Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Effects Timing on a Clip
[Post New]
Hey guys,

So I haven't been able to figure out how to chronologically space out effects or any visual alterations to a video clip. For instance, I am working on a video with about 10 clips, and there are clips where I want to wait x number of seconds before including that visual change. I knew how to figure this out in version 8, but now i'm lost here with this newest one. I tried experimenting with keyframes, which I figured would solve my issue...but i've tried a lot of things with the keyframes and nothing solved the issue that I am having.

It makes logical sense that this feature is in ver. 9...it's really just where inside the program it can be found.

Advice would be great
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andrew,

I don't use special effects that much in my videos, I have muddled through using key frames but don't find them easy to use.

I would think if you just split the video at the point you want to use the special effect should work.

So the beginning of the clip with no special effect is left alone and the special effect added to the end of the split clip.

I hope that is clear to you. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
[Post New]
ok ill give it a shot. Although wouldn't creating a lot of clips concede to discontinuity, with transitions & all ? Or maybe I'm just getting it without trying it.

I'll report back when I used this approach.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Don't put any transitions in between the split clips. If you have a normal video in the timeline and just put in a split, when you play the video it plays as though there is no split.

So if you have an effect in the second half of the video it should just start the effect at the exact second you need. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
[Post New]
Ok what got it working was to simply drag an effect to the effect bar underneath the audio bar. I put the effect at a certain time, but I want to have multiple effects at the same time, which I presume could be displayed in the effect bar. However, when I drag a second effect over to the same time span as the 1st effect, I am asked to either overwrite and insert the new effect over the older one.

Thus, my problem now is that I can't seem to figure out how to position multiple effects to initiate at the same time or at a random time within the video clip.

Also, I didn't need to split up the video clip to get the effect to start at a certain time within it. Instead I utilized the method that I mentioned earlier in this posting.
Robert2 S
[Post New]
If you want two different effects playing at the same time on the same clip all you have to do is drag the both effects onto the same clip on the timeline.

I just did a test with grid and half tone and in fact I think you can have as many effects as you like on the one clip. I just added fireworks and emboss as well and it plays all of the effects at the same time on the one clip.

Cheers

Robert2 S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guys,

7 different effects is the maximum that can be placed "in" the clip/image track. Plus 1 additional effect that can also be placed in the Effects track, yielding you a total of 8 possible effects for any one particular clip/image, each with it's own independent Key Frame control for timing and fade control (where applicable). Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
[Post New]
I'm aware of putting multiple effects simultaneously into a clip, all occurring at once. What I tried was adding a single effect to the effect track (below the audio track) based on timing. What I would love to do is, for instance, within 1 clip there is a large car pileup, and so I have the fire effect (in the effect track) begin once the cars crash. Let's say that I wanted either an additional smoke effect to occur either at the same time as the fire effect's position on the timeline, or at an earlier or later timing within the same clip.

I know how to get the 2nd effect to start at the same time as the 1st, if the 1st effect begins at the start of the clip. But in my clip the fire effect happens 8 seconds in, and I really want to have the smoke effect occur either at the same exact time as the fire effect (being midway through the clip, not in the beginning where the car's haven't yet crashed) or slightly later than the fire effect in that 1 clip. It's more than just dragging the additional effects into the visual track, since when I do that they all begin at the same time, which is when the video starts, and end when the clip ends. Is this where keyframes are supposed to come in ?

I hope you understand my particular question...this is really the last inquiry I have about operating the program.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 30. 2011 14:09

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Keyframes are a crucial concept for the creative use of PD. I suggest you view this CyberLink tutorial (by Cranston/SoftDeko media):-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFXaP-EhQZs&feature=player_embedded

and then see if you have any further queries.

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 30. 2011 15:20

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.