Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD9 - How to do this "stutter" video effect?
Dilbert36 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 03, 2011 14:18 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I have seen this effect done recently on many music videos. It is kind of hard to describe, but I like to call it...a video "stutter" where the object in the video seems to stutter back and forth quickly for a few seconds, like a robot short circuiting.

Is there an easy (or not so easy) way to accomplish it in PD9. Forgive me but I am fairly new to PD9 and am still learning. I thought I would ask before trying, but my initial hunch would be to make several quick splits in the video clip and duplicate each one and then reverse every other clip. I would appreciate any other suggestions. Attached is a short sample clip of the effect I am trying to reproduce
 Filename
Stutter Video Effect.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
example "stutter" video effect
 Filesize
7468 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
764 time(s)
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Split the clip where you want the stutter to start. Click the clip to highlight it. Right-click and select copy. Paste it into the timeline several time. Using Power tools, reverse every other clip. For a fast stutter like the sample, the clip only needs to be a few frames long (5 to 10, maybe). You will have to experiment to get the effect that you want. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Jaime...

Your idea works pretty good.

Filename
stutter.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
766 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1846 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 31. 2011 12:38

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Your sample worked even better than my test. Looks good. If I had a mower like that I could just fly to work. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
I might add that I had to play with the duration for each clip. I think what I ended up with was .04 duration with 5 clips

normal long clip
Clip 1 reverse
Clip 2 normal
Clip 3 reverse
Clip 4 normal
Clip 5 reverse
normal long clip

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 01. 2011 00:14

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Dilbert36 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 03, 2011 14:18 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks all, I tried Jaime-esque's advice...first attempt, I split 3 clips into 10 frames each, copied each clip and pasted right next to the originals. This was way too long for the desired effect, so I tried again with clips of 3 frames each and it came out much better. Here is my logic:
[clip1, clip2, clip3]
copy each clip and paste right next to the original clip like:
[clip1, copy clip1, clip2, copy clip2, clip3, copy clip3]
then I reversed the copied clips like:
[clip1, reverse copy clip1, clip2, reverse copy clip2, clip3, reverse copy clip3]
and then for the final touch, I copied clip3 again and put it at the end so it gives a smoother transition to the next long clip like:
[clip1, reverse copy clip1, clip2, reverse copy clip2, clip3, reverse copy clip3, copy clip3 again]

attached is my final sample test with both 10 and 3 frame clip stutters. I am very pleased with the outcome of the 3 frame clips...

Thanks all!
 Filename
stutter test2.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
38253 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
427 time(s)