Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 11 ULTRA highest possible quality options?
Fabulist [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 05, 2011 09:37 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hello everyone,

I've been recently searching over the internet regarding how to set up PowerDVD onto having the best quality output results. Unfortunately the information is vast and I am unable to make up my mind, thus I need to ask here, the experts.

I will start with some specifications of my system:

-Windows 7 x64 HP SP1

-2x Nvidia GTX 295 (EVGA OC Quad SLI)

-Intel Core i7 Processor Extreme Edition (975 Quad)

-Standard computer monitor – soon to connect the computer with a Sony Bravia, but I mostly use the monitor.

If more specs are needed regarding my questions, please let me know. Now I would like to ask the following:

1. TrueTheatre gives me better (or it seems so) visual quality over NVIDIA Pure Video (Hardware Acceleration), which would actually give me the best results?

2. TrueTheatre supports “TrueTheatre HD & NVIDIA Cuda” assuming I have them both enabled, which is the best “sharpness” level? I see the picture getting jaggy the sharper I move the slide. In addition to the above, is the PowerDVD sharpening effect conflicting with the NVIDIA’s panel “Adjust video image settings”? Should I have NVIDIA’s “Edge enhancement” and “Noise reduction” disabled?

3. In general, assuming TrueTheatre is the best for me or the one I prefer, which options conclude to the best results? E.g. should I use “TrueTheatre Lightning”? And at what level? Should I use the intergraded “Noise Reduction PowerDVD has? Are there any other options I should tweak to enhance my results?

4. A specific problem I’ve been having is with de-interlacing, there are numerous inaccurate, outdated, or personal opinion oriented posts regarding this matter. I fail to understand what the best option to use is. More specifically; should my de-interlacing method be “Based on flags or bitstream analysis?” maybe I should click the option “Always perform de-interlacing?”

In addition, what algorithm options I should use? Hardware or Smart? I believe hardware is the best option to use (I am not certain though), but I see some methods properly named and others in GUID values. I do not understand why this is happening but as far as I was informed via Google there is no double frame de-interlacing (like yadiff 2x) so which one is the “best”?

-/-

Excuse my wall of text, but I would like to get the best out of the product, please note that I usually play video files (1080p – 720p) such as YouTube files or downloaded videos from other websites that are almost like a Blu-Ray in terms of quality (e.g. .mkv files).

Thanks for taking your time reading this; I hope someone can help me out!
Fabulist [Avatar]
[Post New]
There are no official or non-official responses regarding these matters? No one can help me out and point me to quality procedures?

Thanks.
tvplooks4answers [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 07, 2011 14:50 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the same issue with MKV. In fact, it seems that DVD via Hard Drive (as oppose to disc) has a similar issue. When PowerDVD 11 plays a VOB directly, the quality of the image (especially interlaced video) suffers greatly. The irony is, PowerDVD 10 doesn't seem to possess these issue.
Fabulist [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well I wouldn't say I really have an issue, more like advice for adjustments.

Wierd that after so many days not one official from CyberLink has replied this.