Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Slow Transitions with HD
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
These new transitions are a real pain, they need some significant improvements. When working with HD 24Mbps footage, adding a transition can be real time consuming.

1) Add about 60-70 HD clips to time line, ~90 minutes
2) Split one of the first clips and add a transition centrally located in the first minute or so, drag the left or right edge of the transition to increase duration. Sit back and wait, it takes 30+ seconds to shift the timeline
3) Do the same as 2 above but do it near the end of the ~90 minutes of video, timeline updates immediate

Obviously if you do it with only one or two clips in the timeline the updates are instant. Doing the same in PD8 creates no pause at all, timeline update instant.

Jeff

pjc3
Senior Member Location: Australia Joined: May 29, 2010 19:33 Messages: 247 Offline
[Post New]
Just did a quick test with 28Mbps 1080p60 clips and can confirm.

But then having 70 HD clips and 90 mins in one single project is ambitious in my mind. I try to chop up my projects to 10-15 mins and then combine later. Panasonic SD9, Panasonic TM700, Panasonic SD600, GoPro HD Hero.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for verification and comment.

At one time I would have said ambitious, I don't think it should be anymore when PD9 supports the 128GB blu ray and computer speed and GPU speed has improved substantially and continues. The 128GB blu ray is a lot of 10min clips, ~70 of them. For me it depends a lot on my project and the project intent. If I have a section with lots of editing I break out as you indicate to aid the editing experience. However, since it worked fine in PD8, I don't think we should have to take a step back with editing ease in PD9.

Jeff
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,

The problem is worth.

I have recreated your project with 100 HD clips (total length just 30min). You are right, it takes about 1minute to shift the timeline, but guess what?

Only occurs in “OVERLAP MODE”. Switching to “CROSS TRANSITION” also takes 1 minute to switch, but then, dragging the left or right edge of the cross transition, only takes 1second to shift the timeline.

So we can say: Use cross transition and you are not going to wait so long? WRONG. It worth the headache, because since PD9 default is OVERLAP and users can’t change that, you must wait a eternity to switch all transitions from overlap to cross.

I will be nice if CL release a urgent patch to let user select the default transition mode and check why overlap transitions take so long to process.

===========================
Quote: This is a users forum for PD users to share video editing tips, tricks, ideas, comments and so on.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4845.page

Does We all need to create a ticket on CL TS about the cross/overlay problem?. We are not in beta test anymore, but I know that sometimes Dafydd have pass to CL the issues comments like this topic, so we can add to the word "comment issues" to the list

Regards,
Nicolas

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 03. 2010 12:08