Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
upgrade PD8 to PD9 question
bobl [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Wisconsin, USA Joined: Aug 26, 2010 16:49 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have PD8 Deluxe, if I purchase the upgrade to PD9 Ultra, will that work or must I purchase the the full version of PD9. The reason I ask is I see from other forum responses that You should remove PD8 before Installing PD9 upgrade.

Bob Bob
[Post New]
bobi;
Cyberlink upgrade will recognize the installed versio of PD8 and will remove it during installation as needed.

I believe if you manually remove it prior to upgrade, you will be prompted for the PD8 Deluxe registration key to proceed.

I haven't done an UPGRADE in a while, so maybe others can answer this question definitively for you.
bobl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply, Fred.

I'm thinking there is not an upgrade path from PD8 Deluxe to PD9 Ultra other than the purchase of PD9 Ultra Full Version. Bob
[Post New]
I believe that version 7 and 8 can be upgraded to ULTRA64, but I do not see a clear answer as whether this is ULTRA to ULTRA64 or ANY version:

http://www.cyberlink.com/store/powerdirector/upgrade_en_US.html

BUT, these folks should have an answer for you
https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/service/technical-support.do
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
My understanding of the upgrade, is that you can upgrade any full retail version of 7/8 to PDR9 Ultra 64 bit for $US69.95 and it includes a free holiday pack.

Robert

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 16. 2010 15:47

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
[Post New]
Hey...EVEN I DIDN'T GET THE HOLIDAY PACK...what a deal
Aussieroo
Newbie Location: Canberra, Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2009 01:05 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Finally upgraded but NO holiday pack. HMMM. Reg
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
When I upgraded from PD8 to PD9, the "Holiday Pack" was prominently featured as a freebie. It was a separate download link on the order confirmation/instruction sheet. This was about 2 weeks ago.

But it looks like the Holiday Menu Pack is no longer free. It's a purchable add-on.

Ref: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/overview_en_US.html

I made a couple of DVD's using the Christmas templates. The music and animation is very pleasing.

-Allen
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Well Alan, it's still listed as a freebie if upgrading

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
You're right Mr. OZ! It's still there. Just a smaller banner now. I guess the closer to Christmas we get, the smaller it becomes! I have no idea why recent upgraders didn't get the Holiday Menu Pack link when they Purchased PD9, or upgraded to PD9. Either one qualifies. Except, maybe they didn't look far enough down on the page that contains the download links? It was the third link down on the page I believe.
-AC
bobl [Avatar]
[Post New]
Many thanks, again for all the comments. I just finished downloading and installing PD9 Ultra 64 upgrade and the free bonus pack. As some of you said, the install for PD9 uninstalled PD8 for me. The download was at build 2330.

I did a quick inspection and it looks like the new version is working ok so far. Bob
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi bobl,

Make sure you still have a backup copy of PDR8, you will need to install it first if you have to reinstall PDR9 upgrade, upgrades will not install without the previous version being on your system. Reinstalling the software seems to be part and parcel of video editing.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit

PDtoots
[Post New]
Robert,

In my case, I completely uninstalled PD8 prior to installing the PD 9 upgrade. All seems fine I just hope that after 30 days it doesn't tell me I have a trial version. What is odd is that Cyberlink did send me a message that stated "Thank you for using the CyberLink PowerDirector 9 trial version." That makes me a bit nervous as I paid the full upgrade price for PD 9. Redwing Roger

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium, Intel Core i7-860 2.8GHz processor, 8Gb DDR3 SDRAM, nVidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB graphics card, 2nd internal HD - WD Black Caviar 2TB. PD 9 Ultra, Build 9.00.2330
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Finally upgraded but NO holiday pack. HMMM.

I wouldn't worry to much about missing the holiday pack, a bit of a disappointment to me. I am just glad I didn't pay for it. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn