Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Pan & Zoom - Is Ease-in & Ease-out possible?
SPICERPR0
Newbie Location: Ocean City, MD Joined: Jul 12, 2011 12:24 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
Is there a way to apply ease-in and ease-out with Magic Motion, Crop Video or PiP. The slideshow style "Camera" performs ease-in and ease-out perfectly, so it appears that PD9 is capable of doing it. But, how do we perform it manually, rather than being restricted to a pre-produced template? Bill Spicer
Spicer Pro, LLC, Ocean City, MD
Win7 Professional 64-bit, Xeon 2.80GHz (4 CPUs)
6144MB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX 580
It takes a community to resolve editing software issues.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bill -

For still images, use Magic Motion. For video clips, use Power Tools > Video Crop

What WMM refers to as "Ease In" is just zooming. In WMM, there is no keyframe control...

http://www.youtube.com/user/ynotfish77#p/u/53/NTqy0Qx0o8s

Video Cropping tutorial... (about 1:30 is what you need)
http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots#p/u/18/7Lsn369hlk8

Other tutorials that might help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87VsdFeD0nU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exuj2dhRZjY&feature=related

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
SPICERPR0
[Post New]
So, ease-in and ease-out is not possible. No amount of playing with keyframes will smooth the start and stop of a pan or zoom. For this function, one must work outside of PD9 like in AE. Thank you Tony for the confirmation. Bill Spicer
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Bill -

I'm not sure I'm with you on this one.

Are you talking about what Windows Movie Maker calls "ease in" & "ease out"? WLMM has abandoned those terms and uses a number of different zoom & pan functions.

PD can easily replicate those effects. I don't understand what makes you say it can't.

I'm happy to be enlightened. :

Cheers - Tony
SPICERPR0
[Post New]
"Ease-in & ease-out" refers to accelerating and de-accelerating the beginning and ends of pans and zooms. Rather than a move jerking to a start and jerking to a stop, it ramps up in speed and then ramps down. This option is available in APP, APE and AAE.

I would have accepted that it was currently beyond the capability of PD9 and something that may become an option in future releases. However, the canned Slideshow Style titled "Camera" utilizes ease-in and ease-out, making the pans fluid and not so robotic. Even when you go to Customize, you cannot see the method PD9 is using for "Camera."

Tony, I hope this makes it a little more clear. Bill Spicer
bolda
Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Feb 02, 2011 15:10 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys,

Not being any authority on the topic at all, I'd describe easing in or out as a non-linear progress of change (motion, zooming, panning...). As you say, Bill, the change accelerates od deccelerates at either end. As such, I don't see this feature for manual control in PowerDirector. The change between two keyframes seems to be always linear...

Jirka
ynotfish
[Post New]
... except that the speed of the pan or zoom is determined by the placement of keyframes & sizing of the cropping area.

In PD, you can easily accelerate & decelerate pans & zooms.

Speed up? Move the keyframes closer. Slow down? Move them further apart.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 11. 2011 05:46

bolda
Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Feb 02, 2011 15:10 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
Okay, Tony,

but easing out has to be non-linear to give a natural feel. Look at the motion of each picture in my video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uurq8xj9DMk. It was made in PD using the Slideshow feature.

You will never achieve exactly the same manually through keyframes...

Jirka
ynotfish
[Post New]
I agree Jirka -

The way those images come to rest in their place (slowing as they land) does take some manipulation.

Here - I made no effort to replicate the 'ease in" thing of coming gently to a stop... but it was done manually. Don't worry - you only have to watch the opening sequence... http://www.youtube.com/user/ynotfish77#p/u/26/HzkVB2sYGxA

The point I began to make was that, with keyframe manipulation, the ease-in effect could be replicated in PD.

... and where's the Prince of PiP when you need him most? Craaaaaan stoooooon???

Cheers - Tony
SPICERPR0
[Post New]
Jirka demonstrated that PD9's Slideshow Style "Camera" may be the only place where PD9 performs an ease-in and ease-out, but how? Since one cannot actually edit this "stock" effect, one cannot see how it was accomplished.

Granted, this is not life-and-death stuff. PD9 is a terrific application and when we find a limitation, we just want to make sure we are not missing something.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Aug 11. 2011 08:28

Bill Spicer
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Bill -

If you set the video to unlisted or public, we'll be able to see it.

Cheers - Tony
SPICERPR0
[Post New]
Here is a demo of Ease-in / Ease-out vs. Linear. Available for public viewing.

http://youtu.be/m7Dg8vUiPT0 Bill Spicer
bolda
[Post New]
Just to complete the idea: real ease in or out changes the velocity along a smooth curve, perhaps some sort exponential.

You can change the speed by moving keyframes but you will never have the change so smooth. I think Tony's video actually demonstrates that altough at some speed human eye is very tolerant and can be fooled. Fooling the eye is what the moving pictures technologies are all about anyway, right?

I would conclude that CyberLink can implement this algorithm but for a reason haven't included it in PowerDirector as a general-purpose feature...

Jirka
John99 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Aug 26, 2017 18:02 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
This is a convoluted workaround tutorial for still image Pan and Zoom easing in and easing out.

https://youtu.be/cZ91jeFjyEY

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 26. 2017 18:27

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
John - This is a 6 year old post. You should start a New topic post on this one. It is good that you post someone's workaround for this perceived issue. I don't see a need for this as the kens burn effect is deliberate slow movements in all the photo slideshow and video editing software that I have seen.

The video show a workaround for those who want a quick movement with both ease in and ease out on a photo.

That can be easily done on a still photo by using PiP designer. Set the keyframes for scale and position and both Ease in and Ease out are available and can be used. These tools were available in PowerDirector for at least the last two years or more that I can remember.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Quote John - This is a 6 year old post. You should start a New topic post on this one... That can be easily done on a still photo by using PiP designer. Set the keyframes for scale and position and both Ease in and Ease out are available and can be used.

Hi tomasc, John et al -

Agreed, it's an old post... but it's a current issue.

Agreed, PiP Designer has the Ease In/Out facility & the same pan & zoom motion can be achieved as in Magic Motion.

BUT (unfortunately) PiP Designer's Ease In/Out has a long standing problem. You wouldn't see it if you were making a simple pan, but when you pan and zoom together & apply Ease In/Out it slightly changes the motion path.

The greater the degree of Ease In/Out applied, the more noticeable the path shift. It's kind of like this:

Some annotated examples in this video:

John - I didn't think your workaround was that convoluted.

Cheers - Tony
Rick3516 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 29, 2015 08:31 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Tony!

I realize this is a very old thread now but I check in with the forum every now and then to see if PowerDirector has fixed this issue in their latest release. You and I had a discussion about this issue several years ago - I called the issue a strange "wobble" when panning AND zooming using the PiP with ease in/out.

I'd also like to know if the latest version includes an ease in/out feature as part of the Magic Motion pan and zoom.

I like PowerDirector - straight forward to use but I have had to move on to other programs because of this issue. I'd like to come back to it once this feature is fixed.

Thanks
Rick
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Rick -

I wouldn't say Ease in/out in PDR has reached perfection yet (!) but when using PiP Designer for panning & zooming, the wobble issue can be minimised by applying the same level of Ease in/out to both position & scale keyframes.

Cheers - Tony
Rick3516 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 29, 2015 08:31 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Tony,

Based on your reply I assume there is still no ease-in/out feature for the keyframes in the Magic Motion pan and zoom.

I'll check back in sometime in the future to see if newer versions finally incorporate the feature.

Thanks again - Rick
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Rick -

Your assumption is correct. Ease in/out is available in PiP Designer & Title Designer.

What used to be "Magic Motion" is now called "Pan & Zoom" (does the same job). For video it's "Crop Pan & Zoom". None of these have Ease in/out.

Cheers - Tony