Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD-9 Ejects DVD & DVD-Drive Becomes "Non-Recordable" Until Restart.
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
I've finally narrowed down my issues with DVD burning to a single problem. Searches of Google, or this forum have not turned up anything, so I'm asking if anyone here in the PD9 family can guide me in the right direction.

When a DVD is finished burning and I hit the "OK" button on the "Burning Complete" dialogue box, the DVD ejects and my DVD drive becomes unrecognizable as a "Recordable" DVD device in Windows-7 Explorer. The little "DVD" icon disappears off of the DVD drive icon and the "Recording" tab in the drive's properties is Empty/Blank, when before the Burn, it properly showed the DVD E-Drive as being the drive for recording DVD's/CD's.

In order to avoid a burning error for the next project, I must restart the computer.

This does not happen if I manually eject the DVD using the button on the P.C., or the "Eject" command in Windows Explorer. Only when I press "OK" after a successful burn.

Since this problem just started about 45 days ago, I'm tempted to believe that somehow, something has changed in Windows-7, due to one of the automatic updates. But then again, there are many Windows-7 users in this forum and I see no other reported incidences. I have removed PD9, cleaned the registry, reinstalled PD-9, applied each patch sequentially, and yet this issue remains.

OK... after all that, here is the question. What is happening within Windows when you press the "OK" button that ejects the DVD after a successful burn? How is PD9 Communicating with Windows-7? Java, Script, etc..?? Anyone know? It's hard for me to search for a solution on the internet if I can't use the appropriate terms. Thanks in advance for any assistance or guidance offered.

Bumfuzzled in Chicago,

-Allen

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
It may be that Winows 7 now see the DVD in the drive as a movie and disables recording to it. I know a couple of times I have had to change the write option on one of my drives. Also you would have to change an option to 'Play" for that drive.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jim.. Thanks for the quick response. The DVD Drive goes missing as a Recordable drive from the "Burning" tab of the drive's properties immediately after the successfully burned DVD is ejected by Power Director after I press the "OK" button. The moment the DVD is ejected, there's nothing in the drive for Windows-7 to "see". This is darn puzzling because this problem never occured with PD8 or with PD9 until mid-February of this year.

Thankfully, all I have to do is restart the computer to get the DVD drive back as recordable. But it's puzzling as to why it started having this problem out of the blue 45 (or so) days ago. Have a great upcoming week Jim!

-Allen
AllenChicago [Avatar]
[Post New]
Can anyone recommend a good "computer user help forum", similar to this PD-9 Help Forum? This issue with PD9's disc ejection dialogue causing my DVD-Drive to become read-only is driving me up the wall. Thanks for any guidance.
-Allen
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Your particular computer may have a "user lounge" somewhere. The DVD drive may also havce forum support.
What type of machine are you using? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
AllenChicago [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Barry. Yes, there is an HP forum, but the people who answer the questions are official HP techs who give "canned" answers. I also found a couple of forums where you could ask an "expert" for a price. Think I'll go to the HP forum, because it will be hard for them to give canned answer to this type of issue...I hope! I have a Pavillion e9220y purchased in Jan 2010. The DVD Drive is branded as HP, but it uses a driver from Microsoft, dtd 2006. Anyway, the DVD Drive isn't the problem I don't think. There's something corrupt within the mechanism that ejects the DVD when pressing the "OK" button in PD9 after a successful/unsuccessful burn.

Thanks for responding and pointing me in the right direction Barry!

Appreciatively,
-Allen

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 07. 2011 23:36

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
No personal experience but "similar" (but maybe not the same ??) issues have been solved with :-

from another Win7 forum
"Changing the power plan to high performance worked for me too . A little further investigation narrowed it down to a setting inside the Power Options > Advanced. Under PCI Express, there's a thing called "Link State Power Management " which was enabled (and set to maximum power saving) in my "Balanced" power mode. TURN IT OFF!!!! It was definitely the cause of my problem. I could not reinstall the cdrom drivers using the tsdnwin.exe utility provided (Dell) because the utility stopped working when the drive decided to go to sleep. Very frustrating! My thanks to those before me who posted their investigations. Saved me from being the owner of a brutally smashed up laptop."

Can't see why it would work but might be worth a try?

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.