Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Importing MPEG 4 Files
Oldexpat [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 29, 2007 10:58 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am getting an error message when I try to import MPEG 4 files into Power Director Version 5.

Since all my raw footage is shot usingh MP4 I need to be able to import it to edit and work on the project.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ian

Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ian,
I don't think PowerDirector 5 supports MP4 files. This is from the PowerDirector 5 FAQ:

What file formats can be imported by PowerDirector?
• Video: .avi, .dat, .mpe, .mpg, .mpeg, DivX (requires codec),
.wmv
• Audio: .mp3, .wav, .wma, .asf
• Photo: .bmp, .gif, .jpe, .jpeg, .jpg, .png, .tif, .tiff

Looks like you'll need to upgrade to version 6 if you want to edit them in PowerDirector. (From the help file for version 6):

CyberLink PowerDirector supports the import of the following file
formats:
Image: JPEG, TIFF, BMP, GIF, PNG
Video: HD MPEG-2, DVR-MS, DV-AVI, DAT, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, VOB, VRO,
WMV, WMV-HD, MOV, MOD, DivX, MP4
Audio: MP3, WAV, WMA, ASF
Oldexpat [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 29, 2007 10:58 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks

I've used the software that came with the camera to export my MP4 files as MPGs.

This is cumbersome but works

I wold have looked for another editor if I had caught on to this before I bought PD 5. After buying the software what's the big deal about providing a patch to import lates file types?

Very annoying
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks
I've used the software that came with the camera to export my MP4 files as MPGs.
This is cumbersome but works
I wold have looked for another editor if I had caught on to this before I bought PD 5. After buying the software what's the big deal about providing a patch to import lates file types?
Very annoying

I understand your position in having a software that wont capture the format your camera captures/renders to - must be extremely annoying. The basic issue here is should CL issue a patch to read a format in an early version (PD5) when they've worked on and have added this new format* to the latest version (PD6). The simple answer is no they shouldn't. The spec of the program was available when you purchased the license to use the software.

*captured format that a program needs to recognize to edit which PD5 cant.

You were also able to upgrade free of charge if you purchased PD5 (from CL) within 30 days of the release of the latest version - an opportunity you might have benefited from.

PD6 has more refinements and is a delight to use.

Best of luck.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2007 06:27