Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD can't handle recording in 60fps?
Shane [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 06, 2010 04:05 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I have been having issues with PD when dragging my raw files into the project where the video quality was degraded. Viewing the raw files in preview mode or in quicktime showed excellent quality. Only after it has been dragged in the project did I notice degredation. I have come to find out that the issue may be because PD doesn't translate 60fps videos into 60fps in the projects. Is this true for you all? This could be the reason I was having trouble. I know you can customize your produced videos with special bitrates, and fps, but that is already after it has been translated into 30fps in the actual project timeline. Please enlighten me with your knowledge. If this is true, then why buy HD cameras that can record in 60fps(excellent quality) if PD can't handle it?
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Where are you seeing the trouble with quality, in the preview or the finished movie? I shoot in 60i AVCHD and when I produce to HD the quality is excellent. Also, when I produce to 30p it is excellent. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Shane [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 06, 2010 04:05 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
OK,
Raw File = Awesome
Preview within Power Director = Awesome
Dragged into project timeline = Reduced Quality
Anything after that no matter what = Same Reduced Quality
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
What format is your raw file and what are you producing it to? __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Online
[Post New]
The issue of "quality" has been, and will continue to be, the subject of much discussion and will always be a balance between technology - of capturing, editing and viewing systems - and the eye of the beholder.

PD is based on 2 frame rates NTSC (29.97 frames per second) or the common implementation of PAL (25 frames per sec). This is chosen at the start of a project.

Any raw material - 60p, 60i, 50i etc etc - will need to be "translated" to whichever project format is chosen. I do not have access to the exact algorithms that PD uses to do this.

Edited material can then be produced in many formats but based on 30/25 fps.

The timeline preview player will not usually display the edited footage to its best - the performance seems to be governed by the system and graphics specs.

The finally produced material should be able to come pretty close to the original but this depends entirely on the file formats and profile chosen. Not all formats are customisable.

Of course, perceived quality will depend on the viewing method and on the content. For example, it should make little difference if a static brick wall is shot at 60p or 15 fps, nor would much improvement be made shooting an artillery shell at 60 rather than 30fps.

From experience, discussions around quality are notoriously difficult to agree on without examples and a degree of technical analysis - often difficult to achieve "at a distance".

I think most folk experiment to find the best compromise for their particular purposes - web content, BD, media play/streaming, standard DVD etc.

You should be able to achieve a reasonable output but it will never be as good as the original, particularly with a reasonably priced consumer NLE product.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Adrian,

Well said and you hit on all the points regarding quality!

I am sure that the Bread Baking forums have similar quality discussions..."My bread just doesn't have the right texture, why?".....and the factors involved in creating the right texture are almost infinite....altitude, oven type, gas, electric, wood.....flour source... relative humidy level, ambient temperature (dough rising conditions)....etc. etc.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 10. 2010 06:59

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.