Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio out of sync after producing
Euphonic1 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sandy, Utah Joined: Jan 30, 2011 15:36 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
hi,
i am new to powerdirector and video editing as a whole, although i am an audio engineer so i have an extensive background in audio editing.
i am also a guitar instructor and have been making some small videos of the students to put on youtube, facebook, etc. i usually just add a logo, some titles and edit the audio a bit in the wave editor. i am using a simple kodak Zi8 camera with an external microphone for the audio. the camera records in .MOV files.
the problem i am having is that once i produce, usually to a MP4 or WMA file, the audio and video are out of sync with the audio lagging behind the video. it seems more pronounced on the WMA files. is there anything i can do to fix this? i am generally using Win7 64 on my laptop.

cheers,
dean Intel i3 330M, 4GB ram, intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD
[Post New]
I had this problem with PD8 when using transitions. I overcame the problem by rightclicking on the the video file in the timeline and "splitting" the audio from the video. The audio then drops down to the "voice" timeline and they are back in sync. Land of fieros, North Dakota USA
Dbl10s [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 01, 2011 17:03 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
I am not new to PowerDirector and have made many DVD's using various video editing software. I used previous version of PD years ago.

When using PD 9 Trial, I produced a DVD (Mpeg-4) and the audio was out of sync with the video. However, my audio is earlier than the video. It happened halfway through the finished product making all clips afterward, out of sync.

In my actual timeline, when I view the clip, audio is synced correctly with video. Should I also unlink the video and audio even though they are synced in the preview and then link them again?

It seems that somewhere in production process, the audio and video were unlinked, even though I locked the tracks before I started to produce it. Is anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions for the fix?
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Could all the 3 of you check to see if you have "Shadow" files enabled in the preferences General section (second box) ? If you do, deselect it and try again.

Also, in the production window disable Hardware acceleration if PD9 is selecting it.

The production will take longer in both instances. Win 10, i7
Dbl10s [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your fast reply.

I disabled the Hardware acceleration. I cannot find anything in the General section that has to do with Shadow files. Can you explain again where to find that?
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
The "Shadow" files enabled in the preferences General section (second box, Shadow in brackets= Enable HD Video). Win 10, i7
Dbl10s [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just disabled both the shadow files and the hardware acceleration on the Preferences. I then produced MPEG-2 version. I created/ burned the DVD and just watched it. The audio is still out of sync with the video. Can you think of any other reason why it is producing out of sync and the remedy to correct it. Appreciate if anyone might be able to help with this.
All vodi
[Post New]
Does the sync problem show up in the produced video file AND the burned DVD or just on the DVD ? Win 10, i7
Dbl10s [Avatar]
[Post New]
After I produced the video, I went back to edit to check the accuracy and the produced files runs well and synced. It is only on the DVD that the audio does not sync with the video. That is why I cannot correct it in the edit portion because everything seems accurate there.
All vodi
[Post New]
PD9's burner can sometimes do what it's not asked to. A way around is a 2 step process. First burn your DVD to a folder (available on the burn page). Then using a third party burner such as ImgBurn burn your DVD. If the result is OK then we know that PD9 is the issue. Win 10, i7
Dbl10s [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am sorry I am not sure what you mean by 3rd party burner such as ImgBurn. Do you mean someone else's DVD burner?

I did burn to folder, so I need to transfer the file to someone else's computer and then burn it there? They also need the PD9 software, correct? Please explain.
All vodi
[Post New]
If you play the video file in the folder is the audio and video in sync ?
Are you using any menu ?

You can also open a NEW project : in Create Disc use "Import Video" (button on top left) which is your GOOD video that you've verified before and use it to burn to disc. This way you are using your previously produced file.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 03. 2011 17:42

Win 10, i7
Dbl10s [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good suggestion but I just checked all 4 of my produced videos: 2 MPEG-4 files and 2 MPEG-2 files and found out they are all out of sync. So... I cannot use them to burn yet another out of sync DVD.

Although I created chapters, I decided NOT to use Menus since I did not like the menus available and could not import background colors to create my own menu pages. So my video plays automatically when inserted into DVD players.

The version that seem to play smoothly is in the original edit file format, before I produce it. The transitional titles, audio and video all run smoothly. Once I produce it, the audio and video are out of sync. I just can't understand why this would happen. I have never had this problem and I have used other video editing programs and created about 5 long family videos.

This time I did use more transitional titles that have movement and fade in text for the separations. They all run smoothly but do you think these may be the cause of the audio running earlier than the video. If I delete these titles or change them to background colors with plain text, do you think the audio and video may stay in sync?

I guess that is worth a try but it makes the DVD very bland and downgrades the version to old school! Any other suggestions?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dbl10s,
I'll jump in here and ask for some info.
1. Please provide a screenshot of the Edit Workspace showing your project clearly.
2. Please provide a diagnostic of your system.

I'm interested in knowing what video files you are using, what actions you are carrying out and what have you done to isolate the point of out of sync event? I'm presuming you have noted where this has happened in the timeline from viewing the DVD.

Andy has rightly attempted to get you to carry out specific changes and tests.

Guide info below.

thanks

Dafydd
Dbl10s [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for jumping in there, any help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry but I do not understand what a screen shot of my Edit workspace is. I can tell you I have 2 VOB files /MPEG-2 , about 120 jpeg images, and have 2 audio tracks (m4a) in use that overlay the only video/audio track. The DVD lasts 32 mins long. There are active Titles that have various effects on them but fade out as the titles page does.
Does this help?

The audio and video appear to occur about 2/3 way into the production. So I am assuming that something happens at that point.

I am using a Vista OS. You do not mention that in your write up of creating a Diagnostic File. Is it closer to Win7 or does it have it's own instructions on how to create a diagnostic file? Vista OS is always seems to have separate problems.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
OK,
Please read the guide again and note: 3. Please can you attach a screen shot of your Edit workspace, showing the content, make up of the library, all media tracks and with individual file extensions clearly readable? PART F.

Please remove the m4a audio file formats and convert/replace them to either wav or mp3.

Localise the issue more and provide a screenshot please - it's an image of your screen.

Closer to win7.

Please note: Vista OS is riddled with problems for video editors.

thanks

Dafydd
Dbl10s [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hope this will help. I will try to get the screen shots if it is not too difficult.
 Filename
Dbl10sDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
requested Diagnostic File for Dbl10s
 Filesize
41 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
223 time(s)
Dbl10s [Avatar]
[Post New]
I hope this helps. I will try to figure out Hypersnap to get you the screenshot of Edit workspace. Individual file extensions?
 Filename
Dbl10sDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Directx Diagnostic test for Dbl10s
 Filesize
41 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
250 time(s)
All vodi
[Post New]
Vista and Win7 have a very simple screen capture in the "Accessories" section called "Snipping tool". Win 10, i7
Dbl10s [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is my Screen shot of obscured images, Audio and Video. This has been a real education for me. Learning how to use 2 other software programs just to get this info to you. Thanks for being patient with me.

I have worked on converting the M4a files to WAV and have replaced them on my Edit Workspace. I will produce and check out the results. My timeline will follow.
 Filename
Dbl10sVIDEO Snap10.bmp
[Disk]
 Description
Video clips
 Filesize
1269 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
129 time(s)
 Filename
Dbl10sAUDIOSnap2.bmp
[Disk]