Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transitions going black
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I am using my DM1, and I still have the long-term issue of most of my transitions going to black before the next scene kicks in. Utterly useless.
I have determined that PD9 is an NLE designed BY the criminally insane, FOR the clinically insane.
So much of the basic needs of editing are simply not working. It makes me crazier that CL is developing more programs before attending to the task at hand. Totally irresponsible, and it gives me the impression they are laughing at us.
They couldn't care less if ANY of this works.
You can be sure I'll not recommend this DOG to anyone again. I did once, and it bit me in the arse.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 03. 2011 12:58

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
and it bit me in the arse

Can you post an image? - just to lighten the mood a little.

Cheers
your best mate Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]

Dear Barry,

....not sure about the image Adrian asked for

But hey- since you already are in the mood, why don't you try rolling
back to 2330? Just for the h.... of it. It might give you something different.
As I've said before; 2702 was utterly non functioning here with me.
To avoid the insanity, I tried rolling back- and on 2330 I can get things done- (aside from
rendering problems)

And Barry, I totally like the word
irresponible

Have to save that.

Blondie
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
It seems to be less of an issue (still there, though) on my DV7 (Nvidia). The DM1 is AMD (formerly ATI).
Odd thing, too, with shadow files enabled and finished, 9 runs better, generally speaking, on the DM1!

EDIT: Sorry for starting the day this way, but I woke up crabby.
[Thumb - Me_arse.png]
 Filename
Me_arse.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
135 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
312 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun 03. 2011 09:57

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Good looking arse, isn't it. At the risk of arousing some suspicions it looks familiar somehow.

cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
dale9532 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 23, 2010 05:14 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Yep happens to me too.. essentially the fade transitions go haywire. One time it works.. then the next time I preview it, it goes black, then plays the last 1 sec of the clip (which originally should have went black). Then I'll delete the transition, re-insert it, then it works fine. In production it seems to render the correct transition.. but one time I produced the movie, and it produced the messed up fades! I just chalk it up as an another bug in PD9.

What's really bizarre is track 1. Have you noticed bugs on Track 1? For example, after the first 50 minutes of a movie file, the Track 1 Audio button shuts down the program (at least in mine it does). In other words, I'm working in my movie at, say, 55 minutes. I want to increase the audio on one of my video clips on Track 1, and I'll try to increase it in the audio mixing room, and then it shuts down the program! But before about 55 minutes (or so) it works fine! Another one is copying/pasting video clips and titles on Track 1. It will shift all the other clips from each other on the same track (the audio/video will shift from each other).. but it doesn't do that on track 2! But I think that's a well-known bug.

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, I noticed in my recent project that after 40 minutes or so in the timeline, there was a couple of my transitions not acting right in preview even though I had used the same ones several times. Not just the normal fade, but some of the wipe transitions. I thought it was just me. Same as Barry and Dale stated. It would start the transition then there would be a "quick" flash of the next photo, then the transition would kick back in and finish.

But my completed (rendered and burned) project does not show the problem. BUT....my finished version always has a small "hiccup" right at 8 seconds of one of my titles done in perspective as it is scrolling up after rendering. I have to say that after years of using PD it is the first time I ever put a perspective movement title in a video as I had made a twinkling star field particle background, which I had stretched to 35 minutes....

When I get a minute I will try to see if I can catch it with a screen capture to show you how strange the transition acted as it would not do it every time you previewed.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun 03. 2011 10:45

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
dale9532 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah but with all the bugs, PD9 is still the best bang for the buck. Consider the alternatives for Windows. For Mac there is iMovie which I guess is pretty good. The professionals use Final Cut Pro, which I think is Mac again, but I think it's a $1,000 program. Then there is Adobe After Effects, etc.. but it's a $800 program! Then there is PD9 with all its flaws.. but $70.00. I'm not a rich person, so PD9 works perfect for what I need. I've produced tons of movies using the PowerDirector series, and I'm happy with it.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
This IS my happy face. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Yep... Dale.... I hate PD so much I have only been using it since version 3..... tried some of those others,,, stayed with PD as I seldom have crashes or major issues. My projects always get finished..... on time with happy customers.

No one still can't compete with PD's title capabilities, which is my most used function.

Unfortunately what most people in here try to call bugs is more an issue of computer inadequacy, improper set up, and old drivers.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 03. 2011 14:43

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
C,mon Bubba, we're talking TRANSITIONS here. And although my DM1 is a little short on horsey-power, there's no reason my DV7 should have the same/similar issues, including, mostly, issues-by-design!
And there are more powerful computers suffering, also.
I love what PD does, when it does it.
The UI is fantastic, even without DURATION buttons, and missing "right-click" options.
I too get projects done which get "oooo"s and "aaaahhhhh"s.
Of course, the 64 bit thing is all new, but I would expect another patch by now.
Don't you tell me sometimes you don't want to pull your hair out.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 03. 2011 18:21

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
I've often wondered why I went to PD9 and then DING! I rolled - quite difficult being a glorified garden shed - back to the safety and SANITY of PD8 - which works like a charm.

No freezing transitions, no out out of sync issues and no crashes and way faster than PD9 Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Bubba in TX
[Post New]
Well I have to admit since version 7 I have been a LOT happier. (since I got to dump version 7 that is)

I agree, even I think for all us NON 64bit people that are not interested in HD video that PD8 is still the best way to go.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun 03. 2011 20:27

**NOTICE**

DXDIAG Link
PDuser97031 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Aug 08, 2009 23:44 Messages: 91 Offline
[Post New]
There is a sample of this problem in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55cW9VtP5G4
at 12:27 into the video (go to about 12:20 and hit play).

It happens in both preview mode and with rendering the output. It is very random usually, but in this project it always occurs at this point in the video (solid failure). Degree of which depends on resolution of preview. Small preview gives random black transitions at this point every time. "Launch media viewer" and previewing in full screen results in the blue screen of death on my PC. I have not test it, but I doubt if this problem would occur rendering to say WMV, which does not use hardware acceleration.

It might be related to video driver and/or multi cpu cores (multi threading). Turning off hardware acceleration seems to prevent the problem (has not occured on this test video with acceleration turned off).

I'm about to upgrade to Windows 7 on a new hard drive, and will test this failure again afterward. My version is PD 9.0.0.2702

I have opened 14 trouble tickets on PD since 08/2009, none of which have resulted in a resolution. CB supports assumes their product is perfect, so if you are submitting a problem report it must be user error. Having even pressed some of these tickets up to 2nd level phone support, and never getting a "you're right, we must have a problem" attitude back from CB, I don't think I'll bother jousting at this windmill.

To CB's credit, I own Sony Vegas, Pinnacle VideoStudio, and Corel VideoStudio X3 in addition to PowerDirector, and even though PD is the buggiest of the four product by far, it's what I always turn to for "post production". Why? In spite of having to use a crowbar to get through a project, a better end product can be created in less time.

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
That's a 5-star post. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
dale9532 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Great post PDUser.. especially the last paragraph
onlyjoshinya [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 18, 2011 16:23 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Just a heads up to everyone, make sure when your applying your transition that it crosses over the end of the clip and partially onto the next clip. It will then kind of merge them together to make the transition, If it is only at the end of the clip it will go to black after the transition.

hope that helps some of you
Kevin R.
Contributor Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:58 Messages: 320 Offline
[Post New]
And all this time I felt bad about buying PD 8 just a few weeks before 9 came out. Now, maybe not so much. I've had near flawless perfection with PD8 Ultra. I guess this proves the proverb"Watch what you wish for". Saving the world, one goofy video and meme at a time.