Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Selecting ALL transitions for removal or replacement
[Post New]
Quote: I cannot select all fade transitions on the time-line to remove so that I can apply a different kind of transition to all the clips. If I click the first transition and then shift-click the last transition, all the clips are selected instead of only the transitions. Anyone knows how to do this?

AND Kevin's answer IS:
Quote: a quick answer to your question. While you are editing your project and after you place "apply fade transition to all"...if you then want to try a different transition...first just select the "undo" button at the top of the screen and keep clicking it until it removes the add fade transitions step. So now you should have all your pictures with NO transitions applied to them.

If you then want to see what another transition looks like(this is a little bit harder to do)...say the "Burning" transition applied to ALL. You need to right click the burning transition and add it to your "favorites". Then in the drop-down menu in the transition room...select "favorites"...make sure the burning transition is the ONLY one in your favorites. If you have others in your favorites...right click and remove them. Now with the favorites window open...go over to the "Library Menu" button and select "Apply Random transition to all". This will place the burning transition inbetween ALL the pictures on the timeline. It is a way to trick the "Apply Random"...into using just ONE transition.

Then to try another...simply select the UNDO button to reverse your steps...then add a new transition to your favorites and remove the burning transition and "Apply Random" again.

Great answer Kevin...Thanks!!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 08. 2011 21:32

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Fred....

That was very clever! I must be way too tired to have even thought of starting a topic myself!!

Thank you and Kan54 thanks you!

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
[Post New]
Well, I haven't done much here today, so I had some energy left. Hopefully, KAN54 will find it if he searches!!
KAN54 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2011 15:56 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you FredB.

Kevin, your trick is really clever indeed!

I still do not understand why I cannot shift-click to select ONLY the transitions on the time-line at once. Strangely enough, I can ctrl-click to select multiple transitions, one at a time. It looks like the GUI is only half-done in this case.

If one edits an old project and try to change all the fading transitions from CROSS to OVERLAY for example, the UNDO will not help. In this worst case scenario which I found myself in, there isn't any easy way to accomplish this without very tedious clicking each and every transition on the time-line.

Also, the 2 buttons that apply transitions to the entire track only allow CROSS-type transitions. This just does not make any sense. Even with Kevin's trick, there is really no way to apply OVERLAP fading transition to the entire track at once.

CROSS fading transition simply does not work well with Magic Motion as we all know.
andvar [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Budapest Joined: Aug 10, 2011 10:22 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I would like to correct the Help concerning the possibility of adding transitions to selected multiple clips:

You can add a transition to a single clip, or between two clips, on any of the video tracks in the timeline.

[i]Note: you can add transitions between multiple clips at once by selecting them, clicking (symbol) , and then choosing Apply Random Transition to All or Apply Fading Transition to All.

I tried it, but the transitions were added to all the clips. But if you select and add the transitions in the storyboard view, all things are correct! andvar
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]

Hmm andvar -

In my PD9, whatever view I'm in (timeline or storyboard) Apply Transition to All does exactly that. It makes no difference whether I have clips selected or not.

When I'm in storyboard view (with or without clips selected) & do that
1. the transition is applied to ALL clips
2. the view jumps back to timeline

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
andvar [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Budapest Joined: Aug 10, 2011 10:22 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks ynotfish!

You are right, after a new trial it became evident. So it is impossible to apply a transition type to only some selected clips, one can do it only one by one. andvar