Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Running on a second computer
gbainbridge [Avatar]
Newbie Location: United Kingdom Joined: Dec 03, 2010 13:46 Messages: 42 Offline
[Post New]
Having now purchased the full version of PD9, do you know if I can use it on a second computer, namely my laptop, or will I have to buy a second copy?

I have installed it on my laptop, but I'm currently running it in trial mode. It keeps asking to connect to the internet, but I haven't yet risked it yet in case it disables the copy on my desktop.

Incidentally, I've discovered that, much to my surprise, my laptop supports CUDA processing. HD rendering taking only one and a half times real time - amazing!.

Gary.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
You would have to read the EULA to be sure, but I think it is only allowed on one computer at a time, and now requires activation, so it may be hard to sneak it by. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

Welcome to the forum!

I have PD8 and PD9 installed/reinstalled/installed on a couple of computers.

Did you download the program from the website or buy the boxed version?

Either way you should be able to install it on a different machine.

I downloaded PD9 and used the save function to save the PDR9_Ultra64 file and the Cyberlink 1519 content pack file to my hard drive. I then open the PDR9 Ultra and install then install the Content pack and then go to the CL website to get the latest patch.

Hope this helps

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

gbainbridge [Avatar]
[Post New]
I downloaded it from the website, but I requested the back-up CD rather than paying for additional downloads. The copy on my desktop was from the download, whereas the copy on my laptop came from the supplied CD. Interestingly, the version on the CD already had the latest update - 2504 iirc.

Gary.
PatC [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Suffolk UK Joined: Nov 17, 2009 14:00 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Hi gbainbridge,

During discussions with others in the past the general concensus seems to be that for
productive programs like wordprocessors, accounts software, etc it is NOT encouraged
that you install on a second machine, however provided both are not being used at the
same time it seems morally acceptable, but perhaps not legally so.

When it comes to Utility Software that perform a function on the PC itself then this
is a different situation and it would seem only fair to purchase a program for each
PC or else a package that allows several PCs to be covered.
(Many utility programs are sold to cover several PCs)
---------------------------

But doesn't this also raise the question of using PD8 on one computer, and PD9 on another
when PD9 was purchased as an Upgrade to PD8 at a discounted price?

For myself, I perhaps bend the law but do not wilfully break it.

PatC
gbainbridge [Avatar]
[Post New]
In that case it's interesting that Adobe allow you to use their expensive software on up to two machines on the basic licence provided that you are not using both at once. Consequently they allow both machines to register the program but not a third, and if you try and register a third you have to de-register one of the other copies.

Does PD9 try and access the internet on every start-up? I wouldn't notice if it did on my desktop as it is permanently connected.

Gary.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 14. 2011 10:09

PatC [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Suffolk UK Joined: Nov 17, 2009 14:00 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Gary,

PD8 certainly did not need internet access to function.

Running PD9 on home PC and as far as I can tell it does not require internet access, but at the
moment I am on a different PC at a completely different location, so unable to check right now.

No doubt someone else will confirm or otherwise advise.....

PatC
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Gary

You can prevent PD9 accessing the internet - I do to stop the annoying ads and telling me to upgrade to a product I already have!

The easiest way is to (I assume you have an anti virus software) open your anti virus ( I use Mcaphee ) and in the allowable programs to access to internet totally block the PDR program both incoming and outgoing.

Hope this helps
Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Markjonesranger
Newbie Location: springfield, missouri Joined: Dec 20, 2010 07:10 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same copy on my desktop and my personal laptop. I don't use them both at the same time using the same program. That would warrant me to buy another version if so.

Both have internet access and both validate and register the software. It's a bonus having it connected up to the internet.

Again if your going to be using it at the same time on both computers you need to pay for it.

Mark Jones
ReadyRangers
http://readyrangers.tzo.com
[Post New]
I do not have a problem running it on more than one computer. Since there's only one of me it's only running on one at a time. You could technically uninstall it on one, and reinstall it on the other, as many times as you like if it makes you feel better. However I doubt the intent of their EULA was to see how many times you are willing to reinstall the software. If you only use one at a time it's the same effect. I know for sure the software does not prevent you from doing so.
pjc3
Senior Member Location: Australia Joined: May 29, 2010 19:33 Messages: 247 Offline
[Post New]
I have it installed twice on separate OS on the same PC, and again it activated fine and both copies run fine. Panasonic SD9, Panasonic TM700, Panasonic SD600, GoPro HD Hero.
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: In that case it's interesting that Adobe allow you to use their expensive software on up to two machines on the basic licence provided that you are not using both at once. Consequently they allow both machines to Gary.

Microsoft does the same thing with their Office suite: one for the office, one for home.

I tried to find the EULA in the PowerDirector program folder, and I didn't find it; all I found were the licenses for Brook+ and for Xerxes-C.

You could also see that they got some of their libraries from ULead.