Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
"Follow the Bouncing Ball"
CharlesDallas [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 07, 2009 15:27 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there,

Can anyone guide me through the process of creating a "follow the bouncing ball" technique. I have a music video and want to add the words at the bottom of the screen and have a red ball bounce on each word in rhythm as the words are sung.

I have PD8

Thanks
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Charles -

I hope it's a very short song! Luckily, they have a habit of repeating themselves, so you'll be able to duplicate some motion paths.

Check out Cranston's tutorial on PiP Motion. It'll help get you started... http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots#p/u/10/4gPt7y6ipo0

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
CharlesDallas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony,

It is short. It is Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer--around 2 minutes. I have done minimal PIP with motion, but I can't wrap my head around trying to do it to a beat.

Any more thoughts besides the one tutorial?

Charles
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Charles -

Possibly a simpler way to do it, rather than have the ball bouncing is to have it appearing instead... might be a ball over the word or a line under the word.

Rudolph does have exactly the same rhythms repeated, so copying & pasting will help save you work!

I'll give it some more thought.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
CharlesDallas [Avatar]
[Post New]
What about this thought:

I have a green screen room available to me. I could make a movie with only the lyrics and music, then project the movie onto the green screen.

I could then take a ball attached to a green stick of some sort and make the "follow the bouncing ball" movements myself.

Would this work?

Charles

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 03. 2010 11:26

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Charles,

Tony has pretty much covered it. But here’s 2 more cents worth.

I haven’t found a “easy” way to accomplish what you are attempting. But here are a couple of possible options.
(See the short streaming video example attached).

The first method, as Tony suggested, is to use PIP Motion and Key frames to animate Mitch Miller’s bouncing ball.
(Let’s just pause a second here to give that giant deafening whoosh sound of the Mitch Miller reference going over the younger heads, a chance to to die down at bit, hahaha)
If you’re not all that familiar at working with Key Frames, then… well… it’s like that old joke…
Visitor: Excuse me sir. How do I get to Carnegie Hall?
New Yorker: Practice.

An easier method may be to type out each phrase of the lyrics of the song in the Title track. Then while monitoring the song in real time play back, create a Split in the Title track, as each word appears in the song.
Then open each of these Split segments in the Text track, and in Title Designer, change the color of the appropriate word. (You could do this without using the Chroma Key method you suggested)

Both methods are indeed do-able (as demonstrated in the attached video), but they do require one to roll up their sleeves and set some time aside. Because both methods are a bit labor intensive (depending on your definition of Labor and Intensive).
However, as Tony suggested, for repeated phrases, simply using Copy/Paste could save a lot of extra work, and some minor tweaking may be all that’s needed for repeated phrases.

Filename
BounceBallMotion.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2407 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
859 time(s)
Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
CharlesDallas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Cranston,

You are the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will find the time and the intensiveness to get this done. (unless you have a paypal account and want to charge me to do it)

Charles
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hahaha, you’ll get it Charles. Just takes a little practice and experimentation.
Good Luck!
Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips