Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Dead Icon
Smith [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 30, 2006 15:14 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have used PD 5 for around a year. Today my desktop icon stopped working. When I click I get hourglass for about a second then nothing. If I try to start program by going to start button, I get the same thing. I reinstalled PD and checked for new verions, but did not find any. Anybody else having similar problems, or have any suggestions? TIA
Jeff [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Michigan U.S.A. Joined: Apr 08, 2007 01:48 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Have you tried going to C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector & clicking on PDR.exe? If that works, the problem is some dead shortcuts. Good Luck
McCullough [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 27, 2007 19:19 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know if you ever solved this or not, but I have had the same problem. These are a couple of things that have worked for me (no one solution works every time, but hey, I'm too cheap to buy another program):

There were two old dll files in the Powerdirector program, so I replaced the comctl32.dll and msvcp60.dll with newer versions found in the windows system 32 folder. This worked to get the program opened and working at the time, but lo and behold, later that same month it stopped opening again. Then I...

...noticed that when I opened task manager the pdr.exe process was running, even though it did not show that the program was running, and when I ended that process in task manager, the program opened again. But again, the program stopped opening for a time, and so today I...

...found a file called pdr.exe.manifest on my hard drive, and when I right clicked and told it it "open with" the "VideoEditorTL" program, Powerdirector opened.

I think maybe I'll just leave it open forever at this point!

I'm not all that computer savvy, but these things have worked for me so far, and maybe someone will answer my query as to why the pdr.exe.manifest file opens the program.