Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Dual Monitors
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
I think I am on a losing wicket with this topic (not what the English cricketers are doing this weekend ), but I have recently treated myself to a second monitor, which I am able to use (and was the reason to buy) in PhotoShop and Lightroom, where it makes life soooooo much easier.

However, it seems that the windows in the PD editor are all locked, and I can't use the second monitor.

I have managed to find a way to use it minimally, which is to have PD moved to the second monitor, and then I can use my main monitor as a viewer for Previewing, but that is not much of a bonus.

But, I may be wrong and thare is some way to pull the screen apart? Anybody?

i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
ClancM
Senior Member Location: New York Joined: May 26, 2011 22:19 Messages: 175 Offline
[Post New]
As far as i know, all the windows are locked together. Meaning like you said you can only move the entire program window or set up a preview monitor.
Not sure if this is what you need but, you could try to move PD to one monitor then shrink it down to about half the screen. Then re-size the windows in PD so they're usable.
Best of luck!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Dual Monitor set up.
I run a dual monitor and have done for years. PD has never been expandable other than stretchable etc. Nowadays I recognise the reason why this is a single monitor editor and adjust my technique to suit. I should add that I have suggested independent and moveable windows in the past and those suggestion are put to a team. I should mention I wanted a "Pro" interface and an "Semi-pro" interface a user could decide which to use.

OK, today I use MediaShow5 in my right-hand monitor, playing the video and images and then dragging my selection to PD in the left monitor. For me it is by far the easiest editing method I employ. Using drag and drop selection can be carried out with other software or from a standard window.

rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
--But I'm enjoying the button in the preview window where you can have playback fill your 2nd screen. I'm finding that very useful, so I have a large, easy to see display, and can minimize the playback window on the 1st monitor so I have more room for editing.

rbowser
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
What? No comments on the cricket?

OK, I thought that was the case, and it is not a disaster - as you say, Dafydd, one can use the other monitor for lots of associated stuff in a project.

No harm in arskin' ay? i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
No harm at all Denbigh.
Saturday:

Rugby

Wales 19 v England 9

And they didn't even score a try

I couldn't watch the game as I had a prior engagement in a church and a speech later

Dafydd
[A proud father]
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ...
However, it seems that the windows in the PD editor are all locked, and I can't use the second monitor...

I'm still not understanding what the issue is about using a 2nd monitor. If you use the "restore down" button in the program's window, that un-locks it, and thenyou can expand the entire program on to your 2nd monitor, if that's what you want to do - having a longer time-line to work with.

And of course you can also click "display options" to have your preview screen fill up your entire 2nd monitor.

I'm not seeing any limitations.---?

rbowser

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 14. 2011 19:56

SeptimusFry
[Post New]
No problem, it is just that with undocked window applications, one can rearrange the workspace (and usually save it to become the default) to suit one's particular way of working.

I must admit, I had not spotted that 'second display' icon, I was doing it the hard way ! Thanks.

Sometimes, when one wants something that is not there, one can highlight it in some way and hope that the penny drops later, when we are Beta testing v10, perhaps?

denbigh

PS, the second monitor works the wrong way round for me. Since PD has no memory of what window it was last closed in, it always starts on my main monitor and the little button puts the preview onto my smaller secondary monitor, so the role of the two are swapped (for my requirements).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 15. 2011 05:33

i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Denbigh,
I always ensure I have two monitors from the same manufacturer which are the same size. Far better to move, display, handle and observe data. Just my way.

SeptimusFry
[Post New]
With my first monitor being over £1K, I settled for a bit less on the second !!

d i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
ha ha ha... really! ha ha, don't see why ha ha

SeptimusFry
[Post New]
Why? Why what?

The main monitor is for photography which is my real hobby, and one only needs one proper monitor for the image. Couldn't even justify the same size for the second, let alone quallity!

Hope the wedding and stuff went well, you didn't leave the camera at home, I hope !!

denbigh i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just a silly figure of speech re "why"

I understand. If I had a choice I might buy two 3D... next time. The one 3d I have been using is brilliant.

Yes thanks Denbigh the day went well. I was press-ganged into button touching and took 1x5, a multi-image on my son's 7D. For the rest of the time I took nothing all day BUT the video is absolutely stunning. For that I have someone else to thank.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 15. 2011 08:52

ClancM
Senior Member Location: New York Joined: May 26, 2011 22:19 Messages: 175 Offline
[Post New]
I use 1 average size modern monitor for my primary viewing area, and my other is a 10 (or more) year old monitor that goes back almost a foot and a half.