Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Wave Editor wont work with WMA files- Solved
Dave212321 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 15, 2011 09:16 Messages: 125 Offline
[Post New]
I thought I'd post this as a follow up to my problem that went unresolved with no resolving answer a few months ago.

I could not get Wave Editor to edit a WMA file. So I tried last light in Audasity and an error message came up saying WMA is proprietary and they don't have the rights to edit or load a wma file.

So this must be the reason wave editor wont do it either although it doesn't tell you and leaves you guessing.

Unfortunately my recording software used wma as the default start up format and I went quite far with wma before going to mp3.

All this compatibility issues are getting out of hand and is definitely souring the consumer who is unaware of these issues.

Luckily Sound Forge will process wma but my hunch is they payed royalties to microsoft to do so.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 18. 2011 10:37

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Please attach the wma file you have encountered a problem with.
I have just edited a wma file in CyberLink Wave Editor without any problems.
Thanks
Dafydd
[Thumb - sduk2010-pd445.png]
 Filename
sduk2010-pd445.png
[Disk]
 Description
Wave editor edits wma
 Filesize
85 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2884 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 18. 2011 11:17

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Just for reference..

Format Factory (free, latest ver 2.60) will convert all your audio and video back and forth. Including wma with no problems. Even from midi to all other formats... Better than SUPER ever was...

Audacity will not open any of my hundreds of wma audio files. But my ancient Sound Editor Pro has no problem, and PD wave editor has no problem.

Yes I would like to see one of the wma files giving you problems just to se what Format Factory and my old Sound Editor Pro can do with it.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Apr 18. 2011 11:42

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Dave212321 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did attach a wma file to my previous post but I cant find my old post. Too much to sift through while searching for it.

BF-EGGS.WMA Soundforge has no issues with opening this file and editing it. Wave editor will error and say file not imported.

Here it is again.

Filename
BF Eggs.wma
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
57 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
395 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 18. 2011 13:54

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dave,
1. I agree your file wont import.
2. What did you use to record the voice over for bullfrog tadpole audio?
3. In media info:
Audio
ID : 1
Format : WMSpeech
Codec ID : A
Description of the codec : Windows Media Audio Voice 9 - 20 kbps, 22.05 kHz, mono
Duration : 19s 568ms
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 20.9 Kbps
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Sampling rate : 22.05 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits
Stream size : 50.0 KiB (88%)
Language : en-us

I note a number of differences from the file I recorded.

Compared to the one i created:
Audio
ID : 1
Format : WMA3
Format profile : M0
Codec ID : 162
Codec ID/Info : Windows Media Audio 3
Description of the codec : Windows Media Audio 10 Professional - 64 kbps, 44 kHz, 2 channel 16 bit 1-pass CBR
Duration : 6s 359ms
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 64.0 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits
Stream size : 49.7 KiB (78%)
Language : en-US

Thanks
Dafydd
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
NO.... my PD9 will not edit it, but my Format Factory converted it no problem and I then could edit it in PD9.

By the way, with Format Factory you can batch convert your files....
 Filename
BF Eggs.mp3
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
313 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
620 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Apr 18. 2011 16:08

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Dave212321 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well I used Total Recorder with its default setting and a MS-VX1000 webcam mic to record the voice overs.

From now on I'm sticking with mp3 as Wave Editor can load files made with Totalrecorder in the mp3 format.

I don't know if there is an advantage of WAV vs MP3 vs WMA.

Well compatibility wasn't the issue then but the amount of anomalies I have come across since video editing do wear on me.

Thanks for your guys time. I know its not easy trying to solve every issue on the board and you guys do your best to do so in such a variable environment.

Bubba in TX
[Post New]
Only that wav files are larger, but that's a "what does it matter?" situation... and wav is not variable. That's what I use in my Christmas lighting sequences because some mp3's "wander" a little in different places every time it's played and will make my lights off some for a little bit. __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

**NOTICE**

DXDIAG Link