Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Year long video project help
cageybird [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 09, 2011 17:23 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
hi, I'm fairly new to PD and new to this form. I don't know how to do a search so if this is already somewhere please forgive me.

I am a Sunday School teacher. I teach kids who are from 3-5 years old. And I have started video taping my classes. The project I am trying to do is to take clips from the videos when the kids do something that is really funny and make a DVD for the parents at the end of the year. But my hard drive isn't large enough to store a years worth of 45 minute videos. can someone suggest something to help me out?

I am currently using PD 9 ultra. Cageybird
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
cageybird,

The easiest way to accomplish what you need is to edit and produce each weeks video. Cut out all the video that will not be used and produce the resulting project to a quality at least equal to your original.

You can name each project according to the week or any other scheme you think will be easy to sort. (Sundayschool01, Sundayschool02 etc.)

Once you have each weeks project ready, produce it using a name that is the same as the project. If you haven't got the room to store the original footage you can delete it after producing. But remember, you will not be able to do any changes to the original project after the files are deleted.

For the final DVD, you simply import all the produced files into a new project, edit and create your final DVD.

Hope this helps.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
[Post New]
cageybird;
There is another approach to consider. Depending on your machine, it is possible that you can add a large harddrive (for little $$) and then you will have plenty of space to keep your videos.

There are many very willing people here who might help you accomplish this. The help them, you must create and post a DXDIAG file, so they can "see" your current hardware setup.

Follow the instructions in "PART B" at the link below, then return here and choose the "POST REPLY" button, so yuou can attach the file you save.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
I have 4 USB hard drives attached to store my videos. They are 1 TB, not counting the two 1TB drives in the computer...

I have a SATA drive docking station ($35 Ebay, includes 2 USB ports and all camera card slots)) and I can simply hot swap other SATA drives (laptop/desktop) that I have from 320 Gig to 600 gig. I have 10 of those from old computers/laptops that I work on from time to time.

USB 1 TB hard drives are now about $65 or so. Only way to go for anyone. Dafydd recently got a 2TB USB drive.

I lost 11 years worth of research once (before the days of very large hard drives) and I had three drives in the computer backing it up. (360 meg at the time) The D drive failed and was replaced, everything put back. I was not in a great hurry do put my research back on the D drive as I was only home for the weekends at the time (military), and 6 days later the E backup drive failed.

I now believe in triple and fourple back up. I do not want to retype over 10 thousands pages again. EVER!!! Actually I would't now anyway.

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at Apr 09. 2011 20:35

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
cageybird [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 09, 2011 17:23 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks y'all. It seams to me that the post from HAL is the easiest one for me. I am doing these on my laptop and unable to carry a lot of storage around with me. But I do have a 1TB external hard drive i purchased recently. Maybe I can do a combo of both. Store the footage on the external Hard drive in case I need to access that file again and produce as i go so it won't take up so much storeage on my laptop. But which file format would you recomend? Cageybird