Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Few big VO's or many small VO's ???
Dave212321 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 15, 2011 09:16 Messages: 125 Offline
[Post New]
For some reason my Wav voice overs sounded horrible with lots of noise so I post processed all 30+ of them to remove noise. That was a lot of work. But after a break and a reeboot, for some reason all the bad WAV's sounded good again. I can't figure that out; so I did all that work for nothing.

But this brings up a question. [b]Would it be easier and more efficient for processing speed if I made a few large voice overs with all the voice content spaced that would allow me to split the voice over into individual VO's while in PD9 instead of making lots of separate VO's ?[/b]

I'm thinking that if ever post processing (noise reduction or volume control) is needed, I will only have to process a few files and not 30+ like I did yesterday.

I have an older soundblaster FI Xtreme gamer and actually use a USB mic for voice overs. There are so many driver and setting present in my voice controls; I would not know what I may have changed to get my recorded WAV file voice quality restored after a reboot.

Funny as my music MP3's sounded fine no matter what so I thought it was the WAV files that were bad.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Apr 01. 2011 08:40

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dave,

What setting/profile are you opting for in Voice Over?

Please see the attached image.

Thanks
Dafydd

[Thumb - sduk2010-pd412.png]
 Filename
sduk2010-pd412.png
[Disk]
 Description
Voice over profile.
 Filesize
52 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
248 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 01. 2011 10:24

Dave212321 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 15, 2011 09:16 Messages: 125 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the prompt reply

Well I do my voice overs with a separate program called Total Recorder.

I now use the MP3 setting in the attachment provided.
I wonder if I should be using a diff setting and that's why I made that a separate post. It seems now the WAV files are OK for some reason. Some Elves came in and fixed them while I was away.

This lets me manage my files better in terms of naming them, putting them in my voice directory for that project, and then processing them if needed.

I guess my main question is:

[b]I'm wondering if I should be doing one big narration and splitting it in PD9 and then aligning it with the video rather than doing lots of small voice overs then shuffling them about to align them with the video.[/b]

I'm not crazy about the PD9 voice recorder as I seem to have no control over the file names and it seems to need a video in the track for the recorder to work.

I do a lot of do overs and PD9 puts them all into the library and I have to go back and get rid of the ones I don't want while with TR I simply choose not to save if I feel the VO wasn't good.

I like writing my script in powerpoint then doing all the voice overs with specific names and then importing them into the libray when needed.
For instance I had 10 VO's for the woodfrog segment and as I add the video segment I line up to VO's all named in a similar fashion.

I wish PD9 would let me assign a few diff folders for specific file types rather than trying to force everything in the Export folder and into the library immediately.

I am big on file management and organization of files.

I have voice, video, sound, photos all in diff folders. And under main folders RAW MMEDIA and Used MMEDIA.

The goal is for when I am done, I have no unused files in the project directories and I can copy all the projects files to a DVD for future edits and safe keeping and easy access.
[Thumb - snap-1.jpg]
 Filename
snap-1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
73 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
95 time(s)

This message was edited 8 times. Last update was at Apr 01. 2011 11:10

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dave,
Style... yep which to adopt. I have to agree with your sentiments on the problems using PD.

I don't think I can add a lot to what you've written already.

Thanks
Dafydd