Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cannot adjust volume of Smartsound file
DavidWVH [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Texas Joined: Jun 20, 2010 16:27 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I am a moderately new user of PowerDirector, and I have some scattered video editing experience over the last 10 years. For the most part, my video editing adventures have been straightforward, but I've come across something that is fairly problematic. I have added a Smartsound file to the music track of a video I'm making, and I want it to be quiet background music. However, when I change the volume of this file in the music track in the "Audio Mixing Room" tab of the video editing page, the volume I hear when previewing (as well as in the exported file) has no response. Even if I put the volume of the file down to 0 and also move the gain to 0, the Smart sound file sounds just as loud as when the volume was at the default of 50 with the gain in the middle. At that setting the music should be silent!

Wanting to make sure that I was doing everything correctly, I imported an MP3 file to the music track instead, and I was able to adjust it's volume with no problem. This seems to be indicative that there is some sort of problem with the Smartsound file.

Any experience with this? I am using PowerDirector 9.0 on a computer with Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
What you do not know, is the fact that a Smart Sound file is not actually a "sound file".

Smart Sound is a Program that adjusts the length of the music to fit the video. It does not adjust the volume level except for a 'normal' level.

A work around is to put the smart sound in the timeline then Produce the video.

After you have the production, you remove the previous video and smart sound track.
Place your new produced video on the timeline, now you can use Audio Mixing Room to adjust the sound level of that sound track.

The sound track is now a real audio track. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
If you put the SmartSound on the Voice-over track, you can control the volume in the Audio Mixing Room, where you can hear the adjustments being made. When you're done with that, you can drag the SmartSound down to the Music track, where your volume adjustments can still be heard. You can even continue keyframming the SmartSound in the Music track. The volume changes are heard in produced files.

Be aware! I have a very special computer. This may not work for you. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
Dave212321 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 15, 2011 09:16 Messages: 125 Offline
[Post New]
I thought I saw in a youtube video them adjusting the sound volume of a SS track and using it as a selling point. I'll have to see if my assumption is right by searching for that tutorial again.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
You should be able to treat SS tracks just like any other music track/audio file.
Each track can be dragged into either the mic or music tracks at the bottom of the screen.
You can adjust the volume by cllicking points directly in the edit UI, or by opening the sound mixer UI.
What song are you using?
What version of Quicktracks are you using? Should be 5.1.8.
See PM. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi David, Dave, Xerox, Carl & Barry da Crab -

The SS track in the image above had its levels adjusted (a) in the audio room with the volume slider & (b) directly in the timeline, at different points during editing.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
DavidWVH [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for all of the prompt replies! I'll address each one.

Xerox: I tried putting the Smartsound track in the voiceover track (instead of the music track), and adjusting the volume still had no effect on what I was hearing.

Dave: It definitely seems like adjusting the volume should be straightforward.I definitely had no problems with it in PowerDirector 8.

Barry: like I mentioned, I also thought that I should be able to treat the Smartsound like any other music or audio file. That's what makes this so frustrating! I'm trying to use the Sly version of "It's Cool", but I have also tried this with other files that came with PowerDirector 9. I'm not able to adjust the volume of any of the Smartsound options. I am indeed using Quicktracks version 5.8.1.0.

Tony: This was exactly the method I was trying to use. My preferred method was adjusting the levels in the audio room, but I also attempted adjusting the levels directly in the timeline.

Carl: I like your creative work around to be able to adjust the volume. It's definitely a few extra steps, but it sounds like it should work. A downside is certainly the fact that the length of the Smartsound track could no longer be adjusted once producing and reinserting into the timeline.

I would still like to hear if anyone else has any more ideas as to why adjusting the volume levels is not having an effect. Based on some of your input, it sounds like there could be a glitch in my copy. It sounds like other people are able to change the volume, but for some reason mine is not working.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
The only other things I can think of before asking SS tech support (very good by-the-way),
1) update Quicktime
2) Install ffdshow codec pack
3) punt HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Curious.... I can adjust volume in a SS clip like any other audio clip.... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Yes Bubba, it is curious.
I can’t adjust the volume of SS tracks either. Used to be able to in PD8, but not in PD9.

PD9.0.0.2702 - XP Pro Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
I cannot adjust the volume with SS in the music track. I can set the markers, but they have no effect on the volume level.

If however, I simply move the track to the voice track and back then the volume settings take effect. Or if I move it one frame to the right then back the volume settings are recognized.

This is a strange one for sure.

Hal

OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
if I move it one frame to the right then back the volume settings are recognized.

Thanks for the tip Halcon!
Yep, that works for me as well.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 25. 2011 20:18

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
DavidWVH [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: If however, I simply move the track to the voice track and back then the volume settings take effect. Or if I move it one frame to the right then back the volume settings are recognized.

This is a strange one for sure.

I tried the earlier suggestion of moving to the voiceover track and then back, but that didn't work. At least I thought it didn't… This trick works perfectly! Very strange. Thanks so much.
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
Your welcome. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.