Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Produce function hangs in PD9 on 2nd use
paulbid [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2010 18:56 Messages: 39 Offline
[Post New]
I'm a new user to PD9, and I'm frustrated with the Produce function. I typically am making .AVI or .WMV files. I can get the first use of Produce to work right, but about 50% of 2nd time I try it in an editing session, PD9 will hang - no CPU usage, no disk I/O activity, nothing. I wait 5 minutes and then kill PD9.

Any ideas on why this would occur?

Thanks.

Paul
paulbid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Actually, it's more like 100% of the time. I make a .WMV file, then try another one, with perhaps a different setting, and it will hang. I have to crash and restart PD9.
paulbid [Avatar]
[Post New]
This issue appears to be isolated to the creation of .WMV files. I can only make one .WMV file in a session. Even if I open another workspace, I cannot make more than one .WMV without restarting PD9.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Not on my system it doesn't

3 basics still apply here - let's see your system info and what you're doing.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 29. 2010 16:23

paulbid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Not sure what screen you want to see, so I attached both before the Produce task and the Produce task screen.

Paul
[Thumb - PD Screen Capture.JPG]
 Filename
PD Screen Capture.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Screen of timeline, etc.
 Filesize
177 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
172 time(s)
[Thumb - Produce Screen.JPG]
 Filename
Produce Screen.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Screen where I generate the WMV file
 Filesize
98 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
126 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
368 time(s)
abigailm28 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 03, 2011 15:14 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I've been getting this same problem but noone seems to be helping!
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Abigail,
Hi I've been getting this same problem but noone seems to be helping!

I looked at the topic you started and it would really help if you provided some more information. Just look at your topic and you will see the information that is requested. If I called my Doctor and said "I don't feel very good"...He will certainly ask me questions to zero in on what the cause might be. What you are experiencing is not "Normal"....so we need to try to eliminate the variables to target the problem.

Without more specifics, we can not really help very much....problems such as yours and in this topic can be caused by a variety of things. The information is helpful so that we can see more about your PC through the DxDiag report...a screen shot to see your project open on the timeline...this can tell us lots of information....

I can't stress to you enough how much it helps.....We have very little to go on without it....since we are all just video editors that use the software, we are only able to help if you help us.

Regards,

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi paulbid,

I looked at your screenshot and noticed you are using both mov and avi video files. More on that later. Thanks for providing the screenshot....very helpful!

Can you use the SAMPLE video....the nature mpg and place it on the timeline(track 1) 3 times. Then try to produce your video to the wmv to see if it is successful?

This will eliminate your mov and avi files from the equation as the potential cause of the problem. If you can produce the sample file to a wmv....

then place just a mov file on the timeline by itself....produce to a wmv....success? if yes....

place the just an avi file on the timeline....produce to a wmv.....success?

See what your results are and let us know how you make out. I just thought I would give you some ideas to narrow down what might be the problem. It could be one of the file types you are using may not be in the correct format and be causing PD to hang during production because the files might be falling outside one of the parameters...say resolution for instance.

Regards,

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 03. 2011 19:21

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
paulbid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Kevin,

I took your advice and tried a number of tests, and only once did it fail, so I'm not sure what is triggering it.

I did the SAMPLE .mpg 3x and it worked just fine.

I then added one .MOV file and it worked fine. I then added it 3x and it worked fine. I then added a SmartSound clip from Magic Music and it worked fine, then I tried it again, and it hung.

I restarted and tried to reproduce that setup with 3x .MOV and SS and now it works. I need to test some more tomorrow night and try the same test until I determine which one is breaking it.

But thanks for the suggestions.

Paul
paulbid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Kevin,

One quick update: the SmartSound clips are a red herring, because the last project I did, I avoided the use of Magic Music because of all the issues with those types of clips, and I still had the problem. It's some combination of creating the .AVI and .WMV files.

Paul
paulbid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Cyberlink just released a patch which looks like it may fix this issue. I will test it tonight.
paulbid [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, bad news. I just hung on the Produce function. I created an .AVI file, immediately followed by a WMV9 HD Standard Produce function, and the Produce immediately hung. So 2504 doesn't fix this problem on Win7 64 bit. Sigh.

Paul