Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problem with Transparency and Apect Ratio when using PIP and Chroma Key
[Post New]
I have a 4:3 "Jib Jab" Soul Train video that I am inserting into a 16:9 project. I don't want to crop the video as I don't want to lose the top and the bottom, but I don't want boring black bars on the sides either.

My thought was to drop the Soul Train video on to Video Track 2 in its 4:3 aspect ratio (black bars on either side), drop a color board on Video Track 1 and add one of the Grid Transitions to the color board so as to give it motion.

The following 2 problems are occurring:

1) The black bars on the side are actually there. I thought they were transparent areas that appeared when inserting a 4:3 video into a 16:9 project. Shouldn't these black bars be transparent and not solid fill?

2) When I double click on the 4:3 Soul Train clip to take me to the PIP Designer where I can select Chroma Key, the video is stretched from 4:3 to 16:9 -- Not Cropped - STRETCHED. And yes, I do have the "Maintain Aspect Ratio" box checked. Any clip that I apply Chroma Key to is stretched to the 16:9 aspect ratio. When I turn Chroma Key off the clips revert to the correct 4:3 aspect ratio.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
OK,
Use a software called MediaInfo and extract the full property information it provides and place it in a text file - attach the text file as part of your next post.

Screenshot would be good.
Diagnostic would be useful and info on what build your using is assuring.

3 basics below.

thanks

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2011 12:22

[Post New]
OK...here is the MediaInfo output on the file, and 3 screen shots appropriately named.

1) Before applying Chroma Key
2) PIP Designer pop-up window
3) After applying Chroma Key

The 3rd screens shot will be in next post.
[Thumb - Before Chroma Key.png]
 Filename
Before Chroma Key.png
[Disk]
 Description
Before Chroma Key
 Filesize
384 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
172 time(s)
 Filename
Soul Train.txt
[Disk]
 Description
MediaInfo output
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
239 time(s)
[Thumb - PIP Designer - Chroma Key.png]
 Filename
PIP Designer - Chroma Key.png
[Disk]
 Description
PIP Designer pop-up window
 Filesize
242 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
143 time(s)
[Post New]
3rd screen shot...after chroma key
[Thumb - After Chroma Key.png]
 Filename
After Chroma Key.png
[Disk]
 Description
After Chroma Key
 Filesize
419 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
155 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
OK,
I don't have a solution for you - just observations at the moment.

1. the mpeg = mpeg 1 but it isn't
2. Mpeg1 you have doesn't comply with the parameters of a standard mpeg1 file format.
NTSC = 30fps and 320x240
PAL = 25fps and 352x240
3. You have 425x319 and 24fps and a progressive scan type.
3-1. the frame size not only doesn't comply with PD's parameters for an mpeg1 the actual number of pixels are incorrect anyway for a true 4;3 as you must have them set to a divisible and not an odd number.
4. You also have .flv's in the track which aren't necessarily supported by PD.

redo the capture and create an avi and then bring that into PD.

Odd sized non-standard mpeg files for either mpeg1 or 2 are not a good idea and PD's have "thrown a wobbler" if brought in.

Screen capture and save these files to an avi format.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2011 14:09

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Using PD9 Ultra 2504.

I used format factory to mimic your clip from a 640x480.mov file. However, nearest I could get was 426x320, 24 fps, constant bit rate 1150 Kbps.

When imported to the media library, the clip would only play in an "undocked" active movie window, with the regular preview either black or showing the previous clip. See attached.

Although the clip could be placed in the timeline, it would not play at all (audio was fine but no video)

I suspect the issue is with your "non-standard" clip, causing PD to misread the file info and therefore giving erratic results.

Cheers
Adrian
[Thumb - activemovie.PNG]
 Filename
activemovie.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
Undocked active movie window
 Filesize
505 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
152 time(s)
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
[Post New]
Wow...there is so much confusing information when it comes to working with this stuff!

The only way I've been able to bring these Jib Jab videos into PD is as follows:

1) Create the Jib Jab file on line at jibjab.com
2) Download the video - the video downloads as a .mpg file, but PD9 will not accept it (MediaInfo file attached).
3) Upload video to YouTube
4) Download the 360p version of the .flv file from YouTube (MediaInfo file attached).
5) PD9 likes the .flv file enough to work with it.

Filename
JibJab - flv.txt
[Disk]
 Description
YouTube Download
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
333 time(s)
 Filename
JibJab - mpg.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Jib Jab Download
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
218 time(s)
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Try using FormatFactory, which will do batch converting, to convert your files to the nearest "standard" size or format.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
[Post New]
I installed Format Factory and converted a test file. Attached is the MediaInfo output from the file.

It still exhibits very bizarre behavior in PD9.

I manually adjust the aspect ratio in PIP Designer, but the settings will not stick.

Filename
format factory jib jab.txt
[Disk]
 Description
MediInfo Output from Format Factory conversion
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
223 time(s)