidia update, I tried to go back to the most recent restore point before that - but it failed. I tried two different restore points - failure. The error message is that the restore point files can't be found.

So.---

rbowser
[Post New]
So..I would not attribute this condition to the Nvidia update. Microsoft restore files missing usually ONLY means a virus or corrupt OS.

Try running the restore OUTSIDE of the GUI:
1. Restart computer
2. Press <F8> repeatedly during boot
3. From the menu that comes up choose "Safe Boot with Command Prompt"
4. When the OS boots you should get a black box (command prompt)
5.At the command prompt, type rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

This will sometimes find restore files for you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 21. 2011 20:10

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: So..I would not attribute this condition to the Nvidia update. Microsoft restore files missing usually ONLY means a virus or corrupt OS.

Right - I'm not attributing the machine's problems to the Nividia update - I'm saying that it went very haywire, worse than other recent updates and/or installs.

Not sure what you mean, "...Microsoft restore files missing..."--?

I haven't been able to root out any virus, but considering how screwy the Windows Installer is behaving, I do think it's a corrupt OS - and that's why I tried the repair install. Next step - the horrendous complete wipe and re-install. I'm in the process of making thorough notes about where I can find registration codes etc for everything.

--I'm going to mention a company here, one that also makes video software. --Another name for a certain kind of mud hut is---A&@$#, right? Several weeks ago I bought vid software from them through Amazon - not an Amazon seller, but from the main company. ---That was the first software that wouldn't install correctly. Tried and tried to no avail. Ended up working with A's tech staff for two days, total of almost 6 hours on the phone, during which time they controlled my screen. They couldn't fix the problem. Amazon quickly refunded my money--because:

--The techies at A discovered that the software I'd purchased wasn't retail software, but OEM.--- There was no way it was ever going to install and work correctly on my machine.

That was the beginning of doom. Ever since then, the Windows Installer hasn't worked right - I was fortunate to get PD9 installed - But to get the installation finished, I had to manually seek out the .msi file for it. -- !

So - there's some of the deeper details of this maddening story.

rbowser
[Post New]
rbrowser;
Quote: Not sure what you mean, "...Microsoft restore files missing..."--? ...

I tried two different restore points - failure. The error message is that the restore point files can't be found.

1. Restart computer
3. From the menu that comes up choose "Safe mode with Command Prompt"
5.At the command prompt, type rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.\

Here is a link to Microsoft guide:

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 21. 2011 20:16

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: rbrowser;
Quote: Not sure what you mean, "...Microsoft restore files missing..."--? ...

I tried two different restore points - failure. The error message is that the restore point files can't be found.

1. Restart computer
3. From the menu that comes up choose "Safe mode with Command Prompt"
5.At the command prompt, type rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.\

Here is a link to Microsoft guide:

Fred, I was waiting to see if the link you were referring to was going to go up. --But I looked it up on Microsoft, and there were really no more instructions -just to do that in Safe Mode, and then figure it out.

Unfortunately, my motherboard, Gigabyte GBB36X, doesn't respond to the F8 key. An error came up telling me to do Ctrl Alt Delete to re-boot again. I've looked online for how to go into Safe Mode with this Gigabyte, and I found one item relating to that same problem, but the answer to the posted question on the page I went to didn't work.

I like the idea of going back to a point before the dreaded A#@&% installation, but right now I can't get to any Restore Point.

rbowser
[Post New]
I hesitated on posting the link as this discussion is getting TOO FAR outside the level of support for PD9. Might be a BIOS setting, Might be /safeboot in msconfig, might be USB keyboard (NONE of which have PD9 involvement)

There is a way to use the OS Installation disk to get to restore points, but, I really have to end my involvement here, or the moderator will show up with his "lock and keys".

Suffice it to say that the restore points ARE there (I know from experience). MS support can help you get to them with your OS installation disk (regardless of motherboard) as <F8> is a Windows key...NOT a motherboard or BIOS key. I suggest you mention to MS Support that something has hidden your Restore Points and they are more likely to help (practice saying the word PLEASE). Make sure to mention to them that your tried (and failed) a refresh of the OS....as this may change the location of the restore files.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 22. 2011 10:30