CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Custom frame size: How to do it?
Reply to this topic
[Post New]
I have searched far and wide on the net and in the forums, but I can't find anywhere where I set the frame size of the video I'm creating in PowerDirector.

Does anyone know where do I set this?

To me it seems a pretty basic information, but I guess it's so well hidden that I can't find.

I'm not talking about the aspect ratio of the file (like 4:3 or 16:9) but the whole shebang.. For instance, what if I want to create a video that is, say, 512x700, or 640x50.. I want the ability to set my own frame width and height.

I can resize any video I put on PD to any shape I want, but I can't seem to find where I set the frame size.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 07. 2011 07:22

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Number of Produce options available to you. Some give a fixed frame size while others offer you choices.
1. WMV uses prx files, CyberLink provide a wide selection for you. Templates can be created and imported, created in a windows software.
2. Mp4 - Look in the options available - quite wide.
3. mov - options as well
4. mts - a limited choice.

Is that what you're after?

[Post New]
It would be IF I had a way to set the "stage" aspect ratio BEFORE going to produce.

Imagine the following: Let's say I'm going to produce to a custom device that has an aspect ratio of 5:1 and I'm merging several videos side by side.

I don't have any option to set a custom aspect ration.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Private Message Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Right. All I've done in the past is use the sample video supplied with PD9, placed in the video track and then selected Produce. A customised profile can then be created.

Experimentation is the answer.

[Post New]
I do not know if I understand right
Have you tried using masks, the model rectangle, turning off the aspect ratio, you create frames the way you want AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9795 Offline
[Post New]
Hi PJonDevelopment -

PD's "stage" can ONLY be 16:9 or 4:3. There are many options for modifying the resolution (size) but there are only TWO options for the overall aspect ratio.

Using masking, you can make the clip appear to have a different aspect ratio... but it will still be produced within a 16:9 or 4:3 "stage"... meaning there'll be black bars somewhere.

Maybe I've misunderstood what you're trying to do.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Simple Tony [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Aug 17, 2020 15:14 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I think I know what he means - I upload vids to youtube, namely Clash Royale gameplays, however, I edit 9:16 to make it fullscreen but would like a 16:9 canvas if that make sense? Check the following videos, the first is mine and the second is another youtuber's. Would have inserted images but not sure how to insert images from device to here, anyway I want:

From this

To this

Would I need to edit in 16:9 to get the desired effect? And how to fill the canvas so I have images on both sides of the video?

Many thanks to anyone who can help, it's probably a really simple solution, I just don't see it
[Thumb - Screenshot_20200817-201127_YouTube.jpg]
 Filename
Screenshot_20200817-201127_YouTube.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
867 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
[Thumb - Screenshot_20200817-201327_YouTube.jpg]
 Filename
Screenshot_20200817-201327_YouTube.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
763 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 5450 Offline
[Post New]
To fill the canvas you should record in 16:9 so whatever content is on the sides of your game is present. If there isn't other content there, or if you already have 9:16 recordings and want to create 16:9 video, you'll have to create a background (images or video) and then add your 9:16 clip on a lower track to show "in front of" the background..

Use the corner controls in the preview window or the Scale controls in the PiP Designer tool after you drag your 9:16 clip to the timeline so that it's full height and centered horizontally.
Simple Tony [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Aug 17, 2020 15:14 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote To fill the canvas you should record in 16:9 so whatever content is on the sides of your game is present. If there isn't other content there, or if you already have 9:16 recordings and want to create 16:9 video, you'll have to create a background (images or video) and then add your 9:16 clip on a lower track to show "in front of" the background..

Use the corner controls in the preview window or the Scale controls in the PiP Designer tool after you drag your 9:16 clip to the timeline so that it's full height and centered horizontally.

Many thanks - Perfect!
Reply to this topic