Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
cant see Hi DEF Quicktime movie in PD8 and Win 7 64bit
SIMON [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 10, 2010 05:01 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Does anyone know how I might be able to view and edit Hi DEF Quicktime movie in PD8 and Win 7 64bit.
The file imports OK, I can hear it but I only get white where the vidoe should be. It happens outside PD too? I need help
SIMON [Avatar]
[Post New]
UPDATE:

Can I install a mac Final Cut PRo codec in Windows 7..IF so where? I found this forum which explains my problem and a solution but I don't know where to put the codec now ive got it.

Yes, it is true that the HDV codec, and others, only come with FinalCutPro. However, if you know someone that has FCP, the codec is is only one file and can be easily copied over without having to install the entire FCP application on your machine.

The codecs are located on your Mac in the /Library/Quicktime folder. The HDV codec is called 'AppleHDVCodec.component'. If you can find someone that has it (or I’m sure it is floating around the internet somewhere) you just need to drop it into that folder and your HDV encoded files that once only played audio will play just fine.

After figuring this out today, we tested it on a Mac without FCP and it worked like
a champ.

Love to have it working for me!

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there Simon -

My suggestion would be to download & install the K-Lite Codec Pack fromhttp://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

and the 64-bit add-on from http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K-Lite_Codec_Pack_64-bit.htm

I run these on Win7 (64-bit) and have no trouble viewing, importing or previewing video files, including HD Quicktime MOV files.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
SIMON [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Tony,

I've installed them but have still had no luck unfortunately. I have imported the video from dvd made through Final Cut Pro. The are .MOV files. Im wondering weather FCP does something to thwe files which needs a special codec?
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Simon,

If you could attach a short 10 second clip of your raw video footage to a subsequent post we could then download it and see if we can find a fix. Power in numbers!!

The only other thing I was thinking of if it were me would be to make sure my graphic card drivers were the very latest. I have seen posts of a similar variety where this update has corrected some color playback problems. Not exactly like your symptom, more on the lines of green screens and color and hue problems....but hey it's worth a shot.
Go directly to the manufacturers website for drivers, don't rely on windows to update them.
ATI Radeon? http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
NVIDEA? http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
Something else? www.youareonyourown.com

Regards,

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 18. 2010 06:46

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
heinzb58 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 23, 2009 08:42 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Download the newest Quicktime at http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/ install and try again, perhaps it will help Greetings from Switzerland
Heinz
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Just a couple of quickies...

.MOV files off a DVD??? Is it a data DVD or one you can play in a DVD player?

Kevin - I checked out that website, but there was nothing else there... just me. What's the deal???

The captain's sample clip suggestion will be the quickest way to resolve this for you - only trouble is - it isn't raw footage. Anyway - worth a go.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

regarding www.youareonyourown.com

Kevin - I checked out that website, but there was nothing else there... just me. What's the deal???

You see Tony,...the way that site works...is....well......it only allows one person at a time to visit it.....you just missed me when I left it!

Simon wrote:
I have imported the video from dvd made through Final Cut Pro. The are .MOV files.

I know Tony, this may be a bit difficult to cut out a 10 second clip from an entire DVD. It does sound like it may be a DATA Disc with mov files on it though as opposed to mpeg-2 files. But maybe he knows how to do it somehow. Maybe we need someone with Final Cut Pro to produce a mov file as a sample?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 18. 2010 06:58

SIMON [Avatar]
[Post New]
these are all files off a data disk. They were recorded from a camera and downloaded via Final Cut Pro from a friend
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Hi Simon,

these are all files off a data disk. They were recorded from a camera and downloaded via Final Cut Pro from a friend

Great....can you attach a very short example then?

Kevin
SIMON [Avatar]
[Post New]
try this
 Filename
Camera1-19.mov
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
37368 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
205 time(s)
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]

You will probably have to convert the video to make it compatible with PD8 or the Qucktime player V7.6.7 (current update).

This is a tutorial that gives the instructions.
http://www.tunecore.com/images/video/dv25_tutorial.pdf

The problem with the video is the color sampling rate of 4.1.1 Powerdirector and Windows uses 4.2.0. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
See attached MediaInfo on the file:

I also updated Quicktime to version 7.6.7 and that doesn't play it.
 Filename
Simon mov.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
373 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 18. 2010 12:40

heinzb58 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 23, 2009 08:42 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
On my older computer with XP it is possible to play the file with the VLC media player Greetings from Switzerland
Heinz
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Everything that I am reading isn't good news.

The hdv3 video codec that Final Cut Pro has used makes it very difficult to open with anything that I have tried. Lots of references on the web with a variety of video editng programs that are having the exact same issue. White Screen with audio only.

I read one post that said they were able to convert it to a useable format using TMPGEnc Xpress 4.0. I tried it as well with no success. It can't read the video without this proprietary codec. I thought Apple was supposed to be friendlier than PC's??

I'm stumped!

EDIT:
Heinz wrote:
On my older computer with XP it is possible to play the file with the VLC media player

Does it play with VLC Media Player on your new computer?

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 18. 2010 13:50

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Ok so I found one solution.

Download this FREE Open Source video encoder called MediaCoder Choose betwwen 32 or 64 Bit applications.
http://www.mediacoderhq.com/dlfull.htm

It actually is quite easy to use.

I was able to convert it to a mp4 format with a pretty decent bit rate of 20,000Kbps and it played back in all my players and was imported into Power Director without a problem.

Regards,

KEvin
[Thumb - Simon hdv3 codec.PNG]
 Filename
Simon hdv3 codec.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
sample playback capture
 Filesize
939 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
275 time(s)
[Thumb - MediaCoder.PNG]
 Filename
MediaCoder.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
MediaCoder settings capture
 Filesize
121 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
252 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 18. 2010 14:48

SIMON [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for trying everyone. I might try and get my friend to send the the video in a different format. Grrr
SIMON [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well Done Kevin for finding that solution. I was keen not to have to convert because i have alot of footage. May ultimately have to yet however.

Cheers
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Hi Simon,

Your friend could definately send it to you again in another format...m2ts perhaps?

The MediaCoder was very fast converting that file. From what I can see you could import all the files at once and convert them all in one step, so it would be pretty easy to do.

And now I know what a hdv3 codec is! That was some interesting research. I am sure that there are lots of other converters to use instead, but I was lookinng for a FREE one.

Someone might be able to figure out how to get it imported directly into PD8, but that was way over my head!

Good Luck,

Kevin