Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Known Bugs on 2930
PDuser97031 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Aug 08, 2009 23:44 Messages: 91 Offline
[Post New]
Would it be possible for one of the senior forum persons to maintain a downloadable spreadsheet of known bugs in PD9/2930, with one of the columns being the workaround/circumvention if it is known? Ideally it would have a "fixed in next release" column, but doubt if there's anyway for anybody to know that, given the historic two-way communications with CL support services.

I'm getting ready to do 5 major projects using level 2930. Given the history of PD, I'm anticipating hitting roadblocks caused by bugs in the code. It would be great if I didn't have to spend a lot of time searching this forum, but could reference a list of known confirmed bugs, with maybe a way to get around it. Also would save a redundant trouble ticket being opened with support.

Having done video editing for over 5 years, using just about every video editor out there, and having used PD for over 3 years, I think I can discern a bug from a user error. Also, having been a programmer for over 25 years, supporting products from both the customer and provider side, and having lived through the horror years of PC products where the end user debugged the product for the vendor, I am familiar with the associated issues. I promise not to use a "bug list" as a hammer, but merely for reseraching usage issues (saving time and minimize reinventing the wheel).

THANKS!

P.S. Also, perhaps one of the senior forum person would like to post a blurb here, saying "Try it now using update 2930" or something to that affect.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372982,00.asp?tab=Reviews

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 24. 2011 18:03

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
That is a very good suggestion, but unfortunately it would be a monumental task. Systems vary greatly. I find very few bugs in the latest releases while some users report that PD9 is completely unusable. I believe there is a sticky at the top of the forum in which Dafydd has posted several links to issues. That may help some. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
PDuser97031 [Avatar]
[Post New]
..."unfortunately it would be a monumental task"

I'll take your word for it, not knowing how many actual bugs are in level 2930. What I had in mind was something like this. Let's say there are a dozen known bugs that have been vetted by CL as needing to be fixed. By "bug" I mean it can be reproduced on any system (not internittent and not system dependent). An example would be the one where if you insert a text block in the text track, text to the right stays put. But if you delete a block from the text track, text to the right shifts left (should stay put). The list would not necessarilly include problems/issues reported on this forum, which as you say can be "monumental". People could then search the list of known problems being worked on by CL, use any circumventions in the list and/or wait for the next update release. If they don't find their problem on the list, they could make a post here and/or submit a trouble ticket.

Just a thought...
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
By "bug" I mean it can be reproduced on any system (not internittent and not system dependent).

That would be a much smaller list, but probably would cover very little of what we see every day here in the forums. So much of how PD performs is system dependent. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
What seems to be a bug for you may not even be a issue for me and work as expected....... That's the life of PD9.....

There are a lot of computers old and NEW that cannot perform well with PD9. When something crashes for you and runs as expected for someone else is not a "bug" within PD9 for the most part. Now if the same things crashes for everyone, that could be a bug of sorts.

There are so many people having issues with PD9 that a running report would be impossible. I am like Jaime, I have no real problems with my projects. There even seems to be different issues between running 32 bit and 64 bit, that the 32 bit users like myself have less problems. I tried 64 bit when 7 first came out. I still do not think 64 bit is ready for prime time yet. But that is just my opinion. And now that you do not have an option for 32 bit on a new machine it is too bad, as I think some of the machines in here with problems running PD9 in 64 bit mode may not have any problems if they had 32 bit Windows.

And as far as those SSD drives are concerned. Unless you can get a 300 gig one.... DON'T! And Don't even try PD9 with a 80-100 gig SSD drive (or any other drive with less that 100 gig free space.)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 25. 2011 16:46

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
PDuser97031 [Avatar]
[Post New]
10-4. I'll consider this a dead issue and not flog it any more.

The hidden agenda behind such a list would be the "wishfull thinking" hope that it might influence CL to not release a product 6 months prematurely again. Five major updates to a product within months of releasing does not speak well for CL's quality control. But then I joust at windmills too.

Regarding the philosopy of having to have the right hardware to run an "open use" software product -- sorry, but I can't buy into that. A product like PowerDirector should be able do every function on any computer that meets the published hardware requirement. So often over the many years of dealing with technical support on products, the message communicated to the user is "get the right hardware and our product runs fine". This is a cop out. I've even had vendors tell me I need to have a dual boot system with their product on a specially configured OS, untill I reverse engineered the machine code, developed my own patch, and showed them it now runs on any machine. No, what vendors need to do is develop their code so that it works on the "lowest common denominator". The big negative that, of course, being to not exploit the special features of some systems to optimize performance. I give CL credit for trying to push the edges of the envelope of PC hardware, including "rendering" video cards. Their attempt to milk the optimum performance out of our machines is admirable. In CL's case, I don't think their programming staff was prepared for the nuances of coding for multi-threading CPU's, and the timing issues they present. They should have held off releasing products during their learning curve (resulting in happier customers). I suspect most of the "hardware dependent" bugs have more to do with this than 32 bit vs 64 bit. Just a guess mind you.

Hasta la vista...

All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
To shed a bit of light on this from being a user on another forum for a competing video editing application the issues there are identical to PD9's. There's simply too many configurations possible to list all issues. The crashes, hangs, video artifacts, transition issues all exist but on different configurations - HD editing is NOT a cut and dry application on a PC. Unless you're running the latest hardware and software there are bound to be problems. And even then the "latest" does not always produces the best. Win 10, i7
PDuser97031 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes indeed. Of the 3 other "consumer" video editors I own, all have usage issues. Albeit not to the degree of PD9 (production limiting), and they are more or less "documented" (acknowledged). Knowing this is not the place to have a philosophical discussion about marketing a software product, will exit with the following rhetorical questions...

Should a person who buys a software product expect all the advertised features to work on their computer (assuming meets manufacturer's minimums)? If not, how will user know what won't work? Must each user go through this discovery process?

Out...
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]

This thread holds an interesting conversation.
I hope it will not be doomed as not editing-related or besides whatever point.

I would have liked to quote a line from a Norwegian song. Translated, it misses "the snap" it
has in my language. "It's not easy these days to be a bird".
I wonder if it's possible to compare computers+software to other stuff we might purchase,
lets say bicyckles, skies....cars? What we look for would most likely be in light of
answers to the questions: How will I use it? What are my skills? How often will I need/use it?
What am I prepared to pay?
If you were to buy skies here today, you will have to study long and hard to be able to
choose between all the models- or, rely on the seller to find you the "right" pair to suit
your use/need. But that's only the start. When the skies are home, you will have to spend
time finding your way of using all kinds of different skiwax - only to experience a
reasonable sucsessful day out on your skies.
We have been taught and learned to accept (?) that there is a coherence between price
and quality. Every now and then we see proof of that's not always the case, but still we
assume it's so. Not to mention that products of today are not meant to last very long. Wheels
must turn, and they turn as fast as money can shift hands.

Nevertheless; you expect more from a software costing 800$ as opposed to 100$. But then,
when the software actually costs 100$ you sort of expect it to really be "consumer" , just as
advertised and marketed as. What I really don't know is; what is "a consumer" computer
these days? What do people, the "avarage consumer" buy?
Surely, I'm thinking, there must be some sort of coherence between "consumer computer" and "consumer software".

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com