Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
A black and white me on a colour background
bennyboy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 26, 2011 05:01 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi i'm trying to create a video with a black and white me on a colour background.

The problem: I'm using a green screen and chromo key so that the video only shows me against the background. When I add an effect, e.g. black and white to myself, it also brings back the green screen (since the colour has changed).

Are there any ideas/work arounds on how I can resolve this?

Thanks for your help in advance
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi bennyboy,

Chroma Keying is certainly one option to achieve the effect you describe. You might also try using the Replace Color effect in the Effects Room.
It can yield some pretty good results under the right circumstances, though it may require you to make a few separate passes and a bit of experimentation to get all the color out.

A low res example of various B&W to Color combinations that can be achieved using the Replace Color effect, can be seen here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhXkchn1bic

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
While Cranstons video changed the blue suit to black it doesnt answer your question.

Restated, you want a greyscale of you - your eyes, hair etc on a colored scene.
If you need to move around, this technique below wont work either, You need to stand still while recording the video.

What it needs is multistage matting and also the color of you removed by B&W effect or you can simply reduce the saturation to zero.

see attached pic for the steps required. The effect you want is done commercially using live video via mixing desks with chrom done at signal level on multiple signals. PD can only chroma once hence the problem you saw and needs two or three stage processing to get the result.
[Thumb - greenie.jpg]
 Filename
greenie.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
78 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
207 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 26. 2011 07:14

If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe I mis-read the question. Sorry Ron.

But there are 3 different scenarios shown in the linked example. And in the third scenario at 00:21, the whole character’s hair, eyes, skin, and attire, are all changed/modified to display in B&W, while the scene around the character is in color. I thought that’s what bennyboy asked for when he titled his thread...
"A Black And White Me On A Color Background".

(And no, no I didn’t bother to take the time to remove the little bit of color from the short little piece of rope, or the small bottle on the hip. Though it would have been possible.)

But please submit a sample of the mask technique Ron. I always love to learn new tricks. I can even send you the same footage if you like, so a true comparison of the different possible techniques can be shown.

Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,
I just tried out what I said and found an easier way.

Shoot the video on a green screen, of yourself.

Place a white color board on timeline 1 and the video of youself on timeline 2

Do a chromakey for green and now you have youself in color on a white background. Produce the video.

Next start again with a video of a street scene on timeline 1 and your new video on timeline 2
do a chroma key for white and the color you appears on the scene.
Now reduce the saturation of timeline 2 to zero and voila, you are now greyscale and the backdrop scene is color and can be a movie or a picture. No matting required and you can move around if you wish.

The secret is the white background whih remains white evn when you reduce the saturation.

Wish I had tried it first instead of my earlier response.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 26. 2011 07:56

Cranston
[Post New]
Hi Ron,

But how would you do it to existing video where the character (diver) wasn't shot against a green screen? Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Videocentricity
[Post New]
You would do it your way, Cranston.

Honest truth I never tried your method before. Any time I do trick photography I was puting the subject into a new backround image or video.

Gosh its fun isnt it?
Cranston
[Post New]
The Defense rests.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 26. 2011 09:14