Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Add "fill" to the sides of a 4 x 3 photo faded into a 16 x 9 movie?
[Post New]
How do I add "fill" on the sides of photographs I'm inserting into a movie? I'm consolidating home movies and want to fade in/out some photographs I scanned. The movie is 16 x 9, and these old photos are 4 x 3. If I don't fill these in, the edges continue to show footage from the film clip. I'd much rather add "black bars" or something to fill in the sides. I tried "stretching" the photos to 16:9, but it distorts the image too much.

I also tried "overwriting" the photos directly on the movie timeline, but it seems better if I have the movie on one timeline and fade in/out the photos on another timeline directly below the #1 timeline.

I have about 50 photos I need to add into about 30 minutes of footage. Any suggestions? PD9 64 bit, ThinkStation W7Pro, XeonW3520@ 2.67ghz, 12gb RAM, Nvidia QuadroFX1800, Two 1TB Drives.
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
What I did with a similar situation is produce two Prjects, one at 4:3 using tour photos as slideshow, produce the video, exit..then create your video project using videos...produce that.
You can now either start new poject or contiinue to the 'Create Disc' Module creating your menu. Then in the "content" tab upper left import your slideshow porduction. It will come in as a chapter, and when viewed the pictures will display as 4:3 centered on a 16:9 screen with black surroundings.

JImM Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
You can also do as I have done by adding some items on the side. See video on Youtube. Maybe this will give you some ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3CGYHCAhsk Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Cameras. Panasonic AG-HMC40, GoPro Hero 3 Black
Edition.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
PD9 has multiple tracks and the area to the left and right of a 4:3 video displayed in a 16:9 are "voids" which display as black.

Place the 4:3 video into Track2
Place a still image as a background in Track 1
Make sure the image is expanded or it can be a 16:9 video or loop back ground video.
Select preview> play
You then will see the previous black areas display the contents of track 1.

You could also do a few other things to the 4:3 but that's for you to experiment with perhaps

Dafydd
The Oak [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 16, 2010 08:17 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
So if I understand the "tracks" correctly ...

The higher tracks have precedence.

Hence if I have a video on track 1 and place a picture on track 2, the picture will show over track 1 because the higher track wins.

Hence in this case.

Track 1: Video
Track 2: 16x9 Picture (or all black)
Track 3: 4x3 Picture

You can then have Track 2 and 3 fade in and out as desired with the video running in the background.

Do I understand things correctly? Dell Studio 1558 (laptop) * I5-520 * AMD HD 5470 * 4GB RAM - 1066MHz DDR3 * 320GB 7200RPM Hard Drive * Windows 7 Pro 64 bit * BluRay Burner
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Yep,
The higher the numbered the track, the dominant it is.

Dafydd