Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Updates required?
Patrick36 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2010 01:06 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I recently purchased PowerDirector 9 (on disc) I had been using PD7.
Have just downloaded upgrade 2930 (which improved some things and made others worse!!!) so my question is: should I download the other upgrades listed (2702 - 2504 - 2330a - 2330) or does 2930 include those?
Thanks for help (1st post)
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
No need to install earlier updates, the latest update includes all previous ones.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Personal Opinion Only...

On a related note, I wish Cyberlink wouldn't call their updates "Patches". If you look at this page, http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do you see so many "patches" you get the impression that the products are of poor design and need constant fixing.

"Updates" or "Enhancements" sound more reassuring than "patches" don't cha think?

-Allen
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
you see so many "patches" you get the impression that the products are of poor design and need constant fixing.

It is.... and it does...... but we still love it anyway.....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 15. 2011 00:26

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
The 2504 patch contains an update for WaveEditor, if you have an earlier full build you should apply it before applying 2930.
[Post New]
Dafydd;
So much for the standard reply that we editors have learned to give
No need to install earlier updates, the latest update includes all previous ones.

Quote: The 2504 patch contains an update for WaveEditor, if you have an earlier full build you should apply it before applying 2930.

Whoa!! That sounds like it deserves to be on one of those "My BookMark" thingies!!!! I imagine it applies to 80% of the longtime users!!

If I understand that statement correctly, my original product was "PDR9_Ultra64_2316_VDE1009...exe"..so the correct path to proper program function is

1. Install 2316
2. Install 2504
3. Install 2930

Is that correct???

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 15. 2011 13:02

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Fred,
Blame Adrian we were playing and chatting about WE a while back during some updating and observed the following. We noted that 2504 changed the icon and updated WaveEditor but later builds did nothing.

I tend to install 2316 full build install contents, add key, apply 2504 and then 2930. So far everything is fine.

I will chase up the patch question with CL later. 2702 did do a few fixes and I'd guess that would be part of 2930.

[Post New]
well..I gotta see the icon change to believe it. I am uninstalling and following the new process. now! I will verify if I see the icon change!

EDIT: WAIT..scratch that..I don't want to get looped into the component activation issue (maybe NOT with 2316), or the BD folder issue, or the requirement to add back in my custom profiles, etc....so maybe it is easier to ask, can you (or Adrian) attach an image of the new WaveEditor Icon??

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 15. 2011 14:03

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Be bold Fred, be bold!
[Post New]
You mean that you need help figuring out how to capture an image of the new icon and that I should HELP you??

Yes..I have been bold many times...just trying to stop the rash of re-installs all over the world, by letting others see the new icon.

If you can't figure out how to post/attach one, I can help with that, too!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 15. 2011 14:29

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Scree-what....

I'm sure the icon is available within the WE.exe if you look

[Thumb - sduk2010-pd601.png]
 Filename
sduk2010-pd601.png
[Disk]
 Description
ha ha
 Filesize
9 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
239 time(s)
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd;
Just kidding around you know (I hope you do).

My icon is the same and I did NOT install 2504. Install sequence for me (started months ago) was:
1. Install 2316 +Content then enter KEY
2. Install 2702
3. Install 2930

Hope this helps other users (I am sure the icon will)
 Filename
waveeditor.png
[Disk]
 Description
My startup
 Filesize
499 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
223 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Not a problem Fred.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
In the interests of completeness, I've attached the "contents" of each patch. As can be seen not all patches include the WE folder.

In most circumstances I believe patches are cumulative but, if one has the 2316 original and an issue with the WE ( or there was an update in say 2504), just installing the 2930 patch may not help the "issue" since it has no WE content.

So, in the majority of circumstances the patches are, effectively, cumulative but maybe there are circumstances where they might not be - a bit like the use of SVRT I suppose?

Cheers
Adrian

[Thumb - Patches content~1.png]
 Filename
Patches content~1.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
599 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
248 time(s)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
[Post New]
Adrian;
Thanks for taking the time to build that comparison of files.

It DOES INDEED appear that some of the Cyberlink Powerdirector releases should be called UPDATES and some should be PATCHES or "Interim Updates",

No wonder so many of the users are experiencing different problems. Contributing to making it impossible to support this product effectively!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 16. 2011 11:12

floridagator
Newbie Location: Florida Joined: Nov 23, 2010 07:27 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
So, what should one do about patches. From the first patch to the latest, I seemed to get the impression that one should only install the latest patch and you were good to go. Not installing the patches in sequential order was not necessary i.e. the latest patch included all of the previous patches.
Does anyone have a definitive answer about installing or not installing patches.
Right now I have no patches installed. My program seems to be working OK for now wothout any patches. Everytime I install the patches I seem to have problems.
"Alas, where is one to go from here" Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
AMD Phenom ll X4 Processor 3.2ghz (4 CPUs)
ATI Radeon HD5670 1gb
8.00 gb Memory
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
I think there are probably 2 related but separate issues.

WE is, in effect, a sort of plugin, relatively standard and not the most sophisticated audio editor (quite functional for its intended use) and so updates/patches may well be needed less so it makes sense to reduce file sizes, possible installation corruption etc. by not including it in every release.

On the other hand, PD9 is a complex and evolving, relatively sophisticated software, possibly released a tad early and therefore requiring more regular fixes to address very specific issues, like SVRT or .MP4 hardware encoding, and some more general points, such as allowing a choice of transition default.

I have always assumed that updates are cumulative unless other information was published, such as 2330a for NVIDIA users but having this mix of protocols does perhaps lead to some confusion.

It is all too easy for the received wisdom to become unquestioned and therefore, in a minority of cases, lead to the incorrect conclusions. This WE issue is an illustrative case, as is the applicability of a dxdiag report in the recent cases of Optimus enabled laptops.

I'm not sure there is a definitive answer but I would assume that patches are cumulative, but not necessarily better, and that consideration about installation be measured rather than rushed. My system does not like 2930 for .mp4 production, 2330 works fine but does not have some of the fixes so a compromise may be required. Unsatisfactory but not uncommon. Many gamers (and possibly editors) will have experience of updating video drivers and fixing one thing and breaking another.

I think the motto is to keep all your original installation files safe and roll back if necessary.

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 16. 2011 15:01

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
floridagator
Newbie Location: Florida Joined: Nov 23, 2010 07:27 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
"I think the motto is to keep all your original installation files safe and roll back if necessary."

Good advise, Thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 16. 2011 18:53

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
AMD Phenom ll X4 Processor 3.2ghz (4 CPUs)
ATI Radeon HD5670 1gb
8.00 gb Memory
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
For the record:
2504 contains a Wave Editor update not present in 2702 or 2930.

CyberLink will correct the situation on the next patch.

For the moment, please apply 2504 and then 2930 for those with pre 2504 versions of PD9.

Please also note that Robert's initial instruction should have been correct had the later patches contained Wave Editor's corrections.

[Post New]
Dafydd;
Quote: ...Please also note that Robert's initial instruction should have been correct had the later patches contained Wave Editor's corrections.

Much too political a statement for me to unravel without an interpreter!

What I heard in my head as I read it was:
"And the moon should have been made of green cheese had it not been a planet in reality"

I must have applied all the patches in sequence to my PD9 installation. I have only ever done the uninstall/re-install process one time (knock wood), as a test, so I am not the most experienced in this realm.

Great to hear the resolution is slated for inclusion in a new patch and new users can possibly GET all the fixes in one patch..

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 22. 2011 10:24