Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Requirements to install a Upgrade Version of PowerDirector?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I have looked on the Cyberlink website for the answer, No Joy.

My question is must I have a previous version of PowerDirector installed on my computer to install a new version of PD, IE, PowerDirector 9 upgrade from Powerdirector 8.

Must PowerDirector 8 be on the computer before running the PowerDirector 9 Upgrade install?

In my experience of installing most software, if you buy the Upgrade version, you are always required to have the previous version of that software on your computer or at least have the previous version install CD.

My question is because, if upgrades require a previous version installed, I would rather buy a full Version.

It is much easier to do installs from a Clean System.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 04. 2011 12:13

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Carl:

I "appropriated" the following response for Hedit to another user in this forum.

"OK. That's a major problem. PD9 should at least load.

- I suggest removing PD9 using Win 7's control panel.
- Restart your PC after PD9 is removed.
- Ensure that no other versions of PD exist on your PC.
- Because you purchased an upgrade you'll have to re-install PD8, but only the main program. The contents portion is not needed.
- Once PD8 is running, you then install the PD9 "upgrade" and follow the instructions.
"

Hedit is one of the pros here (I am just a newbie). From what he says, you will have to have PD8 running on your computer before you can upgrade to PD9.

Have a great day, and thanks to Hedit!

Regards,
-Phil

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for the reply.

That is the usual case for upgrade software, you must have the previous version installed. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I could be wrong, but I believe it makes you uninstall previous versions before you can install the new version. I think I removed PD8 first, but I also had the PD9 beta, so that may have made a difference. Installing updates to the same version does require an installed program unless you can get a full install for the update. Wait for other responses before you follow my advice. That's just the way I remember it from several months ago. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
bobl [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Wisconsin, USA Joined: Aug 26, 2010 16:49 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
When I installed PD9, I did not uninstall PD8 first. The PD9 install program uninstalled PD8. Pd9 is working just fine for the things I do. Bob