Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
pd6 crashes...
Debra [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 02, 2007 13:24 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,
I have been using power director since version 3 and have always had problems. The support is marginal, basically you figure it out yourself, and I have learned extreme patience I very recently upgraded to pd6 and it started crashing right away. I have figured out that it is a very touchy software. I have been closely studying all of the postings in this forum and I am so thankful for all your challenges, because it helped me correct my problem. You can not keep your completed movies or video clips stored on the computer you use to make movies, because pd gets overwhelmed fast with it and can't handle it. They all need to be emptied from your trash can as well. Hope this helps!
P.S. Praying hard helps also
Debra
verdolin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 25, 2006 16:02 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Debra,
I am still struggling with PD5 and, from what you say, I am very hesitant to invest more money and time in PD6. My program predictably crashes while trimming clips, especially when using the markers. Everything else seems to be working more or less correctly. However, when trimming, I lose lot's of work because I have to reboot the computer. Did you get any useful response from technical support? Because I sure didn't. Thanks,

Enrico Enrico
jisbister [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 20, 2006 00:14 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
I upgraded from PD5 to PD6 last week. I'm experiencing FAR fewer crashes with PD6 and I find the added benefits of PD6 very much worth the upgrade. I wish I'd upgraded sooner.
Debra [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Enrico,
Support was marginal, they just had me doing the same things that they tell everyone else on this forum. I still have crashes, but much less often. And I save the project as I am working on it every couple of minutes. I have an external hard drive that I keep all my video clips, photographs, etc. to keep power director happy and running. I also scan with Nortons all the time to keep everything perfect. This software is very "highstrung". PD6 is worth it, if you have the patience for it! I have not completed my first movie yet since getting pd6, I hope it will work. Good Luck,
Debra
verdolin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. Unless tech supports comes with a real solution, which I doubt, I'll take up your advice and upgrade to PD6. One question. Did PD6 pick up the project saved under PD5?
Enrico
Debra [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did not even attempt to start a project in my previous version, which was pd4 and carry it over to pd6. I anticipated incompatibility between them and from what I read, it is a distinct possibility. I started a brand new project when I upgraded and ended up deleting all previous projects. I feel better knowing that it is the software that has problems, for the longest time I thought I had a satanically possessed computer
Remember, praying hard helps a bunch!
Debra
Craig [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 29, 2007 09:33 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]

My PD6 crashes all the time -- it's even crashed the computer a few times.

I find support very shaky. They tell you to upgrade your compter, reinstall PD, etc. And then you're back where you started.

This was ranked as the best editing program out there, and if this is the best, what's the worst like?

jisbister [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 20, 2006 00:14 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
I haven't checked them all, but the two PD5 project opened perfectly in PD6. I've seen made some edits to one and successfully burned to DVD.
verdolin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you all for the helpful hints. Enrico
Debra [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey Enrico,
I owe you an apology, I was getting cocky because pd6 was actually working fine for all of a day or two then, poof, it crashed... OK, my computer is almost sterile, it is soooo clean. It has to be the project I am working on currently. I have almost 3 hours of video that I am editing down to an hour or less. PD6 works fine on everthing else, but now I can not open this project anymore, it crashes everytime. I think I need to upgrade to 1g or more memory. I currently have 512 mb. I have done everything else, maybe this will work. I am going to take care of this within the next few days (I am obsessive with my movie making) I will let you know what happens. This is like a reality show We uns may figure this out yet!!
Hang in there all,
Debra
verdolin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Debra,
Take heart. I have 4 G of memory in my computer and, even though I have MS Office and a couple of other programs running on it, the computer is very clean and my movies are about the size of yours. At this point I am unwilling to commit more money to Cyberlink, unless tech support comes back with something useful. I spoke with Ulead and their technical department. They assured me that their program is rock solid and on top of it they have phone support. So after this movie I may switch. Enrico
Nora [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Georgetown, KY Joined: Mar 28, 2007 11:55 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,
I've been having crashing issues sometimes often and othertimes not at all. I've been using PD6 for only a few months but after pulling my hair almost completely out from using other programs, I gotta say, I would so much rather deal with the crashes and perhaps find a work around or how to avoid them in PD. I'm just hoping that it gets better for us all...which would mean they (tech support) would find somewhat of a fix. My computer too is next to sterile, but here are some real band-aid fixes I've had to figure out on my own:

1. When I work with a lot of video...I truthfully have to defrag almost daily.

2. When that box pops up that say somehting like "an unexpected error has occured and PD needs to close" , I just drag it over to the right side of the screen where only a small piece of the title bar can be seen (to be able to drag it back into place) and keep on working...even saving...especially saving. Sometimes I work for 45 minutes like this, but it beats the constant re-booting.

3. I keep my H/D as cleaned off as possible...and as Debra said...keep any un-used video off...because boy is it picky! And the prayers sure haven't hurt.

But over-all, I think PD can do so much more (easier) than any other program I've used. I absolutely HATED Roxio, but I really liked Arcsoft Showbiz DVD (hope I can say this here), but for serious video editing, it's very, very limited. I think it's only for the "cute" videos.

I'm getting ready to post a different kind of crashing problem...concerning the use of audio clips...so don't freak when you see a similar post. I just hope someone has a solution

Thanks to everyone for posting and helping out in my desparate time of need!

Nora