Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Surround Sound in PD9
gbainbridge [Avatar]
Newbie Location: United Kingdom Joined: Dec 03, 2010 13:46 Messages: 42 Offline
[Post New]
I'm still running the trial version of PD9 and I'm curious about its handling of surround sound.

The AVCHD files from my Panasonic camcorder are inherently 5.1 channel surround and that seems to be preserved through the edit, but everything in the timeline and the audio mixer screen only indicates stereo. Nor does there seem to be any way to positon sound (e.g. sound effects) in the surround field.

Downloading the manual from the website there is only a passing mention of Dolby, with no explanations whatsoever.

Can anyone explain how PD9 is supposed to handle surround sound, or point me to a reference.

Gary.
pjc3
Senior Member Location: Australia Joined: May 29, 2010 19:33 Messages: 247 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Gary,

IMO PD is poor for audio editing. It does preserve the original 5.1 audio if you select it in produce tab and it will mix stereo audio tracks to 5.1 but you have no control over the distribution of channels. Wave Editor (bundled with PD) is also only a 2 channel application.

So I use another NLE to tweak the audio if I need to.

Probably not the answer you wanted to hear. Panasonic SD9, Panasonic TM700, Panasonic SD600, GoPro HD Hero.
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Gary,

In Create Disc, select Disc Preferences, then select your preferred Disc Format, in Select Audio Encoding Format, select Dolby Digital, then select 5.1 channel from the drop down box.

As I don't use 5.1 channel, I do not know if you will obtain true 5.1 sound

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 16. 2010 15:40

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
gbainbridge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi pjc3,
Yes, I do normally use a dedicated sound program to add any music and sound effects, but as far as I can see there is no way to re-introduce the resulting files into PD9.

Does PD9 support any surround-sound audio formats e.g. 6-channel WAV files? I suspect not.

Hi Robert,
Yes I'm already doing that, but that only allows me to edit the original sound in 5.1 Often the original sound is unusable due to wind-noise etc., and I need to recreate it with music and effects.

What I'm really after is some explanation of how PD9 handles surround sound. It obviously does as it has the 5.1 option, but it seems to be very crude.

Gary.
pjc3
Senior Member Location: Australia Joined: May 29, 2010 19:33 Messages: 247 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi pjc3,
Does PD9 support any surround-sound audio formats e.g. 6-channel WAV files? I suspect not.

Gary.

Amazingly yes it does! (LPCM) But not AC3 files which is unfortunate.
gbainbridge [Avatar]
[Post New]
That's useful, I will do some more experimentation next week.

All I have to work out now is how to get the edited sound out of the program in a form that I can use.

Gary.
Brunodegoyrans [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 03, 2011 16:31 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have experimented pinnacle studio for one year. I won't say more about this software.

I currently test the PD9 trial version. As I also test other editing softwares.

Until now, PD9 is the best software I have ever tested: fast, easy, powerfull, etc.

But for me, a better sound editing is really required.
I would like to place the voice over on the dialog speaker, place the music on stereo speakers, keep the original 5.1 track (already done in PD9, OK), and put some effects in surround. This is the minimum. This could be an attribute of each sound channel.
In a second time, balancing channels more accuratly, like with Studio, would be even better.

Only for this reason, I still hesitate to buy PD9. And I really regret it.
If only I would have a promise that Cyberling works on that topic for a next release, it should be enough for me to become a new member.

gbainbridge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well my experimenting showed that PD9 does indeed accept LPCM interlaced 5.1 files as surround. That opens the possibility of doing any sound post-production in an external program. It would be nice though if PD9 could export an LPCM 5.1 file. At present the only way for me to get surround sound out of it is to import the Dolby encoded video file into another program to extract the audio.

Gary.