Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 9 "stops working"
IFishGud2010
Newbie Location: Cape Cod, MA Joined: Nov 23, 2010 10:48 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
PD 9 stops working in the middle of my editing session. Thankfully I save often. What's causing this?

I have an i7CPU Q740 1.73GHz, 8 GB RAM, 64 bit OS, and 350GB of free hard drive.
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
What do you mean "stops working"? Crashes? Becomes unresponsive?

Does it happen when you are doing something in particular?

Does it happen with very small projects, or only very big ones?

Where is your video coming from?

The more information you give, the better the responses will be.

See the topic at the top of the forum about the information the experts need.

Good luck. Jerry Schwartz
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
I've reported earlier on another topic that release 2504 (newest) may be more prone to crashes. I do not know why. However, I've had to revert to 2230a for a more stable version. Win 10, i7
IFishGud2010
[Post New]
Quote: What do you mean "stops working"? Crashes? Becomes unresponsive?

Does it happen when you are doing something in particular?

Does it happen with very small projects, or only very big ones?

Where is your video coming from?

The more information you give, the better the responses will be.

See the topic at the top of the forum about the information the experts need.

Good luck.

The problem occurs when I'm editing a project that is about 1 hour and 40 minutes long. Not doing anything in particular, happens at any time.

I get a message saying PD 9 stopped working and the program shuts down.

Not sure about the video question but I use an ATI Radeon HD 5650 display adapter and a Intel 5 series 4 port SATA AHCI controller. Video is on my hard drive.
max0331 [Avatar]
Member Location: Iowa Joined: Dec 29, 2010 13:58 Messages: 52 Offline
[Post New]
I experience the same thing when I downloaded PD9 at first. After lots of trial and error, I realized it was the file type that I was using that would make it freeze and crash. Was using .3pg video which is what my Motorola Droid X records at. Here is a link to that thread. I finally found the solution as stated within the thread.

Just an idea for you to look in to.

-Max

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15074.page
IFishGud2010
[Post New]
Quote: I experience the same thing when I downloaded PD9 at first. After lots of trial and error, I realized it was the file type that I was using that would make it freeze and crash. Was using .3pg video which is what my Motorola Droid X records at. Here is a link to that thread. I finally found the solution as stated within the thread.

Just an idea for you to look in to.

-Max

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15074.page

My files are .VOB....so I don't think this applies, but thanks for trying. I'm going to try backing off my 2054 upgrade.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there,

The problem occurs when I'm editing a project that is about 1 hour and 40 minutes long. Not doing anything in particular, happens at any time.

Just a quick thing you could try. Your project may be pushing the limit in duration. Were you having these issues when you first began your project? I use the same camera and I typically keep my projects shorter in duration....say 15-20 minutes....then assemble them into a Final production. So if I was doing a wedding video it would be in several pieces....Ceremony....Wedding Pictures....Cocktails....Reception....etc....then assembled when each part is complete. I use the same camera and the footage is HD and will tax most sytems when it reaches the duration you have mentioned.

You might try opening your project......Save it with a new name. Then either start another project and then continue on or split your project into smaller parts and save them with unique names...part1, part 2, part3...etc.

The indivudual Project files can then be "merged" into one large project when you are ready to either produce to a video file or Final Disc Production.

Regards,

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
IFishGud2010
[Post New]
Thanks Kevin. I used this approach (from you) before and have put the separate projects together to produce, but then I felt it needed some tweaking so this is where I started having the problem. i may just have to go back and split the file up again.

What version are you using?
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
I am using the latest release 2504....and there has been some reports of it becoming unresponsive. I haven't used it enough yet to get a feel if it is unresponsive because of the build or because of some other factor. So I may be prepared to revert back to an earlier version....I always save a few earlier releases in case I need to "Go Backwards"...that's kind of a funny thing....sometimes a new release can be going backwards too!

Thanks Kevin. I used this approach (from you) before and have put the separate projects together to produce, but then I felt it needed some tweaking so this is where I started having the problem.

Great....it is an approach that works for me....but if your project needs tweaking, that is when I go back to the smaller pieces and tweak them before I assemble. If I do tweak the assembled project like you want to do, I have "at times" gotten the Program is unresponsive...."do you want to close or wait for the program to become responsive?"...."Occasionally" I select "the "Wait" option and it does "occasionally" catch up and I can continue editing. But not always!!

Regards,

Kevin
IFishGud2010
[Post New]
You've been a big help, thanks. I've gone back to 2330a and so far so good. I'll try this for a while and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Fish
KAN54 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2011 15:56 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I cannot select all fade transitions on the time-line to remove so that I can apply a different kind of transition to all the clips. If I click the first transition and then shift-click the last transition, all the clips are selected instead of only the transitions. Anyone knows how to do this?
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Hi Kan,

This is a different off topic question from the original. So it is best that you post it as a new topic so others that are using the search function might be able to find the answer. Otherwise the question and answer to your question will get lost. So post your new topic and I will copy and paste my answer in your new topic.

But a quick answer to your question. While you are editing your project and after you place "apply fade transition to all"...if you then want to try a different transition...first just select the "undo" button at the top of the screen and keep clicking it until it removes the add fade transitions step. So now you should have all your pictures with NO transitions applied to them.

If you then want to see what another transition looks like(this is a little bit harder to do)...say the "Burning" transition applied to ALL. You need to right click the burning transition and add it to your "favorites". Then in the drop-down menu in the transition room...select "favorites"...make sure the burning transition is the ONLY one in your favorites. If you have others in your favorites...right click and remove them. Now with the favorites window open...go over to the "Library Menu" button and select "Apply Random transition to all". This will place the burning transition inbetween ALL the pictures on the timeline. It is a way to trick the "Apply Random"...into using just ONE transition.

Then to try another...simply select the UNDO button to reverse your steps...then add a new transition to your favorites and remove the burning transition and "Apply Random" again.

If you need more clarification...just let us know.

Regards,

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 08. 2011 21:09

[Post New]
I am having problems with PD9 Ultra build 2504 and note that some members state that earlier versions are more stable but I have only just purchased so got 2504 how would I go about getting earlier version?

someone posted that he had gone back to version 8 but the only way to get that version for me would be to download a key gen version which I guess is illegal but I cannot get this version installed 7 days ago to capture.

I run capture and it hangs on Extraction 100%.

I also noted that MPEG4 files are the only option from my MTS files see the spec below?

Read about updating the drivers and done that with Nvidia drivers ?

I can edit and produce small sample MPG files but the software is useless if I cannot use it for extracting/capturing from my Pan HDC700 camera?

the software that came with the Pan camera works ok as does some other capturing software I had called Mate ?

My files are - AVCHD MTS files, 1920x1080, 24 MBS
My Camera is – Panasonic HDC- HS700
My CPU is – Intel 3.4 GHZ
My Video Card is – Nvidia GTX 8800 with latest Drivers 260.99 version
My RAM is – DDR2, 4 sticks totaling 8 Gigs @ 1600 MHZ each
My OS- Windows 7, 64 Bit

PD9 Ultra 64bit install with update 2504 version
My files are - AVCHD MTS files, 1920x1080, 24 MBS
My Camera is – Panasonic HDC- HS700
My CPU is – Intel 3.4 GHZ
My Video Card is – Nvidia GTX 8800 with latest Drivers 260.99 version
My RAM is – DDR2, 4 sticks totaling 8 Gigs @ 1600 MHZ each
My OS- Windows 7, 64 Bit
PD9 Ultra 64bit install with update 2504 version
IFishGud2010
[Post New]
Quote: You've been a big help, thanks. I've gone back to 2330a and so far so good. I'll try this for a while and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Fish

PD9 still "stops working" with version 2330a. Scrreeeaaammmm!!
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
IFishGud2010,

Have you reduced the total duration of your original project down from the original 1 Hour and 40 minutes? Or is it still at this duration?

Kevin
IFishGud2010
[Post New]
Quote: IFishGud2010,

Have you reduced the total duration of your original project down from the original 1 Hour and 40 minutes? Or is it still at this duration?

Kevin

Same duration. I thought I'd try the previous version. I'm going to break the project up.

Thanks.

While I have your attention......can you tell me how to sync an audio and with its video clip? Don't know how they got separated?? If I highlight one, it will highlight the other but they are separate on the timeline.
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
:While I have your attention......can you tell me how to sync an audio and with its video clip? Don't know how they got separated?? If I highlight one, it will highlight the other but they are separate on the timeline.

As far as I know if the audio and video get seperated...you would have had to right click on the clip and then select "unlink objects". To then reattach them again...align them again so they both start at the same time by dragging one or the other....select the video portion...hold down the "Ctrl" key and then highlight(select) the audio portion...then with both now highlighted...right click and select...."Link Objects".

But the question is...how did they become "unlinked"? Or maybe they didn't and you are observing an out of sync prolem for some reason.

Regards,

Kevin
IFishGud2010
[Post New]
I don't know what I did to separate them, but I've been unlinking and moving them back together. A pain.
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: As far as I know if the audio and video get seperated...you would have had to right click on the clip and then select "unlink objects". To then reattach them again...align them again so they both start at the same time by dragging one or the other....select the video portion...hold down the "Ctrl" key and then highlight(select) the audio portion...then with both now highlighted...right click and select...."Link Objects".

But the question is...how did they become "unlinked"? Or maybe they didn't and you are observing an out of sync prolem for some reason.

Regards,

Kevin

I don't remember exactly how it happened, if I ever knew, but I had the audio and video from a bunch of clips (all on the same track) start sliding around on me. I do know I didn't unlink them.

I also know I mentioned this in a different thread. Jerry Schwartz