Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Adjust menu music duration after main DVD menu
Phil123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 06, 2011 12:20 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Is there any way to increase the duration of music to play at lower level DVD menus?

The default time for DVD menu music is 15 seconds.
Many have posted that this can be extended up to 99 seconds by adjusting the "Auto Menu Timeout".
I have found this works in PD9 for the main menu (at start of a DVD).
However, the next level of menu is not adjusted and remains at 15 seconds.
( I am working on a DVD with three movies that each have multiple chapters)
I'd like to use the ability in PD9 to have different songs playing for these different menus.
However, the different songs have different lengths and being cut at 15 seconds.

For example:
When DVD begins - Set "Auto Menu Timeout" to 60 seconds
When Movie #1 is selected and chapter menu displayed - Set music duration to 30 seconds
When Movie #2 is selected and chapter menu displayed - Set music duration to 40 seconds
Etc.

Your help is much appreciated.
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
The length of audio is tied to the length of the background video. You would need a background video for the Title/Chapter menu that's at least 40 seconds long. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
Des Towers
Member Location: Rotorua New Zealand Joined: Mar 29, 2007 18:57 Messages: 149 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Phil123,

I have struck the exact same problem when creating a menu.While the length of the background music on the root or main menu page can be lengthened to a maximum of 99 secs(assuming your audio file is 99secs or greater) there seems to be no way that you can extend the background music for the Chapter/Title page. The maximum seems to be 19secs and then it loops.

The length of the video in the chapter thumbnails is unrelated. Even if it was related there seems to be no way that you can adjust the length of time that the thumbnail video plays.?

I would be interested if anyone has an answer.

Cheers
Des

PS. I am doing a wedding video and I am using different still images for the.backgrounds of the root menu and the titles/ chapter page.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 13. 2011 19:02

Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
Did you read my post? I've gotten the title/chapter audio to play at least a minute. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
Phil123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Xerox!
I will try inserting a video with the audio I wish to play on the different Title/Chapter menus.
Look for my report back.
Phil123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, after much testing I can confirm the background video will extend the music playing time on the Title/Chapter page of a DVD.

After the opening menu, there is the Title/Chapter menu. This will provide the background for all titles in the finished DVD. So in my example, I would have two of these and they all must have the same background video. At first I thought this would be a real limitation because it does not always match the material in each title. But I eventually made a sort of collage of all the content on this DVD.

Here is what I found:
1) I made a 2min video (with music) and inserted this in the title/chapters page using the menu designer.
2) I made my two title DVD by selecting "create disk" and inserting my two projects.
3) I applied my new "menu" and then added music on each the Title/Chapter pages. I had to apply music because the music (sound) from my background video did not play. In this step, my music was of different lengths; 30 secs and 2min.
4) I selected "Preview" to see how it all looked. On title #1; this Title/Chapter page played the 2min background for 99Sec then repeated and simply repeated my 30sec audio 3.3 times. On title #2, this Title/Chapter page played the 2min background and my 2min music for 99sec then repeated both.
5) While the video must be the same, at least I can select different music for each Title/Chapter page!

Of note: there is much discussion on this page about using the "duration" value under the "playback options" to determine how long the menu pages will run before repeating. I had set mine to 60secs and this did not have any effect on the default of 15sec for title/chapter page but did increase the opening menu page.

Creating the background video does allow me to increase the Title/Chapter page up to 99secs.
Epioblasma [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 13, 2020 18:48 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Where is the auto menu time out option in Power Director 17?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 22. 2022 09:29

Epioblasma [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 13, 2020 18:48 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote OK, after much testing I can confirm the background video will extend the music playing time on the Title/Chapter page of a DVD.

After the opening menu, there is the Title/Chapter menu. This will provide the background for all titles in the finished DVD. So in my example, I would have two of these and they all must have the same background video. At first I thought this would be a real limitation because it does not always match the material in each title. But I eventually made a sort of collage of all the content on this DVD.

Here is what I found:
1) I made a 2min video (with music) and inserted this in the title/chapters page using the menu designer.
2) I made my two title DVD by selecting "create disk" and inserting my two projects.
3) I applied my new "menu" and then added music on each the Title/Chapter pages. I had to apply music because the music (sound) from my background video did not play. In this step, my music was of different lengths; 30 secs and 2min.
4) I selected "Preview" to see how it all looked. On title #1; this Title/Chapter page played the 2min background for 99Sec then repeated and simply repeated my 30sec audio 3.3 times. On title #2, this Title/Chapter page played the 2min background and my 2min music for 99sec then repeated both.
5) While the video must be the same, at least I can select different music for each Title/Chapter page!

Of note: there is much discussion on this page about using the "duration" value under the "playback options" to determine how long the menu pages will run before repeating. I had set mine to 60secs and this did not have any effect on the default of 15sec for title/chapter page but did increase the opening menu page.

Creating the background video does allow me to increase the Title/Chapter page up to 99secs.

I just created a video from the stillimage I was using for my root menu, but wehn I import it as the background, the music still loops at 15 seconds. I'm using PD 17, and can't find any recent suggestions how to work around this. I have found one in the past that let me reset the duration, but can't find if now.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Create Disc/Playback mode button will bring up the menu.