Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What can be acheived with PowerDirector in HD
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
I dont seem to be able to find any videos explicitly edited in PD9 in HD quality. I have found some edited fragments of commercial videos, bolted together in PD, and I have found a number of HD videos, unfortunately produced in HD, but not of HD quality.

I would really like some links to look at, as I am finding it quite difficult to produce HD quality myself. I take my stuff on a Canon 5D Mk II, which has now been used for commercials and full-length (apparently) films. I cannot get anywhere near the expected quality, though my .mov clips ARE of that quality. I lose it in editing.

I would like to see some PD9 edited footage to match this link 5D Commercial i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Denbigh,
Please can you attach a 5 to 10 second video sample? I'll see what "template" should be made to replicate the mov your Canon 5D produces.

Having some sample clips would really help. A few clips of a sea scene would be good!!!

Diolch
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 25. 2011 07:47

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
SeptimusFry,

I have two videos on Youtube that were edited entirely in PD8.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mrcarl312

NBC bloopers are from a capture from Dishnetwork (American satellite TV).
The azalea video is made with a Canon HF R100 camera (1080i).

The 1080 videos don't play well on Youtube, but the 720P videos do and are very sharp. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
720p mp4 6000kbps for Vimeo
Todd [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2010 18:22 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I also own a Canon 5D MKII and use Adobe Lightroom 3.4 for processing images. Lightroom has very limited capability in its slideshow module, with only PDF and MP4 output. There are also many quality issues with Adobe Lightroom's slideshow module PDF and MP4 export (softness, etc.).

I use PowerDirector 9 Ultra64 on an HP i7-860 quad core system and Lightroom exported 1080p slideshow JPEGs. PD9 rips through them at about 1s for 1s when creating H.264 AVCHD movies for burn to standard DVDs. Theoretically you should be able to put up to 500 slide images on a standard 4.7GB DVD....no need to use expensive Blu-ray RW disks!

I had a few issues with quality, but Cyberlink Tech support helped me work them out. I needed to update my Nvidia drivers and load the latest PD 9 update. I'm very pleased with the results.

I also have never had much success with 1080p playback on YouTube.
Todd [Avatar]
[Post New]
Forogt to mention I also process 1080p video files direct from my Canon 5D MKII with equally good results and speed of rendering output.
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
The only sample I am able to look at is that of Carl.

Carl, I didn't feel overly impressed with the qualitiy there. I tried viewing in 480 and 1080 and could see hardly any difference - look at the lack of definition on the hair of the anchorman.

As to the possibility that it is simply a YouTube problem, I am unable to create a SATISFACTORY video on my computer, let alone when uploaded to YT.

Todd: I also use LR (why oh why cant they add audio???) and have tried creating a slideshow in PD9 and find that I lose massively on quality.

Now, I am quite prepared to find that it is a question of my technique in mis-using the tools, which is why I would so much like to see some product which shows a seriously sharp HD image, genuinely produced in PD9.

I am suspicious of anything commercial (eg. Cyberlink production) as there is too much of a vested interest involved. But I am hoping that there are some gifted amateurs here who can prove that PD can do it. Not with words, but URLs.

Todd's comments about having a few issues with quality sounds like just where I am at - so what did the CL Tech Support do for you. My drivers are up to date, PD9 is uptodate, and being pleased with the results - are they truly HD? i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
SeptimusFry
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Denbigh,
Please can you attach a 5 to 10 second video sample? I'll see what "template" should be made to replicate the mov your Canon 5D produces.

Having some sample clips would really help. A few clips of a sea scene would be good!!!

Diolch
Dafydd

Dafydd, will try to get something uploaded tomorrow or Wednesday.

Denbigh i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
SeptimusFry
[Post New]
Here is another example of what I cannot achieve:- 5D2 with editing using Final Cut Pro.

http://vimeo.com/5319830 i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Todd [Avatar]
[Post New]
I use H.264 AVC format when creating 1080p videos from Canon 5D MKII .mov files. I had a problem with 'Fast video rendering technology when it was checked (i.e. enabled). It slowed down rendering and seemed to produce larger file sizes. I don't remember if it affected quality. Try using H.264 AVC with standard AVCHD 1920 x1080p Profile name/Quality selection, BUT uncheck 'Fast video dendering technology.'

Edited.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 26. 2011 02:40

SeptimusFry
[Post New]
Hi Folks, Well I have been playing around a bit, and I have satisfied myself that PD9 does a pretty good job of producing in HD. Apart from some stuff taken of an ISO 12233 test chart, I have produced a pair of videos which you may find interesting. The ISO test chart proved to me that PD9 does indeed introduce a very slight softness in the image, but very slight and acceptable. The two videos are pretty much the same, but compare PD9 with Adobe Premiere Pro, which costs a small fortune more than PD9. In my opinion there is virtually nothing between them. I guess they must use the same codecs, so perhaps it is not surprising. These two videos are only accessible to those who have the links below:

(Oh, BTW turn the sound off !!!)

Adobe PremPro

PD9 (Using Fast Video Rendering)

Unless you have a 20MB/s link, you should select the 1080p version then download them to view them. They are only just over a minute each but are 52.7MB and 47.9MB respectively.

Although most people here will already know: you have to shoot with either a very fast lens and/or loads of light. The lens does not want to be working wide open, as the DOF will throw resolution out of the window. Note that in the TV studios, the presenters get very hot, that is because the lights have to be really bright in order to get a sharp image. It is the same for us, only worse, as we don't pay commercial prices for our pro-am equipment. In our cameras, the lens opens up wide and the ISO gets turned up, producing masses of noise.

denbigh

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Aug 04. 2011 09:49

i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
PapidoFrance45
Member Location: France-St jean le blanc Joined: Jan 21, 2011 05:06 Messages: 83 Offline
[Post New]
Pour voir , une vidéo Source HD montée avec PD 9 .

http://www.vimeo.com/23720724 Hi All

Win10 64bits PRO OEM - i7 3820 3.6Ghz - 18Go de Ram-GTX960 (375.95)