Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Powerdirector Update patch 2930_GM5_Patch_VDE110516-02 Crashing and Hangs
Wildview [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 25, 2007 14:49 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
I've been using Powerdirector 9 on Win 7 64Bit using the original install and it worked ok with some minor bugs. I just downloaded and installed the new patch 2930_GM5_Patch_VDE110516-02 and now the software just constantly hangs and crashes all the time doing just normal things editing which I never seen with the original install. Has anyone else experienced this problem with this patch on Win 7?

I wished Cyberlink would do more product assurance and testing on their service releases before sending them out. Good grief, there is some serious problems with this patch at least on my machine. I might just have to go back to the original install unless there's a work around or a new release to fix the problems with this patch.

Thanks,
Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 03. 2011 13:28

MateuszPK [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Warsaw, Poland Joined: Jul 20, 2011 18:29 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I have experienced the same problem starting actually from build 2504. In my case turning off all acceleration options helped.
Below please find the reply I got form cyberlink when reporting a similar issue. Please note that I have not tried this solution "I would like to inform you that for 'Front-end graph streaming error', I would suggest you to please uncheck hardware acceleration and enable AMD accelerated parallel processing and enable hardware decoding also, in the Produce section, uncheck fast video rendering technology. "
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Both,
Please read: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/13638.page

Then see: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Part A,B and E&F

Please both of you provide a 5 to 10 second sample of video, unedited and directly from your camera.

Information is the key to resolving and localising a cause for an issue.

Wildview [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the rely. I actually turned off the hardware acceleration when I first installed it to get rid of the green overlay on the video preview, so that is disabled. I still get a lot crashes though with that disabled. I don't see any of the other settings with my configuration you mentioned. I hope they make this more stable soon.

I wished I could just afford a Mac and not use this product anymore. I've been fighting issues with powerdirector for several versions now and it's getting old =)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Robert,
I've read through some of your past posts on the forum.

I would really like to see your diagnostics and the rest please which i have asked for.

I had problems with PD obtaining data from my USB harddrives. I have resolved that issue by using a software which keeps the USB's "awake" - called NoSleepHD2.0v. From your previous posts i wonder if that could be the core of your long term issues.

Wildview [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

I don't think sending you a video is going to really help. The problem is just normal navigation with the patch loaded. For example, I put together a video to produce. I go to produce it under Mp4 format and wham, Crash!. So I go back and do it again and it works. Then I'm playing a video on the timeline and wham, Crash!. Load it up again and it works. I never seen any of this with the original version 9 at all. The only bug I really ever noticed was the transitions sometimes didn't work properly. I never really ever had hangs like this though.

Dafydd, you have been a big help in the past. Maybe you can me figure out what is happening here, so I don't have to reinstall the original version.

Thanks,
Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 03. 2011 14:12

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
My name is Dafydd and is pronounced Da-Vith.

MateuszPK [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Warsaw, Poland Joined: Jul 20, 2011 18:29 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Wildview,
go to "set user preferences" (the icon on top looks like gear wheel) than go to "Hardware Acceleration". Try to change the settings. I have turned them off.

Wildview [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah, I already have the hardware acceleration disabled. I did this first since it was causing my video in the preview window to have a green background. I still have the crashes though and I don't have anymore hardware settings to turn off.
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
I installed the 2930 patch this evening, and fired up PD. I deleted the default media items, then I saved the empty project.

I imported a media folder of 56 small AVIs, and as soon as it was done importing PD9 crashed. I tried again, this time successfully. As I was previewing the clips and dragging them one-by-one to the timeline, I noticed that the menu and adjoining icons disappeared. They re-appeared when I moved the mouse over them.

I did have hardware acceleration enabled. I will turn it off and see if things become more stable.

I'm attaching the event that PD9 caused, as well as the event from Windows error reporting.

I'm also attaching my two DxDiag files.
 Filename
Jerry_64DxDiag_20110803_2040.txt
[Disk]
 Description
64-bit DxDiag
 Filesize
34 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
279 time(s)
 Filename
Jerry_PD9_crash.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Crash event
 Filesize
4 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
342 time(s)
 Filename
Jerry_DxDiag_20110803_2040.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag
 Filesize
45 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
295 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 03. 2011 20:52

Jerry Schwartz
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/18118.page
Link to similar missing UI parts. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
bryanhiggs [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 01, 2011 16:04 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I am encountering serious hanging problems with PowerDirector Ultra64 9.0.0.2930 (i.e. with this patch applied -- as far as I can tell, there are no later patches). The problems have been getting worse over time; at this point, I bring up the project in PowerDirector and try to edit a title, and it doesn't respond. Eventually, I click, get the little whirling windows mouse icon and when I click again I get the usual dialog box telling me 'PowerDirector is not responding'.

I have also found recently that using the mouse to create a progressive audio fade (or the opposite) in the audio track of my videos in the video track on the timeline will also cause a similar hang. Both of these were readily reproducible -- the attempt to edit the title *always* causes a hang.

At this point, I am dead in the water and unless you can help me to overcome this problem, I will have to seek alternative solutions -- which I don't want to do, because I like the features of PD9.

I have checked that I have the latest drivers for my video card (Intel HD) on the Intel web page pointed to in these forums. It turns out that I have a custom driver supplied with my Sony laptop, and Intel can't update anything. I have the latest driver according to Sony.

I attach an image of the 'PowerDirector is not responding' dialog box, and the two requested diagnostics files. Providing a screen shot of my Powerdirector interface doesn't seem useful; I have a lot of still photos, video clips, titles, etc. Also, it's not clear to me that attempting to create a simple project to reproduce the problems would be useful, or even possible. However, if there's anything else you would find useful, I'd be happy to try to supply it/them. I'm motivated to overcome this problem, as it's getting old very quickly, and I cannot make any further progress using PD9 without a fix.

Thanks for listening, and thanks for anything you can do to help!

Regards

Bryan

Filename
64_BryanHiggs_DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
64-bit Diagnostic file
 Filesize
40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
400 time(s)
[Thumb - PD9_NotRespondingDialogBox.jpg]
 Filename
PD9_NotRespondingDialogBox.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PowerDirector not responding dialog box
 Filesize
71 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
212 time(s)
 Filename
BryanHiggs_DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Diagnostic file
 Filesize
33 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
312 time(s)
bryanhiggs [Avatar]
[Post New]
FWIW, I captured the details from the 'PowerDirector is not responding' dialog:

Filename
PD9HangDetails.txt
[Disk]
 Description
PD9 Hang Details
 Filesize
944 bytes
 Downloaded:
255 time(s)
bryanhiggs [Avatar]
[Post New]
Again, FWIW, I've turned off graphics acceleration (there were two places where I interpreted that; I turned them both off). No observable change.

I also tried using your suggested NoSleepHD2.0v. I had to run it with Administrator privileges, otherwise it just hung. But when I ran it and set up the no sleep option, it had no observable effect.

Not sure what to try next...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 01. 2011 17:07

Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
Bryan,

There are several topics on problems with the newer Intel onboard or integrated graphics and video editing, not just with PD9, but no denying PD9 does also.

IF you are editing HD, your video system could be a problem ... you have 4 GB of memory, 1.7GB of that memory is "shared" ie used by video card, that does not leave a lot for OS plus editor. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
bryanhiggs [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, Rocket-scientist!

I just ordered a memory upgrade to 8Gb, which should improve matters in that area. We'll see when it arrives and I've installed it.

Not sure what if anything I can do about the Intel HD video. Do they typically allow video cards to be added to laptops?

By the way, I tried to do a search for information about problems with Intel HD video, looking for potential solutions, and couldn't find anything recent or useful. Can you give me any more specific pointers? Thanks!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 02. 2011 10:51

bryanhiggs [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm not sure whether this is related, but I just noticed that there are around 40 instances of CES_IPCAgent.exe running on my system, and PowerDirector isn't running. I note in another forum/note that others have discovered a number of such instances running on their systems, but there didn't seem to be any resolution to the problem.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks in advance...

FWIW, I created a "minidump" from one of these instances, and attach it here...
 Filename
CES_IPCAgent.dmp
[Disk]
 Description
"Minidump" of CES_IPCAgent.exe instance
 Filesize
3344 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
306 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 07. 2011 17:45

bryanhiggs [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, I'm now at 8Gb of main RAM. My laptop is noticeably more responsive, in general.

However, PD9 still won't bring up the Edit Title dialog on that title I want to change in that project. I even removed the title, added another one in its place, and tried to edit it, and still it hangs.

And I'm starting to accumulate those CES_IPCAgent.exe processes again. I just blew away about 5 of them.

If it's the Intel HD graphics, I don't know what to do about that. I doubt it it, because I've created multiple similarly sized projects on this machine in the past, and not encountered this level of problem.

Can someone PLEASE help me?

Thanks!
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
with the added memory, i suspect it is not you Intel video.

What kind of video clip was the title overlaying? (color board, part of the edited video, or special "clip art")

You may have a corrupted .pds file, which has "lost" a pointer to something critical to the title. A filename changed or moved to new location, or overwritten by another type of file. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
Rocket-Scientist
[Post New]
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/15459.page

this is the only discussion i found on CES_IPCagent ...
seems to be related to SmartSound, by any chance did the video you had under the title have a smartsound track? RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU