Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Preview freezes at transitions but only after PD8 has been shut down and reopened
[Post New]
Hi again.

I have taken a deep breath and decided to start a thread following on from my previous thread back in May -

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/11361.page#52353

I have followed many instructions from here on the forum, installed new software, followed instructions from Support but to no avail.

I thought I had solved the problem but I have it back with a vengeance. This only happens with Full HD Progressive. All other formats are ok. I have undertaken exhaustive tests.

I have just shot a wedding in Full HD Progressive on my Xacti VPC-FH1 and put the clips in the Timeline and added Fade transitions between clips. After closing PD down overnight and reopening the next day it freezes at the first transition. The cursor keeps moving along and plays the audio. Then pressing either the Pause or Stop button it locks up for exactly 9 seconds before you can operate anything else. However, moving the cursor manually over the transitions is ok and the video keeps up and doesn't freeze.
The only way to unfreeze the preview is to change the length of the transition. You know, 20 transitions in the video. Piece of cake!
Another way to have it freeze at transitions is to change the playback quality. You don't even have to close it down to get this to happen.

I did a search to see if there were any answers out there or if any others were experiencing similar problems. I noticed that Andy never got an answer to his exact same problem.
See here - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/10098.page#44673
I noticed that an 8 page thread of Fred's didn't seem to get a solution.
See here - http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/90/7771.page

Yesterday I downloaded a trial version of Corel VideoStudio X3 and edited the whole wedding the same day with no problems. Put simply, I didn't need to follow a lot of instructions to correct a problem - it just did it for me. I didn't need to get depressed and upset wondering why it was like this - it just did it for me

Please can someone explain to me why Corel can do it ok and Cyberlink cannot?

Thanks,

Phil

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 29. 2010 09:04

Phil
Tell the truth - but gently.

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

[Post New]
Now when the movie opens in the timeline all the video clips are black with 0.00 figs in them and when it plays there is no audio and no video.

Does anyone know what is going on there please?

The original problem of freezing on transitions ONLY happens on clips which are 1920 x 1080 (60frames/sec progressive, 24Mbps).
Other 1920 x 1080 specs are ok and do not freeze. ie interlaced, 60 fields/sec, 16Mbps and Progressive, 30 frames/sec, 12Mbps.
So it looks like it is the 24Mbps which is problematic to Cyberlink.

Thanks again for your help. Phil

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Have you turned off the file processing in preferences?
Alt+C, general tab.

File processing is a known bug in PD8.
Latest update of PD8 is a good thing also. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Carl,

Thanks for the suggestion but file processing was already turned off.
I see Chad has bumped Andy's original thread on the same issue back into the spotlight again.
You cannot imagine the lengthy instructions Support gave me recently after waiting a week to get back to me.

Thanks again,
Phil

PD14 Ultra

[Post New]
Ok, so now, after communications with Chad and earlier, RobertS, I have managed to get it to play using only 2 processors out of the 8 on the i7-920 chip.
I'm not entirely sure of what the other settings I have tampered with are set at but it works now.

This setting of 2 processors was from using 'msconfig' in the Start menu and then clicking on it and going to the second tab, "Boot' and clicking on 'Advanced options. Then the 'Number of processors' box is ticked and in the drop down menu selected '2'. I had previously set this figure to 2 but it had reset to 1. I had even reset it to 4 as well as I had read this would improve 'Boot up time'.
As I write this I can clearly see the bmem display showing only 2 processors working. I will check the status from time to time. Presumably it needs all 8 processors for rendering and burning? It will be interesting to find out if it automatically uses them all without me needing to reset it.

It would appear that Cyberlink has a problem with preview playback with Full HD at 60 fps (24Mbps).

It may well be that I will only be using 30 fps (12Mbps) in future.

Thanks to Chad, RobertS and others who have helped. Phil

PD14 Ultra

[Post New]
But now that I have selected 2 processors to run in "Boot" the computer will not boot up when switched on. The fans run full tilt and the screen stays blank. I have to press the reboot button which means the computer then starts up from scratch and not from the sleeping mode.

So I obviously went to change the "BOOT" to let's say 4 processors but found it only has as an option either 1 or 2. The other options which were there have vanished!
Ha!!!

Now then - does anyone know how to get me out of this mess please? Phil

PD14 Ultra

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe,

Run msconfig, select Normal Startup. Reboot. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Carl,

Thanks for that - yes, it worked!
I changed it to 8 and just started it up this evening after being out at work all day and the screen lit up with all the icons almost immediately.

Thanks again for your help. Phil

PD14 Ultra

[Post New]
I've been having a similar problem.. only shows up with 60fps video. In my case the playback freezes at transitions as you described however it almost always ends in a total freeze of PD8. I think it may also have to do with running a 64 bit version of Windows as I have friends who use PD8 to edit video in 60fps using 32 bit windows and have no issues whatsoever.

I'll let you know if I figure it out. Frustrating.
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
Hello 7Phil7,

I just can tell you what CL never tells us and only find it out after a lot of hard working:

In Preference:
1. Uncheck AUTO SAVE
2. Uncheck SVRT
3. Uncheck SHADOW FILES (if you a fast computer)

That may solve a lot of troubles with PD