Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Linking Track
ralphps2000 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 01, 2011 00:03 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
If your project has ten tracks of video, images, music, etc. and you want to add video in front of track number one but keep the time relationships with the other tracks in sync with track one, how can you it?

Thanks in advance.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
In the settings, under editing, there is a check box near the top that says 'link all tracks...". Make sure it is checked. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
ralphps2000 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your help. You helped me out a lot.
ralphps2000 [Avatar]
[Post New]
By the way, when I'm working on a project I'll import media files (music, sound effects, etc.) into the project's Media Room. Later, if I move the location of those files the project won't reload those files-- since they were moved, they can't be found. Are the file names of the missing media recoverable in the project so you can browse for them?

Also, when I download sound(s)/music from Freesound while working on project, I may download a sound that I'm not going to use in that project-- can it be saved in a general location but not in the project's library?

I was going to organize sound, sound effects, music into specific catalogs, but now if I do it it will remove those effects from my project.

Any suggestions?
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
The best tip I can give you is have all of your files in the one folder on an internal HD and don't move them until your project is finished.

If you have plenty of HD space when you have finished your project you can export "Pack" your project to anywhere you like. When you pack your project it will copy all of the files used in your project to the packed folder as a complete backup for future use or even move to different computer which has PD installed. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
ralphps2000 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks I'm going to have to start new with my files. Thanks for the tip about exporting the project. That will work great.
Dave212321 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 15, 2011 09:16 Messages: 125 Offline
[Post New]
I create a directory named after the project and have separate voice, video, photo directories under it. I don't like junking lots of files together especially video and photo.

One thing to be aware of that happened to me recently:

I stretched my photos to 16:9 in the program and for some reason the next time I opened my project it was looking for the stretched files suddenly in my USERS folder on C: drive under renamed files of the date I did the stretch.

I believe this could have been caused by me not saving right after the stretch and the program crashed. Upon reload, it looked elsewhere for the photos.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 08. 2011 07:53

ralphps2000 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I think that happened to me when I first started using the program. This program is great, but since there's never a real in depth manual that goes along with most software, it's a learn as you go system based on largely getting your answers via a forum-- other's misfortunes and experience.

Great program, but I'm still trying to get the most out of it.
Dave212321 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ralph it needs to give us more control kind of like a CADD program does for directory and file structure. It already window selects like a CADD program and I like that.

Actually Powerlink developers can learn a lot by the way Autocad is implemented. I see more and more professionals switching to PD as it gets enhanced but it should IMO allow better customization to be on top of the others.

I just finished the pre-release of my video and I say its not far from being a professional animal planet like film.

The potential of PD is enormous.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 08. 2011 09:16

max0331 [Avatar]
Member Location: Iowa Joined: Dec 29, 2010 13:58 Messages: 52 Offline
[Post New]
ralphps2000,

I've moved files PD9 was using before. It tells you when you open the project that it can't find them, however, it gives you a chance to browse for the file. Simply click browse, locate the file(s) in question (you will have to do this with each file you have moved) and click on them. PD9 will now look there each time it loads your project.

It IS best though to not move your files once you've started a project. One suggestion though. If your creating a project that you know may take a long time to complete, you can simply "copy" all the files you want to use and put them in a folder dedicated to that project. Once your project is complete, since these files are simply copies, you can simply delete the folder and all of its contents. I've found this method to be quite usefull especially since I'm scanning and sorting old photos quite often. Just a suggestion.

-Max

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 08. 2011 09:31

Dave212321 [Avatar]
[Post New]
"you can simply "copy" all the files you want to use and put them in a folder dedicated to that project."

Good point and it can easily be done automatically using the file export command.

Be careful if you edit a newly unlinked wave file as it gives no option to save where you want it and the edited wave automatically goes into the export folder. I learned this the hard way also. It also does not let you name it what you want to either.

I'm always having to close the project and moving the edited wave file back into my sound folder and reopening the project and browsing back to the file. At least I know now to do this and....

A work around is better than no work around.

If there was only a PDS editor where we could edit file names and locations.

Still enjoying the program though and getting used to it not being especially made for me.

We can make it work.

This message was edited 8 times. Last update was at Apr 08. 2011 10:35

Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ralph,

I reference to your comment about in-depth manuals, go to the below thread in this forum, posted by Niel, CubbyHouseFilms:

PD9 INTRODUCTION TO CREATIVE MOVIE MAKING GUIDE

Regards,

Pax Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
ralphps2000 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks! That's a big help. I didn't even though that was available. PERFECT!!!