Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Help with Understanding System Internals
Ben0
Newbie Location: San Antonio, Texas USA Joined: Aug 10, 2010 16:06 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,

Can somebody broadly explain where, how PD8 keeps track of beginning and end points of portions of a clip that are included in a movie? I'm asking because I want to be able to do the minimum backup necessary as I work.

If PD8 is non-destructive, with the .pds file including an index of all pointers to those portions of clips used, then I just need to keep backups of the saved .pds and the full, original clips, correct? Or are other files created that I need to be aware of?

I don't want to mindlessly backup everything every work session even if it hasn't been modified.

Thanks,
was Ben, now neb. Due to the new "no dups" requirement of the Profile db, I am a changed man Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit
Intel i7-3930K 3.20 GHz, 32 GB Ram
NVIDIA GTX 580 1.5GB Ram
INTEL 240GB 520 Series SSD, 3TB Barracuda
LG BH14NS40 BD Burner
Kodak PlaySport: 1920x1080 @ 30fps, H.264(MOV), AAC
Kevin R.
Contributor Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:58 Messages: 320 Offline
[Post New]
Neb,
The pds files are not very space indusive. I keep my original video files in one folder and my save points in another, then when it's time to work some more on the project I simply go to the latest save point and open that in PD8.
Cheers!
Kevin R. ( The one who doesn't run a tug boat) Saving the world, one goofy video and meme at a time.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
If you want to make sure you have everything backed up for your completed projects I would suggest that you "Pack your project" it is under file-export-pack project.

Doing this copies everything you have used in creating your project like videos, audio etc and the pds file all to the one folder you specify. So if 6 months down the track you want to change it or just produce another video from it you don't have to worry if you still have everything you need. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Trevor George
Member Location: Bristol, UK. Joined: May 29, 2010 17:44 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: If PD8 is non-destructive, with the .pds file including an index of all pointers to those portions of clips used, then I just need to keep backups of the saved .pds and the full, original clips, correct?

Correct . . . However, if you are editing a particularly complex video, I would click the "Save" icon frequently.

I lost a lot of edits, by not doing that. I sometimes save after 10 edits, then save under a new name after 20 edits, eg (2)-filename, then do 20 saves in that, and so on.

As the video gets more fiddly and time consuming, I click "Save" after I've done each edit. It only takes a second, yet can save a lot of minutes of work and head scratching if you get the dreaded "crash".

It's great not to have to worry about a crash, and just to be able to resume from the most recent Project File after a re-boot Trevor . . My YouTube site . . (Bristol, UK) . . My JVC GZ-HM1 Camcorder