Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transitions not working at all
barnowl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 24, 2011 04:49 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I am new to PD9 having just purchased the Deluxe version, but have used PD5.

PD9 seems to be working fine except when I try to drag and drop a transition between 2 clips (these are clips I have separated using the Split function). When I try to drop a (any) transition onto the Timeline at the split, the cursor changes to a No Entry icon.

I have asked Cyberlink Support if I am doing something wrong, and their reply is that PD9 Deluxe does not support this function; quote "In regards to this concern,we regret to inform you that you will not be able to add the transitions between clips as the feature is not supported." "If you wish to add the transitions in between a clip, you can use the colorboards instead of titles as you will be able to insert the transitions in colorboard."

Apart from the fact that this, especially the second bit, makes little sense to me, having looked at various threads on this forum, I can see no mention of Transitions not being a supported feature - everybody else seems to be able to use them despite some moans.

Can anybody advise? PD9 Deluxe
Windows XP Pro SP3
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 2GB RAM
twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
Works for me. Click on the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuAxnlzkwI8 Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Cameras. Panasonic AG-HMC40, GoPro Hero 3 Black
Edition.
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Hmmmmm....

I do not normally split videos, but I tried several and had no problems splitting and putting in transitions anywhere.

Does this happen with any video file you try to split and add a transition to?

Filename
ScreenCapture_2-24-2011 7.11.36 AM.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3776 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1110 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 24. 2011 10:30

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi barnowl,

Unless I'm totally misreading your customer support answer, here’s what’s I think is going on for you. It’s happened to me as well.
If you notice, the timelines are in effect split into two parts. The video and audio track. If you drag a transition down into a timeline at a Split, and your cursor slips down too low (into the audio track), you may get the “Verboten/No Entry” sign.
If you start over and drag it to the upper half (into the video track) between the Split, the transition will stick. It will then jump to the default Overlap option, But just right click on it to choose “switch” to a Cross transition. But Color boards have nothing to do with it!

I’ve always been a big fan and supporter of Cyberlink. But the answer you received from Cyberlink Support is utterly ridiculous! It’s totally unacceptable for such lunacy to be distributed by the official Support arm of a multinational corporation.
I hope our moderator takes note of your post and contacts the head of customer support regarding this answer you received. Transitions can indeed be applied between any Split without the need to introduce a color board.

Us member’s, as well as our Moderator, often refer posters to Cyberlink Support for some matters that fall out of the realm of we can help with. But how can I or anyone in good conscious refer another fellow member to Cyberlink Support, if such idiocy is the result of a good faith inquiry to Support?

If I'm misreading something here, well, then I appologize in advance.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 24. 2011 10:43

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Barnowl,
Please copy and paste the full content of the question posed, the answer and the support ID. thanks
Dafydd
barnowl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here's the question and answer to/from Cyberlink Support:

Question:
I have recently purchased the above software. Everything seems to work except that I cannot load transitions onto the timeline (between clips) - I keep getting a "no entry" sign when I drag the icon onto the timeline. Am I doing something wrong?

Customer Support Response 2011/02/23 12:15

Dear Robert,

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.

I understand your concern related with applying transitions in PowerDirector software.

In regards to this concern,we regret to inform you that you will not be able to add the transitions between clips as the feature is not supported.

Also, note that transitions can be only applied on the starting and ending position of the clips/images.

If you wish to add the transitions in between a clip, you can use the colorboards instead of titles as you will be able to insert the transitions in colorboard.

Please follow the steps :

1. Launch PowerDirector.
2. Go to View -> Media -> Color Boards
3. Select the color of your choice and drag it to the Time line.
4. Select Text Effect and place it in the time line just below the color board.
5. Import video. File -> import -> media files.
6. Add a video after color board in the time line.

Also note that you will be able to add the colorboard in between the videos, however you will not be able to add the titles between the video clips.

For quick and fast response, please use the below mentioned link to reply us:

http://www.CyberLink.com/english/cs/support/form/index.jsp

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products.

Thank You and Best Regards

Kuber
CyberLink Technical Support
PD9 Deluxe
Windows XP Pro SP3
barnowl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry, I didn't include the ID - here it is:

Ticket ID: CS000982567 PD9 Deluxe
Windows XP Pro SP3
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Robert,
Thank you for the information.
I have contacted CL to check why this answer was given.
My reference item 171.
Dafydd
barnowl [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have just tried the solution / explanation posted by Cranston on a newly split AVI file, and blow me it works perfectly! Such a simple answer and basic slip-up on my part. Smacked hand for me.

Could you please just clarify a small point (which again might just be my lack of knowledge). When I inserted the Fade transition, it produced a little box in the video track only. When I did the same thing with the Cross transition, the box extended down into the Audio track. Does this signify anything?

Pity Cyberlink Support doesn't seem to have been as on the ball as this Forum's members. Thanks again Cranston. : PD9 Deluxe
Windows XP Pro SP3
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Because there is a difference in the way the transition works. The one on the middle is a cross fade. The one where the transition is next to the edge is a overlap. Just play with them and you will see the difference. Practice with the actual "fade" transition and it will be more noticeable.

Also where the transition also drops into the audio track.... on the overlap, it is also transitioning the audio. __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Dickflyfisherman [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: May 29, 2008 09:34 Messages: 197 Offline
[Post New]
Dafyffdd must have the patience of multitudes

Seeing the posts on PD9 issues....... Dafydd I really think you should demand a new contract with Cyberlink with a greatly increased compensation package
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
barnowl wrote:
When I did the same thing with the Cross transition, the box extended down into the Audio track. Does this signify anything?

Hi barnowl,

Bubba pretty much hit the nail on the head in his reply.
As far as signifying anything, it’s just what many here affectionately refer to as another one of PD9’s “little quirks”. And yes, these little quirks were reported ad nauseam during beta testing. However some quirks seem to have gone unaddressed and are still there. Perhaps a design decision on CL’s part?
Make of it all what you will. Some members have a "slightly" different take on it all.

So some user just try to adapt and forge ahead with workarounds to overcome some of these little quirks that weren’t present in previous versions of PD, and hope for corrective measures in the form of future update patches or builds. For me it’s worth it, what with all the new great stuff that PD9 has to offer over previous versions.
But short of abandoning PD9 and rolling back to PD8, that’s about all one can do.

As far as when say a fade transition also fades the audio, well, one always has the option to manually fade any audio in the Audio Mixing room, or directly in the audio track at the wave forms.
You can still get there from here. It’s just that the journey is sometimes a bit longer in PD9.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 24. 2011 20:33

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
barnowl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks again guys for all your help and tips. PD9 Deluxe
Windows XP Pro SP3
Dickflyfisherman [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: May 29, 2008 09:34 Messages: 197 Offline
[Post New]
there again it would be simple for a smart software guy to build in pop-ups explaining possibly the five top reasons for any problem

Now if the software guys are the same as they were 20 years ago they will try to BS you into thinking what a hard issue that is to fix, they would take a week and charge 3000 to fix it, when it only took them tops 5 minutes
Andres.R
Senior Member Location: Tartu, Estonia Joined: Dec 31, 2009 02:26 Messages: 263 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I have had similar problem, but always is "quilty" small (less than second) clip, which you normally wont notice and should be delete. Only when you stretch timeline out you see it and it doesnt let me add any transition...

PowerDirector 17. Windows 10
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz); Hard Disk: SSD 250Gb + SSD 500GB.

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AndresRootsi
Notanakin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2008 09:10 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I had the same problem as barnowl just trying to get the transition to "take". Even worse, I had not only a "vertical" problem (wrong timeline track), but I also had a "horizontal" problem. It seems that PD9 also wants you to be very precise about selecting the exact point between two clips.

I wanted to put the transition between two very long clips and because of the timeline scale, hitting the correct horizontal position was impossible. I only realised the horizontal position was critical when I saw a very brief flash of something between the two clips as I was cursing and moving the mouse, trying for the umpteenth time to add a transition. By zooming in a lot I finally managed to nail the right position and insert the transition. Surely the only place I'm likely to want to put a transition is between two clips. Why do I have to be just about pixel perfect with my positioning to do this?

Why, oh why, does PD seem to make life more difficult with each new version? It seems there's a rush to embrace new technology and be "in" with things like YouTube, but the stuff that works well is sadly not appreciated in the rush. And stuff that REALLY needs to be fixed is not. Like why do I still have to type in a space in the My Video box in the Menu when all I want to do is delete it? But some credit is due: at least the music on the Chapter Menus can finally be removed.

OK, rant over. Thanks to Cranston for helping me retain my remaining hair.