Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Moving/drag a clip between 2 adjacent clips.
Dave212321 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 15, 2011 09:16 Messages: 125 Offline
[Post New]
I want to move/drag a vidoe clip between 2 other adjacent clips. When I do this I get Insert/overwrite prompt. Sometimes when I choose insert, the clip actually splits one of the adjacent clips.

How can I precisely tell the program, where to insert the clip that is selected. It seems to be trial and error.

Do I have to remove it from the time line altogether, position the timeline cursor, and then reinsert it to where the cursor is ?
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Dave,

Select either the clip before or after where you want to insert. Press the end or home key depending on which clip you have selected. Now the insertion point is at the end/beginning of the clip. When you insert here it should work correctly.

Hal OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
Dave212321 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 15, 2011 09:16 Messages: 125 Offline
[Post New]
That works for when inserting from the library and quite well I must say.

I have the hunch you just can't then drag a clip from one part of the timeline and insert it easily between two clips. The clip really needs to come directly from the library.

That's no biggie.

Thanks as that tip helps a lot and saves me from trying to position the cursor exactly by freehand.
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dave,

The reason you are having the problem is that the clip you are trying to insert is larger than the space into which you want to put it.

If the space must stay the same size, and the others cannot change size or move, place the new clip in a track below (or above) the track which contains the space.

If you want to place the clip in the space, you must either enlarge the space or trim the space to fit. That is done by overwriting part of the clips adjacent to the space or by inserting it.

Actually, it doesn't matter if there is any space for the new clip or not. Even if you are inserting over a solid clip, PD9 will do it for you. If you overwrite, none of the other clips move over to make room, but an amount of media equal to the new clip will be removed. If you insert, everything moves over to make room.

If you opt to move everything one way or another to make plenty of room for the new clip, after doing so, you can right click on the remaining gap and choose "remove and close gap" from the menu, and PD9 will do so.

There are more interesting aspects to this, but that should get you into the swing of it. By the way, Hal gave You good advice too.

Pax

P.S. It doesn't matter whether the clip comes from the library or not.

P

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 02. 2011 11:17

Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5