Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Try to save but whites out losing complete video
[Post New]
Ok so there I was putting together this little 9 min video with numerous clips and fade transitions. I was working at the end of the vid just trying to get the music and video in sync and clicked the save icon on the top LH corner. It turned blue as it had done many times during this video but this time it stayed blue and the cursor had this blue circle going round and round. The whole screen whited out so it had to be closed down. The computer was making a strange humming sound at this time. Aaaaaaaargh!
When I reopened it it had lost all the clips in the library and on the timeline. The timeline is still there but black where the clips are supposed to be. The music and titles are still there.

If I remember correctly this happened to me once before but I can't remember what happened. I looked in my backup HDD but it is not there either.

What can I do to get these clips back in the timeline before I go completely mad?

Thanks guys.

Phil. Phil
Tell the truth - but gently.

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

[Post New]
BTW when I tried to log on I got so much trouble being told my password was wrong and that I had a wrong user name so I changed my u/N from 7Phil7 to 7Phil77. Oh boy! Phil

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
You might try looking in this "hidden" folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR PC NAME HERE\Application Data\CyberLink\PowerDirector\8.0\AutoSave

Power Director, by default, autosaves the project that you are working on....every ten minutes to this folder. So you might be able to open one of these to reopen your project.

Regards,

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
[Post New]
After 3 days with no internet connection.....

Thanks Cap'n Kevin. I found the saved files and initially I was able to open one of them albeit about the same as my saved file - all blacked out where the video clips and fade transitions should be.
However, after trying different dates/times I can get none of them to open.
There are about 18 different "saves" but none will now open.
The one that did open at first had no clips in the library though.

Actually I've just discovered I can't even open PD at all!

Ok fixed that - just have to log off and start again and it opens ok but every saved file for the last day (16th Nov) still has just black spaces where the clips & fades should be. Earlier saves are just the same but much less data on the timeline and no clips in the library!

It seems that the clips in the timeline just need the link data (location on the disc) to bring them back to life. No, I haven't changed the location on the disc. I seem to recall that I solved this same problem some months ago on another project but can't remember how to now.

Also, playing back either the saved or auto saved version there is no music even though the music is shown on the music track. The only thing that plays back are the titles!

Any ideas please?

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Nov 19. 2010 04:12

Phil

PD14 Ultra

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Phil,

4 Things you can provide that will help us a lot to solve your problem:

1. Attach a screen shot of your project after it has loaded...include the entire screen to include the Media Library, Preview screen and timeline are visible.

2. Attach a DxDiag file. Get to your RUN command...enter DxDiag....save the results as a text file and attach to your post.

3. What version and build are you using? 8 Ultra? Build #? Go to directors Chair Icon....select HELP....Select ABOUT....numbers should be visible 8.00.????......fill in the question mark.

4. What are the properties of your original source clip. The BEST way to give us this info is to download a free little app...MediaInfo....once it is installed...right click on one of the video files you are using and then save the results as a text file and post it here. It will have resolution...bit rate...blah blah blah!!

Looking forward to your response.

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 19. 2010 05:17

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
I will also add:

More than likely you have your Shadow edit files set to ON. This has been reported to CAUSE the problem depending on the set of circumstances that I don't think anyone knows how to replicate. You can check by if yours are set to ne on by:
1. Go to Directors Chair Icon
2. Select EDIT
3. Select PREFERENCES.
4. Select the GENERAL tab.
5. I would suggest UNchecking the "enable file processing....."

Bottom Line:

If you weren't prompted to BROWSE for the lost files when you tried to open your project, then this is over my head. You will nedd to probably open the pds project file with Notepad and then manually enter in the missing location information of your original clips. I have never done this before, but I am aware that it can be done.

You might need to start your project over....but I could be wrong.

Regards,

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 19. 2010 05:51

[Post New]
Kevin,

Enable file processing is UNchecked already.

Thanks.

I will try to get the other info.

How do I attach a screen shot of my project?

I prefer not to start again from scratch for 2 reasons - 1. It might do the same thing to me when I finish the project and go to save it!! 2. It is a lot of work - hours.

Tks,

Phil

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 19. 2010 07:36

Phil

PD14 Ultra

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Ok....Shadow edit files is already unchecked.

The big Question now is.....Were you prompted to browse for the missing video files when you reopened your project?

If not....then you either need to edit your pds file in Notepad to indicate where the files are located. This I don't know how to do....but several others in the forum may know how to do it.

Or start over......

Just a tip, something that many of us have learned to do: When you save your project while editing it....ALWAYS use the "SAVE AS" and sequentially add a number to your project name. Project001...Project002, Project003, etc. etc. If you only SAVE your project and something goes wrong then that is all you have......having sequentially named project files to revert back to can often be a lifesaver.

Regards,

Kevin
[Post New]
"The big Question now is.....Were you prompted to browse for the missing video files when you reopened your project?"

No.

"Just a tip, something that many of us have learned to do: When you save your project while editing it....ALWAYS use the "SAVE AS" and sequentially add a number to your project name. Project001...Project002, Project003, etc. etc. If you only SAVE your project and something goes wrong then that is all you have......having sequentially named project files to revert back to can often be a lifesaver. "

I'll certainly try to follow that advice next time!

Thanks Kevin. Phil

PD14 Ultra

[Post New]
I filmed the project on one day 13th Nov.

In the auto save folder it shows -

12 items for the 13th

5 items for the 14th

2 items for the 16th

However, ALL timelines show blacked out video clips and transitions and have no clips in the library except the music tracks.

So the whiteout which lost all clips in the timeline on the 16th also acted retrospectively back to the 13th too.

I am now able to open them all and the music also plays.

I have tried changing the Alias to the proper name for the first clip but that didn't work.

I also changed one word in the name of the project and the PDS file before it was auto saved on the 16th. Would that affect things?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 19. 2010 19:13

Phil

PD14 Ultra

[Post New]
Fixed it!!

Went to the Auto Save files and clicked on the last one saved.

As it tries to open the file a box comes up saying "An error has occurred trying to open this media" and gives you three button options - 1) Browse 2) Ignore 3) Ignore all.

Click on 1) Browse and find the file for the project. (I had previously clicked on "Ignore all" to get it to continue)

On the LH side is the list of video files (manilla files).

On the RH side are all the clips for that file.

Click on the relevant manilla file and then click 'open'.

BINGO - it opens with all the relevant files in the library with green ticks on all and the timeline eventually appears with all the edited clips in place!!

Phew!

Thanks Kevin.

Phil

PD14 Ultra

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
That is great news!! I am glad you "browsed" your way to the solution!!

Glad that you are back on track.

Kevin