Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SELF-HELP: DIAGNOSTIC BOOT AS PROBLEM IDENTIFIER
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
CONFLICT PROBLEMS
A number of problems experienced may be due to conflicts. Cyberlink software makes a 'call' to a 3rd party element, such as a codec or a run-time library, and the call can be deflected due to some other program. This can lead to any sort of malfunction you like to imagine.

RUNNING A PROGRAM IN DIAGNOSTIC BOOT - EXPLANATION
Stage 1: By using the ‘Diagnostic Boot’ for your system, you can run your program alone, with any conflicting program, or its services, NOT loaded. This applies to programs and services (groups of tasks which programs may 'call' to be done). Your program may then ask to load some service, and you can allow it to do so in the knowledge that there will be no competition or replacement.
Stage 2: If running in DB removes the problem, you now have to set about the procedure for identifying what other program is giving the conflict problem, and what to do about it.

RUNNING A PROGRAM IN DIAGNOSTIC BOOT - PROCEDURE
  • Click on the Windows Program Start button (bottom left hand corner) and in the box ‘Search Programs and Files’, type MSCONFIG. This will bring up the ‘System Configuration’ program.

• On the General Tab, either Normal Startup or Selective Startup will be enabled. In the event that Selective Startup is enabled, it is preferable to follow the simple steps in ** below.

• Enable the Diagnostic Startup radio button.

• Close the System Configuration program and reboot your system.

• In the Diagnostic Startup booted system, run your defective program.

• If the problem persists, then it is unlikely to be a conflict problem, and you can restore your system to Normal or Selective Startup, as it was before. You do this by using MSCONFIG and changing the boot configuration to how it was before.

• If the problem is removed, you need to go back into System Configurator and, using ‘Selective Startup’, progressively re-enable the Services and Startup items. This is best done using a half-and-half adding technique, enabling half of all services, then, if still OK, half of the other half, etc. Once the problem returns you should use the half and half technique to remove services, until you identify the offending service. The same applies to the Startup tab after the Services. This may sound complicated, but actually is very simple.

• Denbigh

**In the case that Selective Startup had previously been enabled, then some startup items have already been disabled, and you do not want them to come back (things like Skype or such...) so you will need to go into the Services and Startup tabs and make a note of any services or programs ALREADY disabled (only the disabled, as they will be the minority). At the end of the day, you don't want to reload any unwanted stuff.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Apr 29. 2011 06:09

i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
    All vodi
    Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
    [Post New]
    This is too dangerous in a newbie's hands. It's can discourage the average consumer user from using PD9 when it should not.

The average user of a CONSUMER oriented application such as PD9 should not be required to get into Windows' start-up routines in order to de-bug or run their application.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 29. 2011 20:34

Win 10, i7
    SeptimusFry
    Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
    [Post New]
    That comment is nonsense. It is non-destructive and effective. The suggestions here for uninstalling this and that, sucking your thumb and closing your eyes whilst you stick in a pin - that is the dangerous way.

The day you find me saying: "type REDEDIT into the little box and then search for... and then edit it like this..." is the day you can suggest that I am inciting newbies to do something dangerous.

i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
    Michelle70 [Avatar]
    Newbie Joined: Mar 20, 2011 09:13 Messages: 5 Offline
    [Post New]
    I will try this, since Cyberlink's Customer Support has yet to even bother giving me the courtesy of a response to my requests for support (program crashes on start up). Cheers!
    SeptimusFry
    [Post New]
    Make sure you have read my notes carefully. There are two cases, where someone has already played with MSCONFIG before, and when it is virginall. Just follow the appropriate notes. This procedure is totally safe, and can do no harm, as it changes nothing irreversibly. It is one of the most powerful methods for elimination of a class of problems.

Good luck. i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
    Dafydd B [Avatar]
    Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
    [Post New]
    Post thread link on: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/15082.page#86265