Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
All video clip freeze frame?
skymanta [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 01, 2010 08:54 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Just getting started with PD-8. When I put video into timeline and split the clips to move them around and play back the movie, each clip will freeze frame for a mico second befor the next clip starts to play. Very noticable in playback. I do alot of fast moving action video shooting with 2 cameras at differant locations and edit back and forth. I can not get the action to flow from one clip to the other. Very jumpy looking. What gives? I have not had this problem with other editing software. New computer I-7 core with 1 G video card and 12 gig ram. not the system I would think.

Thanks for any help
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Is the freezes or pauses still there after you produce the video?

And do you have your preview set to high resolution and real time preview?

It is normal to see that pause in the preview when playing across the splits on the timeline. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

skymanta [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did produce the video into an .avi and the momentary freeze went away. How ever, doing this would make my job very difficult since a frame one way or another can make a big difference. I have to see it on the time line 10-20 times in real time to make sure it flows and make adjustments. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW it makes no difference high or low res or real time. its always there
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Recently, I found that a one frame cut (Split) does not work in PD8.

It is too short. PD8 does not allow that short a cut.

The Trim module does allow a 1 frame edit.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 09. 2010 15:26

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
What graphics card do you have? Is in actually in the video, or is it just a playback issue? Set PD to movie mode and step through the transition frame by frame and see what happens. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Just as a reminder, to step through your video one frame at a time you use the ","(comma) and (.) full stop key. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
skymanta [Avatar]
[Post New]
It must be a a play back issue. each frame is there on the time line. playback stalls momentarily before it moves to the next clip. Jaime, the video card is a GEFORCE 1G "CUDA" . I can work around this knowing that the produced output is smooth. I just wont have the luxury of watching it in preview before its produced to an AVI file.

I did try something last night. I put the raw video into another editing software, (P-14) and did all the clips just the way I wanted them and made an AVI of the whole thing. Loaded the AVI into PD-8 and finished it up. much faster rendering and better graphics in PD-8. I guess great realtime playback from the time line and precise editing of clips will never meet in a $100.00 editing software

Thanks all who helped with this
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
I guess great realtime playback from the time line and precise editing of clips will never meet in a $100.00 editing software

The other very important variable is what you are using for your source video files. Depending on what you are using for a video camera, you might not be able to attain smooth playback during editing no matter what you have for hardware. It is a well reported question in the forums....New cameras are released all the time with their own unique way of producing video output. They are not all the same unfortunately. And it is probably not realistic to have Power Director react by producing a patch every time a camera manufacturer decides to implement a new way to create a video file. I don't think that the camera manufacturers send video sample files to all the video editing software producers so that they can develop a patch for the new video.

They may produce a familiar video file container for the video...avi, mpg, mts, m2ts, etc. etc., but that doesn't mean that Power Director is going to be able to decode it fast enough to play smoothly in the preview window. Some cameras produce video files that just don't play back smoothly. The other Video editing packages all have the same problem, just read the forums. You might find another to use your footage better but, but it all depends on the day of the week for the next person.

It's a vicious cycle that takes time to catch up with each other. There just seems to be too many variables right now.

For me...Power Director works very smoothly with my Sony raw footage when playing back on the timeline. And for under $100, it is a superb value.

Regards,

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
TimnotBububux1 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: UK Joined: Nov 03, 2010 18:56 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
This sounds like my problem. Any updates on how the problem can be avoided? .
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Just for info:

The following information applies to PD8.

Split = no shorter than 3 frames*
Trim = 1 frame

Split is a timeline action and the 3 frames limitation is to do with applying a transition between two clips or an end clip.

*Transition length = no greater than half the length of the shortest clip.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 09. 2010 12:14

Richard1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 01, 2007 18:09 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I have experienced the momentary pause between clips and apparently at the beginning and/or end of transitions, and also apparently with use of PIP clips. And sometimes they have appeared in the burned DVDs, but not always. Sometimes the preview playback is full of these things but the DVD ends up as clean as could be (almost never 100% clean, but close to it. What is most important to me is that the DVD burns clean. Preview smoothness is secondary and not very important if I knew the burn was going to be clean. And I think that the strongest point of an editing program should be the accurateness of frame-by-frame burning in perfect sync. Does that exist?