Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 9 Ultra 64 Trial Question?
PwnDirector [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 22, 2009 09:43 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Hi..

Could you just clear up this question for me please..!!

Have the HD mpeg encoders been disabled in the Trial version ?..

The reason I asked is because, Even though I can choose the 1920 x1080 MPEG2 produce option,
The actual Quality isn't HD. If I import an image which is way over 2000-x3500 pixels into the video timeline,
its looks perfect in the preview window. But after production the Image has gone all blocky
as If I've just imported a low quality 300x600 pixel image..

If this is just trial issue then that's fine., But I need to find out why this
is happeing before I make a purchase..

As a note and comparison. When re-installing back to PD8. The produce Mpeg2 quality for 1920x1080
is by far better the PD9.

And Drivers all up to date :

So is this a trial Symptom!

Thankyou

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 28. 2010 07:45

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Not being a fly on your computer room wall and seeing the set up you have or the images used etc makes this pretty difficult to call or to input worthwhile data.
Please see the three basics below and provide them - these may or may not help members.

Dafydd
PwnDirector [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok Dafydd, Thankyou for replying so quicky..

But before I go through the arduous task of following the Three basic Steps. Which
in this case at this stage looks Irrelavant, But then That's your choice of course. .

I've noticed something very significant that may help us!..

When I go to the produce screen to start rendering my project.. At the the bottom left hand
corner of the screen it normally shows the estimated File size for the project..

This will change to a larger or smaller size, depending on length and quality of the project..

What I've just noticed is that my project of mpeg2 @ 1920x1080, Will be a projected 53MB for an
18 second clip. This is pretty normal..

BUT !, After I start the rendering it only produces a file of 7MB !! Around the actual Size it should be
if I were choosing a much lower Quality setting...

Anyway! I will try to do all those other procedures, If you still think it's really necessary.

Kind Regards

Simon.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Dec 28. 2010 08:43

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
I can't confirm the downgraded image quality when producing to a mpeg-2 file (BD1920x1080)

I can confirm that the estimated file size and the resulting file size is significantly lower. Signifiacant difference in file size between using Hardware Acceleration and NOT using it. I have always wondered why there would be a difference. But Hardware Acceleration cuts the bit rate in half!! See attached MediaInfo reports for each produced video

1. I imported 12 jpg images (3680x2070) both Landscape and Portrait.

Using Hardware Acceleration
2. Produced to a mpeg-2 BD 1920x1080 (BitRate of this default profile is 25.0 Kbps)
3. Estimated file size was 178.8 MB
4. Resulting file size was 75 MB
5. Bit Rate ended up being 10.5 Kbps
6. Resulting Picture quality was excellent

NOT using Hardware Acceleration
2. Produced to a mpeg-2 BD 1920x1080
3. Estimated file size was 178.8
4. Resulting file size was 136 MB
5 Bit Rate ended up being 19.1 Kbps
6. Picture quality was excellent

Final result: Picture quality was excellent for both produced videos, although the video produced without HA was better due to the increased bitrate that was used.

The other big problem is WHY does using Hardware Acceleration reduce the bitrate? Not sure if I like those results. But as long as I know what is going to happen then it isn't too much of a problem.

Kevin
 Filename
NO HA 19.1 Bitrate.txt
[Disk]
 Description
No HA used Bitrate was 19.9 Kbps
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
306 time(s)
 Filename
HA 10.5 bitrate.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Hardware Acceleration BitRate was 10.5 Kbps
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
290 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 28. 2010 10:20

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
But before I go through the arduous task of following the Three basic Steps. Which
in this case at this stage looks Irrelavant, But then That's your choice of course

No offence Simon, but it's actually your choice not Dafydd's.

And Drivers all up to date

If we all had a $1 or £1 for "all my drivers are up to date" and they turn out not to be, we would be able to buy several copies of PD9 each year. A review of the recent posts shows how common (and ineffective) the reliance on windows Update is - the common reason for the belief that "all my drivers are up to date".

Kevin has given an answer that might affect your issue, just as I could have, having done the test already but you give little hard information that might help folk help you.

There are reasons for the request (arduous or not) and often the provision of information does allow others to help out quickly, without having to ask, and ask and ask again for information to help sequentially troubleshoot another member's issue.

Please remember we are not technical support, just other editors giving our time voluntarily.

For completeness, ATi APP and NVIDIA Cuda may not work in the same way, historically, it seems system dependent. I happen to know Kevin has ATi (as do I) but we don't know what you have - so Kevin's answer may not be applicable (in which case he may have wasted his time).

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
I actually think my post should be in a new topic as Adrian pointed out it may or may not be relevant to your problem. It is hard to say as you haven't provided the basic information to sink our teeth into.

But providing the basic information isn't arduous. It is asked by most video editing forums as a means to speedily resolve a problem. It effectively reduces the time it takes to get a solid solution with the least amount of guessing by other members. I mean really...how long does it take to open your project in PD and take a screen shot of it? I timed how long it takes to create a DxDiag file and it took me about 35 seconds to complete the task.

When you feel like providing the information is arduous and an unnecessary step to find a solution....it can set a tone for the other members that it may be an arduous task to answer your question. It gives me the impression that you feel that the information is superfluous, which isn't the case at all.

Regards,

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
PwnDirector [Avatar]
[Post New]
Maybe you could explain to us how a screenshot of the workspace is going to help diagnose
encoder problem!..

No offence Simon, but it's actually your choice not Dafydd's.

The problem I have with this is that!, 99% of the time Were asked to post our personal
system information and our private project material on to this board, without explanation as
to how this will help solve the problem..

Not that I'm up to no good, But I don't feel entirely confortable posting Dxdiag, and screenshots
of my personal projects on a Pubic board. Without a very good reason..

It seems as though the willingness to offer help is 0. until the conditions of the 3 steps are met..

I've siffled this board for an hour and I still don't undertand how you attach files On a thread and find Dxdiag files.
So for me it is arduas..So i'm sorry if us pathetic stupid people can't do it all 20 secs..

P.s After Power director 9 ULtra stopped responding last night while producing my movie, I decided enough was enough.
I'll wait until this Program has matured a bit before I use it again, For now I've gone back to PD8 Ultra, Which
when you compare the 1920x1080 project outputs to PD9 the quality difference is astounding..

Thanks

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 29. 2010 07:15

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Simon,
I'm locking this thread.
1. The information on how to add attachments is in the guide you were directed to read.
2. Writing out explanations on what a screenshot provides!!! That depends upon what we see in the screenshot!!!!
3. You appear to want to "discuss" and not provide.
4. You're the one with the issue, not us.

The request was for basic info. As you wont provide any worthwhile data there seems little point is furthering this thread or providing you with any form of assistance.

"Arduous task" - reading simple instructions and looking over a screenshot pictorial guide is very(NOT) difficult!!

For further assistance https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 29. 2010 07:34