Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
--25 hours to burn a movie--?? SOLVED
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Something's wrong- Before buying PD yesterday, I did several test projects. Now today I'm just wanting to burn my test silent movie to folder - But it took 1 hour 15 minutes for 6% of the movie. That would take 25 HOURS to burn the whole thing--That's impossible. In the tests I ran, movies were taking approximately 3 hours to burn.

---What could have happened--?

EDIT: Last post explains the problem.

rbowser

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 16. 2011 01:03

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Follow up - After re-booting the computer, I started the burn again - Same thing. I calculate it will take well over 20 hours to burn this one movie - and I know that's not right.

Pretty frustrating. I don't plan on having my computer strain away for a full day just to burn to folder. I work on this computer every day, and can't have it tied up like that.

rbowser
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi.
run DXDiag and post the file here for members to scrutinize your system info...we'd be guessing at porblems without the DXdiag file.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Is that DVD or Blu-Ray? I find the first part always takes longer than the rest, but that still seems like a long time. His dxdiag.txt is in this thread.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/18510.page

What type of video enhancements did you use, if any? Some of the Power Tools can make it take that long. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the replies, James and Jaime - I'm attaching my DX text logs, I should have done that before. Maybe I should put them in my signature, since this is the 3rd time I've posted them.

This is a DVD project, and I'm on my third attempt at burning. I lowered the resolution in the final input dialogue so that now it's on Standard, the project now being somewhere just over 3 gigs. A modest project.

I didn't use any of the Power Tools. I used the Stabilizer, - hmm, some other image enhancements - I can't re-check that right now because I got online to see if there were messages about this, but the 3rd burn attempt is still in progress.

It's again at just 6% and it's been 1 hr 55 mins since I started the burn. I'll use more patience and see if something speeds up at some point.

Previous to today, I ran DVD burn tests to make sure I liked how PD performed. I did two DVD burns, each video about 1 1/2 hours long. Those took 3 hours to burn, which seemed reasonable.

But this--- My first DVD burn after registering the program, and it's not looking good.

I'll let it go until I go to bed tonight, and over night if I have to--but if it's not done in 12 hours from the time I started, obviously that's not right.

rbowser
 Filename
64rbowserDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
44 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
286 time(s)
 Filename
rbowserDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
79 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
300 time(s)
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
--These are .avi files. Is that a problem? Should I have converted them to .mpegs first--? During editing, PD9 worked fine and fast, as if that format wasn't a problem - but maybe I'm asking for too much conversion to be happening during the burn?

I'm accustomed to using .avi files as the preferred file to work with - that's what my previous program said was the preference. Maybe PD9 is different?

rbowser
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
first sorry bout not seeing you Dxdiag file..
I am not an expert just a beginner at this video stuff. your last post maybe the culprit as PD has to redo the avi files to the DVD format first before committing to the DVD.
Try to Produce you project to MPeg-2 before burning that should alleviate the work PD9 has to do to create the DVD.
JIm Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey, James - It was my bad not re-posting my DX texts, it's not as everyone should should be hip to what I've posted before.

Irregardless of you not claiming to be an expert (and I'm Certainly not that)--I think you have it right - You've confirmed what occurred to me after starting this thread. I don't have my source material in the right format to start with - PD is struggling along, 2 hours 20 minutes now, trying to do all the conversion and burning - but it's only at 8%, and so wouldn't be finished before 2 days from now.

I'll stop it - convert the danged files and start over. It makes sense. SO thanks for your post - You've confirmed my suspicion, and for now, I gotta try this plan out.

It's just confusing that my old video program did much Better with .avi files--that's what it wanted. The situation was the opposite--if I brought in mpeg files, it would take forever converting those to what it wanted.

Software. Go figure.

rbowser
James1
[Post New]
Hi.
What you can do maybe to reduce the the strain is break your files into smaller "production" and when you have all the bells and whistles staightened out, start new Project and import the Mpg files to time line then 'create disc' module and set up the menu system from there, or start a new project and go staight to 'Create disc' module and import your previously rendered 'projects' into the present project and create disc. This should shorten the DVD production as the files have already been done.
Jim
p.s The last method would create chapters as per the # of projects you import tho'
Jim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 15. 2011 23:58

Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, James - Thanks for the new input.

As I type I'm waiting for the last 10 minutes of this render-to-mpeg process to be done.

I'll try just starting over, importing this file, re-constructing a menu et al - what I'm most anxious about is to see if the burn to DVD process is going to take a reasonable amount of time.

We shall see!

rbowser
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I usually have individual scenes that are gathered into one DVD. I edit each scene separately and produce to MPEG 2 HQ. When all are done, I import them all into a project, add titles and transitions, if necessary, set chapters and then burn that to a DVD. Most converting of file types is already done and it goes pretty quickly. It probably doesn't save time, but it is spread out over days so the final burn is faster. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
You guys have been great in helping.

As I suspected after my original post, and James suspected right along with me, my whole problem was in using an .avi file in the first place. I'll repeat - that seemed normal to me because my previous--unmentioned name--video program preferred .avi files, since that's supposed to be the standard Windows video format.

I started over - went to "Produce" so I could use PD9 as a file converter, and made an mpeg copy of the .avi file. It wasn't too tough to go back in, delete the .avi files, replace them with the mpeg file, re-do the menus (at least my template was still in place)--and--:

--Instead of only 6% being done after 1 hr 15 mins, that much was done in One Minute.---

Right now, here I am only 10 minutes into the burn, and it's at 97%--almost over.

OK THEN---I've learned A Very Important Lesson today. Maybe this thread will help other X-blank-users who thought they could use .avi files in PD9!

EDIT: To impress the point - ELEVEN MINUTES to burn--as opposed to 25 HOURS!---omg--Well, like I said, I've learned my lesson!

---my clever wife just pointed out that AVI is the acronym for A Very Important lesson--!

rbowser

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 16. 2011 01:19

James1
[Post New]
Hi rbowser,
Glad you got it straitened PD9 Ultra is a magnificent program ( I believe) and the forum an awesome one for help,you just have to understand quite a bit about the codec's to use for the purpose intended.
Again glad you got it done.
Jim
P.S. Your lucky my wife would have crapped on me for buying the program LOL

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 16. 2011 01:44

Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory