Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 5 and Vista Ready Error [resolved]
tatu54 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 15, 2007 09:01 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
I am having a problem with Power Director 5.xxx

Below are the questions and answers so far. Each question will be followed with Cyberlink's answer.

I am not happy with the answer to "disable UAC."

I had to buy this new "DVD Pro Suite" because my older XP Cyberlink program would not work on my new Vista machine. All of the other programs in DVD Pro Suite work fine, just Power Director is the one that is causing all the problems.

Q&A's are below.

My Question 1

I get a Runtime error when I try to
open PowerDirector.

I have done the Vista test and
downloaded the "patch" and installed
it. All one-hundred plus megabytes of
it. I still get the Runtime error.

My Vista is fully upgraded via the
Windows upgrade site.

And then I find that there is a new
version to PowerDirector and you want a
lot more of my money to get the upgrade.

C'mon, lets see if we can get this
new "Vista" ready version I just bought
before I even think of upgrading the
PowerDirector or even the DVDPro Suite

I am really disapointed with Cyberlink
right now. At one time "prior" to
Vista, Cyberlink gave me a good
product. I may owe an apology in the
very near future, but that will have to
wait until I see if we can get this
working.

Answer

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Online Support.

We understand your concern related with run time error message in PowerDirector software.

We request you to please disable UAC function that should solve this issue.

Please follow the steps given below to disable UAC:

Point to Start --> Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> System Configuration --> Tools --> Select Disable UAC --> then Click "Launch" button.

Regarding your issue, for customer support no we wish to inform you our customer support is paid if you want to talk in customer support then you have to purchase the technical voice support from the CyberLink website.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products.

Thank You and Best Regards

Question 2

Support Answer
I find it hard to believe and
reprehensible that a company such as
Cyberlink, that packages a product such
as I bought, DVD Pro Suite labeled
as “Vista Ready” to come back with such
an answer I got to “make” the program
work. The answer was this:

“We request you to please disable UAC
function that should solve this issue.”

Is that what makes this program Vista
Ready?

There is a reason that Microsoft made
this function and that was because of
security concerns we all face everyday
with our computers.

This was not the type of support I
received when I first bought from
Cyberlink. This is not the type of
support I want now.

Please supply a better answer/patch to
make this a true Vista Ready program.

Answer

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Online Support.

We understand your concern related with PowerDirector.

Please note that if you disable the UAC it’s a security on your operating system so that you can access the software on your computer. If you do not disable the security it will prompt you every time to close the software.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products.

Thank You and Best Regards

I have a third question regarding this last answer and am waiting on a reply.

I do find this answer to "Disable UAC" to be just plain wrong. This, to me, just does not make this program "Vista Ready."

If they are working on a patch to help this problem then they just need to tell us, not just Disable UAC.

What's going on here?

Thanks,

Dale

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 19. 2007 15:30

I never said I was smart, just pretty to look at...

See "Bio" for computer stats.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dale (Ackerman),

Please provide the version build for PowerDirector 5 - you've excluded the end numbers.

I have referred your posting to CyberLink.

PM sent to you.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
tatu54 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd,

Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

Here is the build number you requested:

Power Director build number: 5.00.2505a SE-Plus

I also sent this and other info requested via PM.

Dale I never said I was smart, just pretty to look at...

ddyy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 28, 2006 06:16 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
tatu54,
A filemonitor utility shows PD access a temp folder.
Thus, I'm thinking if this could help.

Find your Windows folder and locate the Temp folder.
ex. "C:\Windows\Temp".

Right click the "Temp" folder, choose "properties" and
go to "security" tab. "Add" your name and "Allow" full control. Try launch PD again.

Good luck.
tatu54 [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, lets see what we have here.

I am by no means an expert when it comes to the ins and outs of Windows (any version; XP, 98, 95, 3X, Vista, whatever.) But I do try to learn what I can.

I get help from boards and members like we have here. I am almost sure that the biggest portion of computer users just take things for granted, they turn on their machine and it works.

But, there are a few of us that do like to see what’s going on. And with each new version of Windows looking to see what is going on gets more and more complicated. I remember a LONG time ago I used a program on Windows 3.xxx. It may have been AdAware or something similar, might even have been a virus checker, I just don’t remember.

When I used that program, I remember thinking, “WOW,” that certainly is a lot of files. Those files were in the neighborhood of around 15,000.

Now, checking this new machine (which is less than a month old) before I started loading up programs, I had AdAware once again check my system. It was well more than 300,000 files. Very incredible. It is no wonder that some people (companies?) have problems writing software for new OS’s.

But, my problem with this particular piece of software we are discussing here is that it is labeled “Vista Ready.”

In my case, it was/is not. In contacting support I was given answers that were wholly unsuitable. Sure, there is most likely nothing wrong with disabling the UAC function, but as I said, Microsoft put that in there for a reason. I am rabid when it comes to my computer security and for them to give us a bit more security and then have CyberLink tell me to disable it is not only not satisfactory it is misleading their customers when they label their product as Vista Ready.

This “fix” that was just given to me does make the program work (and by the way, if you right click on the program and click “Run as Administrator” will also make the program work) but does this fix now make the program Vista Ready? I still don’t think it does, but the program is now working.

Hopefully, within the very short future, CyberLink will have a patch for us users that is having a problem like I have with making this Vista Ready.

You will find that I do like to run on and on. Must be something about liking to hear myself talk...

Thanks, ddyy for the info.

Dale I never said I was smart, just pretty to look at...