Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is it possible to rotate video by small amount? (Solution included)
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
I have some video clips that were shot without the use of a tripod. I know, not too smart, but the tripod was not available for the shoot.

As is shown in the attached screen shot, I was using the wrong reference to keep the camera level. Only realized this when I started editing the clips.

Some of the clips need to be rotated a couple of degrees to be level. I have tried the circle but get an initial jump that goes way beyond what is required. After the initial jump I seem to be able to rotate in smaller increments.

Am I missing something in my approach or am I stuck with the slightly unlevel footage?

Thanks in advace for any suggestions.

Hal
[Thumb - level02.png]
 Filename
level02.png
[Disk]
 Description
Video not level
 Filesize
488 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
253 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 20. 2011 10:36

OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
You can rotate the clip by grabbing the blue circle in the preview window. A more accurate way is to highlight the clip on the time line and click the 'Modify' button. Click on the middle tab. Click on the motion path with the green X. You can now enter the number of degrees that you want the clip to rotate. You will have to do this at the beginning and end of the clip or it will rotate as it plays.
[Thumb - rotate.jpg]
 Filename
rotate.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
155 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
254 time(s)
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
By the way, the fact that the posts are not straight up and down does not mean you were not level. It all depends on the angle at which you were pointing at the posts. Although looking at your picture, I would say that is your problem. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hal & Jaime -

I hope my poor old memory is serving me well today...

I think it may have been during Beta testing (I can't find it using search) that Adrian "discovered" this...

BUT:
- it may have been someone equally clever
- it may have been a completely different discovery
- it may be that I'm... well - not completely correct.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
It needs to rotate 4.3 degrees counterclockwise. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hal -

Using the method described above, I was able to straighten your image.

Pretty good eyes, Xerox!

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Hal_Rotate.png]
 Filename
Hal_Rotate.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
310 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
234 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
That's a good one. Looks like you can do the same on the main preview window by turning off snap to reference. If there is a PIP applied to a clip, then snapping occurs on the main preview window even if you turn the snapping off on the main preview window.
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Gentlemen,

Just getting going here, was up late last night working on some of the footage. Thank you so much for the replies.

With your assistance I was able to straighten out the footage. Using Tony's (Adrian's) method and many keyframes I could set the rotation and zoom (to get rid of the corners) at various points throughout the clip. This allowed me to use footage that was panned from where I was level to where I only thought I was level.

On some clips it will require a fair number of keyframes and adjustment but the result is going to be worth the effort.

I will have to make sure the tripod is in use at all time during game action shots from now on.

Thanks again to all, you have made my day.

Hal

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 20. 2011 09:17

OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube