Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Crashing When Going Into "Edit Video"
[Post New]
How do I stop PD from crashing EVERY time I go into "Edit Video"? I get the pop-up-"Power Director Has Stopped Working" It happens after I "Apply" the effect/change...like "remove Red Eye". Is this happening to anybody else?

Windows 7 64 bit, i7 980x @333 6 core processor, 12 GB ram DDR 1600, Radeon 5850 GPU Power Director 8 Ultra.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Have you done all of the Driver updates and the latest patch for Powerdirector?

Powerdirector update:
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html

Drivers are the Video Card manufacturer. and sound card manufacturer.

Have you updated Quicktime? Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Yes, I've done all of that.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
3 basics still apply even though you have some of the info in a bye line. Give everything please, see below for what is required.

I'd like to have more info on content and screenshot of both stages please - edit workspace and the PhotoShow display.

I also want more data on the project - details of the item you're attempting to apply the change.

Uninstall reinstall is a basic instruction, which might help.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 07. 2011 05:18

[Post New]
I can't remember how to do the DirectX Diagnostic report?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi EB -

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page Part B

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Thanks!
[Post New]
Here's the DX Diag file of my PC.
 Filename
ElwoodBluesDxDiagJan7.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
326 time(s)
[Post New]
I had some of that info wrong. The problem is happening after I enter the "Enhance/Fix" window.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Elwood,

The other information Dafydd asked about is important.

I also want more data on the project - details of the item you're attempting to apply the change.

I'd like to have more info on content and screenshot of both stages please - edit workspace and the PhotoShow display.

Does it crash if you place some of the sample files(the sample jpgs or nature.mpg) on the timeline and then select the Fix/Enhance button? This would help eliminate the files you are using as the cause...which would confirm that your installation of PD is probably ok. If it crashes with the sample files then I would do the other step that Dafydd suggested:
Uninstall reinstall is a basic instruction, which might help.

regards,

KEvin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 08. 2011 21:16

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
[Post New]
Thanks for all the advice on this one guys. I think the Video Driver update helped. I have noticed something curious; the only track that will bring up the "Fix/Enhance" tab is the clips/effects in the "pip 1" track??
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for all the advice on this one guys. I think the Video Driver update helped. I have noticed something curious; the only track that will bring up the "Fix/Enhance" tab is the clips/effects in the "pip 1" track??

so you mean the Main video Track?...The one at the very top of the timeline? I think that is the only one you can apply the Fix/Enhance tools to. I wish I had access to PD8, so forgive me if I am incorrect.

In PD9, all the tracks can have the Fix/Enhance tools applied....and I can't remember if you could in the PIP tracks of PD8. I am getting old Elwood!! First thing to go is my memory.

But you say the updated video drivers have helped...that's good...but it still isn't right?

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
[Post New]
I think it is fixed. I also think that trying to apply a fix/enhance to a rendered slide show template in the main video track crashes PD.
Kathy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 19, 2010 14:48 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
What has worked for me was to not install any of the PowerDirector 8 updates. I had installed and uninstalled so many times I've lost count. I tried so many different things but nothing would work. This last time I installed it, I just decided to leave the updates off and see how and if it worked. I thought I couldn't be any worse off because it wasn't doing anything but crashing anyway. I have been using for for several days now all day long and it hasn't crashed the first time yet. And before, I would just try it the first time and it would crash. It may be coincidental but it's working and I hope it continues. Just thought I would share it with everyone. Good luck!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Good input Kathy,

With PD8 most of the updates were needed to resolve specific issues.

I found 2704 to be very stable and as I was soon afterwards running PD9 pre-release versions I never got to update to the latest patch.

I think it would be useful for you to add the build version you are using - so members know exactly which and what you're referring to.

Thanks

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 17. 2011 10:15

Kathy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 19, 2010 14:48 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Sure, no problem. I apologize for not mentioning this in my previous post. I am using version 8.00.1930. This is the version that my cd installed and I never updated the first time and it's still working without crashing.
[Post New]
For me Kathy, my previous crashes were from bad memory sticks-AND I had 12GB RAM. That is a HUGE issue with stability.

Windows 7 64 bit, i7 980x @333 6 core processor, 12 GB ram DDR 1600, Radeon 5850 GPU Power Director 8 Ultra.