Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Media shows up in two locations?
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
I'm in the process of making new versions of an old two disc DVD project. I'm capturing the discs in PD9. I have a "Video Projects" folder set up, and when I do the extraction I end up having two copies. The first is in the default Documents>PD9 folder, the other is in the Video Project folder. I thought the program would be linking to where the media is located, but apparently it copies media into the project folder - Is that right? If so, it would be safe to delete the original Documents copies, yes?

rbowser
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi rbowser,

Do NOT delete the original copies, if you do then PowerDirector will be unable to find them. PowerDirector saves the file location, the .pds file is a set of instructions only, that tell PowerDirector where the file is located and what changes have been made

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the reply, Robert.

What I'm not understanding is why there are two copies of the large video file the project's based on. One is in the default Power Director folder in Documents, and an exact duplicate is in the project's folder. To have all video projects double up like that is a fast way to waste hard drive space-- Why was the copy made in the project folder if PD9 only needs to reference the original copy in the Documents folder?

rbowser
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
--?!-- I just got through doing a 2 hour media grab from disc 2 of the source DVD I'm using,--and when the process was over, there was no file - not in the Documents folder or the project folder--Where could it have gone--?

EDIT: I have no idea what I did wrong. Couldn't find the extraction, so pushed Record again to re-do, and it took mere second for the rip to happen and for the media to show up in the media bin - as if it was finding and inserting what I couldn't find on my own earlier.--? Well, at least I can now get on with the project.---

rbowser

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 13. 2011 17:41

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi rbowser -

I've never known PD to duplicate copies of media, except, of course, when you use Export > Pack Project Materials.

You have your original video file stored in your Video Projects folder - yes?

Then you import into PD, edit & save the project. By default, the .pds file is stored in C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\9.0

The default import & export locations can be set in Preferences > File, if you want to keep control of where media is stored. Have you changed these or are you using PD's default location (above)?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Tony - Thanks for the reply.

I think I'm just being rather clumsy with PD9 as I continue to try out the trial version. In the project I'm working on now, 2nd disc of this video, only one copy of the video footage has shown up. Not sure what I did when I worked on the first project - I must have imported the video into the media bin since it somehow wasn't there, and that resulted in a second copy.

Being too timid to change them, I'm using the defaults for import and media folders - in Documents. But what's been confusing things for me is that I really don't want my projects to be in my Documents folder. For all my programs, I always set up a plainly marked master folder for each program's projects. So I have a Video Projects folder where I'm directing the master PD file. I guess this is something I can set up in Preferences too - I need more time with the program.

Bothering the most is that PD9 isn't using my high powered computer's resources. As I edit, CPU usage stays around 4%, RAM usage no more than 28%. If it would access more power, it would be faster. While burning to disc, then CPU usage goes up to 95%--!

In another thread I followed the advice to upgrade my Nvidia driver, and that sped things up--but it turned out to be a disaster for the computer. I had to go back to a restore point before the driver was installed, things were such a mess. Now I'm afraid to do the driver update again, since it didn't play nice with my computer the first time.

I'm sure I'll get on my feet with all this. It's just not going very smoothly yet.

rbowser
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi rbowser -

I always set up a plainly marked master folder for each program's projects.

That's a good approach:
1. Set up your project folder
2. Copy all media for the project into that folder.
3. Import from that folder
4. Save your project (.pds) to that folder
5. Export produced files to that folder.

Using PD's Export > Pack Project Materials effectively does just that. It places all media from your timeline & a copy of the .pds file into a single folder.

Don't be afraid to change your preferences - that's what they're for!

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Excellent, thank you, Tony.

rbowser